“2012 Holiday”

Alegria - The Goan Village
Ranked #29 of 69 Hotels in Candolim
Reviewed 21 February 2012

We have just returned from a lovely 2 weeks in Candolim. We should have been staying at the Sonesta inns, where we stayed 2 years ago, and were disappointed to have been moved however as it turns out we liked the Goan Village better.

Although the Goan Village was not quite the same standard as Sonesta it was a very nice hotel in a very good location for lots of shops and restaurants. Our room, 304, was spacious and kept clean with a well stocked fridge (supermarket prices). However when the room was cleaned sometimes the clean towels were not delivered but contact with reception soon rectified this. The staff were all friendly and helpful and the food good especially the porridge at breakfast. the BBQ nights were good but I dont think they advertise them well enough. We had read on trip advisor that some of the rooms had noise from the dogs out back and we did hear these but it did not cause us a problem.

The beach is just a short walk from the hotel and we used to use the beach shack Club 21 which was great. We were looked after very well by Suresh and Bibi and the food was lovely.

There were so many good restaurants within easy reach of the hotel but some of the really good ones we found were Just Chinese, Green Jacket, Angaara (lovely Indian), Roma Pisa, Roys Thai and Ocean Beach Cafe. However for a simple fish & chips Patricks and Tonys are really good. If you want more upmarket food you need to go to After 7 at Calengute or East meets West at Baga which are only a tuk tuk or taxi ride away.

We were very pleased with our stay at this hotel and will probably come back to it next year or the year after.

Room Tip: The rooms overlooking the pool are very nice.
2  Thank Blackpool16

Reviewed 21 February 2012

I spent 5 days from 14th to 18th Feb 2012 in this hotel and I must say this is the best place to be in Goa specially when you want to be around with the decent people not the raw and junk crowd. The food quality is awesum!!! I heard that North Indian food is not good anywhere in Goa but it was best at this place, starting from the breakfast to the dinner food was amazing.

Unlike other hotels like Le Seasons resort and many others the staff was nice and took good care of us. Just 2 min. is walk distance to Candolim beach and just in front of the hotel gate you will find 2/4 wheeler on rent.

All in all this is the best place if you are planning to go Goa with family or just couples.

Room Tip: Have a Suite Room which are nicely located and have good ambiance.
Reviewed 19 February 2012

Stayed at the Goan village last year year and enjoyed it, this year not so much room allocated was 208 directly of the dining room, chef stands at your room window, the back balcony is full of extractor fans from the kitchen, on complaining we were moved to 308 which at least had a balcony all be it noisy that you could sit on, once my attitude had changed from glass half full,to glass half empty I started seeing the grime around the light switches etc, the room had'nt been touched up or properly cleaned since last season, won't be staying there again.

Room Tip: If possible try for one on the village street at least they've got a bit charm about them.
Reviewed 6 February 2012

My wife and I have just returned from 2 weeks at "The Goan Village" - It's certainly not the best hotel in Candolim, but it's also a long way from being the worst. I'll try to be fairly honest with this review.

Rooms
A lot depends on where in the complex your room is I reckon. If yuo're on the ground floor, the rooms look quite cramped and one or two of them don't have very big windows and probably don't get a lot of natural light. You really don't want to be on the ground floor. The rooms that are on the first and sceond floors are OK (I stayed in room 303, and I also went into room 203 directly beneath which was virtually the same). These rooms had a balcony over looking the pool and one out the back overlooking.....not very much if truth be told.

The room I stayed in (rm 303) had a bit main "living area" that had two chairs, a ceiling fan, a stocked fridge (beers, soft drinks and water) and a dressing table and mirror. The bedroom had a large nice comfortable bed in it as well as a TV, ceiling fan and air conditioning unit. The bathroom was a wet room type affair with a shower in the corner.

The room was OK although a new lick of paint wouldn't have gone amiss. It was clean though to be fair and was cleaned everyday. The bedding has clearly been used for quite a while as it wasn't as white as it might have been, although it was always clean. The towels were changed everyday, although a few times we had to call to reception and ask for a couple more large ones to be sent up, as they didn't leave enough. The extra towels always arrived within a matter of minutes. The towles, like thebedding have obviously been around for a few years, as they were definitely not white anymore, although you could tell they had always been washed and they didnb't smell....they just didn't look clean.

Pool
The pool is quite nice, although which idiot decided to tile it with green and dark blue tiles needs a good talking to, this always made the pool look dark and dirty. The pool is cleaned every morning at breakfast time and is very clean, it just doesn't look it due to the colouration of the tiles (which should have been light blue, as most swimming pools have)

Breakfast
A lot of places in Goa just offer tea and toast as breakfast, with other items being charged. Not the case here, there was a selection of cereals and some fresh fruit. There is also, chaning on a daily basis, a a selection of other hot food stuffs as well. There is also an omelete station as well, where you can request your choice of filling and they bring it over within a matter of minutes. You can also request boiled eggs and fried eggs etc. The breakfast at this place is very good.

Location
You'll not get a much better location in Candolim. It's opposite Delfinos which is the new supermarket in Candolim, which I prefer to Newtons. It's also only 5 or so minutes walk from beach road, and the beach can be accessed via a 5 minute walk through the back of the hotel as well. There is also a bus stop and a taxi rank right outside the gate as well

To be honest, other than breakfast, we only eat there once, and that was for one of their Barbecue Nights (Monday, Wednesday & Friday) - the food was OK, but there was little or no atmosphere, so my advice would be don't bother with it and venture out to one of the other myriad of places available

As said in my title, it's not the best, but it's not the worst place I've stayed in when visiting Candolim. I would probably stay there again, but I would want a gurantee of not getting a ground room floor!

Room Tip: Email the resot first and ask for a room on the second floor, as these seem to be the best ones - I...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank erictcow
Reviewed 26 January 2012

Just returned from 2 weeks at the Goan Village and as it was our first time in India it was a culture shock for the first couple of days.
We were in a "deluxe" room on the top floor which had formerly been an apartment and the kitchen was hidden by the wardrobe which was in front of an archway.The lounge area was very basic and had a ceiling fan.The bedroom had a/c and a fan.The bathroom was a wetroom and the water was heated by an immersion heater so it took a few minutes between showers to heat up.
The bedding and towels were a bit poor but clean and sometimes in short supply as we had to phone a few times as towels were not automatically replaced when the room was cleaned.
Cleaning standards were basic but on reflection they had very poor cleaning materials supplied and some bleach down the toilet and some disinfecant wouldnt have gone amiss.
For those that mentioned the linen was blood stained it was just other guests who had henna tatoos and presumably the laundry the hotel uses does not have biological washing powder!
There were notices in the rooms concerning the tatoos and guests were warned that they would be charged for stains which occured.Whether this ever happened I dont know.
We had 2 balconies one overlooking the pool and one at the back overlooking "local life " which was interesting but a problem when you were woken a couple of times in the night by barking wild dogs.
The staff were all friendly and polite and breakfast was a bit unusual but the porridge was great and the chef made lovely omelettes.It would have been nice to have had better quality coffee & tea although we got used to what was on offer.
To me the bar area was not very welcoming for an evening but fine to use in the day if you were by the pool.
A negative point was the Russians who were staying there were very noisy and drinking alcohol at breakfast time.Needless to say we didnt stay around at night as there were so many good eating places and bars nearby.
We did get a safety deposit box which was near reception at a charge of 100rupees a day but saying that it was a perfectly safe hotel with 24hr security.
The maintenance of the hotel building was poor especially at the back and also new furniture and fridges were desperately needed.
We still had a lovely holiday and the situation of the hotel and pleasant staff made it for us.
We travelled with Thomson and I think they were a bit generous in giving the hotel a 3 star rating even though the official rating is 2 star.
I feel we got what we payed for considering the cost of our holiday and I would say that I might stay there again if nothing better was available for a similar price.

Room Tip: Rooms over reception seem good but there is no lift
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank funnyboy
Reviewed 22 January 2012

First of all the positives, sorry I mean positive, the bar / breakfast staff are trying their best in very difficult circumstances. This hotel is supposed to be a Thomson 3T rated property, equivilent to our original choice of hotel, The Sonesta Inns, which is a genuine 3T rated property, and I know this, because my wife and I stayed there December 2010/ January 2011.

It is to a degree not the ALegria Goan Village Resorts fault to be truthful, however how much as they try, they cannot get even the basics of sevice and cleanliness correct, but to be fair to them, I spoke to the Owner, and the Manager Sushant, whilst they were understanding and courteous, they did agree " off the record" that their hotel is nowhere near the same standards as the Sonesta Inns Hotel. However they did not set there own 3T rating, Thomson Holidays did, and who was the Owner to argue !!

Just to fill you in on the background here. My wife and I spent a marvellous two week break at the Sonesta Inns Hotel in December 2010/ January 2011, so much so, that on our return to the UK. we immediatley re-booked with Thomson Holidays on 15th January 2011.

All was well until 28th September 2011, when, completely out of the blue, we received a rather curt letter from "Thomson Pre Travel Services Department " ( beware these people, they are blatant liars )to advise me that they had cancelled their contract with the "Sonesta Inns Hotel" and were please to inform me ( what a joke !! ) that they had found me an alternative 3T rated hotele, this being the "Alegria Goan Village Beach Resort Hotel ", sounds nice eh, it is not, trust me on this one,

I immediately contacted Thomson Pre Travel Services Department, in an attempt to discover why this had happened, they were very guarded with their answers, so I took it upon myself to contact the Sonesta Inns Hotel myself, I was informed by the manager there that Thomson Holidays had pulled out of the contract on 4th August 2011, a full SEVEN weeks before they had the decency to inform me of this by letter, and the reason,you are gonna love this one, PRICE !!!

The irony is, and I have this on very good authority from an employee of Thomsons own "Pre Travel Services Teams, that they actually paid more to send us to the "Alegria Goan Village Beach Resort Hotel ". Why is this, I know why, Corporate companies weilding their power.
Why back down, just send the customers to another hotel, after all we have there money!!

I defy anyone, and I mean ANYONE, to look at the two properties and even try to compare them like for like, it is like comparing an apple with a pineapple.

Basically, a warning to any Thomson Holiday customers who have been informed that their original choice of hotel thas been changed, including people who should have been going to the "Silver Sands Hideaway Hotel" PLEASE do everything within your means before you leave the UK to demand that you are not sent to this, at best 1T rated hotel. You will not enjoy it, trust me on this.

Your holiday will be ruined, ours was, along with 3 other couples who had the misfortune to all be misled by Thomson Holidays,

I repeat once again, it is not the Hotels fault, it is however their responsibility to ensure that the rooms are clean, ( sort of !! ) bedding was bloodstained, (I have photographs) toilet was dirty,towels dirty, no hot water in our first room, when moved, only 6 minutes of hot water, trying to take a shower, was like a military operation !!

I have only touched the surface with what is bad about this property, if you are happy to stay in a 1T rated hotel, that is fine, but when you have paid for a 3T rated property, and then to have that taken away from you by Thomson "bloody" Holidays, is beyond reproach.

Just to finalize here, do not trust Thomson Holidays, in fairness the two representaives, Simon and Vicky, were hung out to dry, i fully explained my concerns with respect to this hotel, to Thomson Pre Travel Servcies, but they chose to ignore the 3 letters that I had sent to them before I departed the UK. I even left copies of my letter with the Resort Representatives to make them aware of the situation in the UK.

Thom Holidays Customer Service is appalling, I am in a battle with them now, for fair and adequate compensation, along with a number of other couples, for a holiday that I paid for and never received.

Thank you Thomson Holidays for ruining my wife and I annual holiday !!

A belated Merry Christmas to you all.

Would I recommend this hotel. NO WAY.

Steve.S.

Room Tip: If you have standards, do not choose to stay here, I would suggest if you are looking to book a Thom...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Head F
Reviewed 7 January 2012

I stayed at the Goan Village over the Christmas period. Overall I was extremely satisfied with the hotel, on arrival the check in was swift which was needed after a long journey. My room was perfect, extremely clean, I even checked the mattress and pillows as I have a bit of OCD but they were spotless !! The bathroom was clean and the shower was at one end but more of a wet room (no cubicle), constant hot water throughout my stay, although not a huge towel in the bathroom but was sent one within 5 minutes of asking, hairdryer, tea/coffee tray with snacks and full mini bar of cold drinks and beer. Television had about 96 channels, mainly Indian programmes but BBC News, MTV and a few English film channels. I asked for an iron and board and was delivered within seconds ! Also WIFI available if you pay, can't remember how much but very cheap.

The breakfast was spot on, tea/coffee, fresh juice, toast, cereal and a choice of eggs to order also an Indian selection of breakfast but didn’t try this. Didn’t eat in the restaurant but did have a gala Christmas day dinner which was fantastic, they spent all day decorating and put on a huge spread of various foods and then spent the evening entertaining us all.

The hotel is right in the middle of Candolim and the beach was a very short walk through some private housing estate and you were there.

The staff couldn’t have been more helpful, the manager even knocked on to check I was ok with everything as I was travelling alone. I made friends with all the bar staff and they were such a friendly bunch and nothing was too much trouble.

To anyone who may have had a bad experience all I can say is if you were not satisfied with something you should have spoken to the manager or staff, I found them extremely accommodating and nothing at all was too much trouble. Would definitely re-visit if I go this area.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo