“Sunset Beach Hotel,Candolim,Goa” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #32 of 63 Hotels in Candolim
Carnforth, United Kingdom
“Sunset Beach Hotel,Candolim,Goa”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2012

On arrival booking in was dreadfully slow.Our room was large,clean and had 2 balcony's.The fridge was locked,so we had to pay 1400 rp for 2 weeks to use it (approx £18) we thought that was a bit of a rip off.We also had to pay for the safe,which worked out at 600 rp (approx £8).Our friends had to pay for air con which was 400 rp a DAY ! (£72 for 2 wk stay)
The staff were friendly,and the cleaners were excellent.The pool was rather cold as it was in the shade.Breakfast was very basic,toast/jam/tea.
We asked on our final day if we could keep the room from midday to 7pm.They agreed but charged us £10.When we were checking out they charged me a further 100 rp for 7 hours extra fridge use !!! I got no receipt for this,and left feeling ripped off,it was'nt the money,more the principle.
Overall : Hotel is in good location,clean rooms/large beds,friendly staff.Extra charges for things spoilt my stay.Breakfast was poor.

Room Tip: We booked a 'SEA VIEW' and got a TREE VIEW !....note that some rooms have no balcony.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
8 Thank DodgyRebel

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
stoke on trent
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 January 2012

Went to Sunset Beach for xmas and new year, nice clean hotel, small and friendly. Beach is just at the end of the road and there is a great bar across called Toss & Grill where the lads are friendly and food is excellent. Have just booked again for next xmas same hotel, can't wait. Good tip for Goa, I always take my own pillows, that's my only fussy bit. We tended to walk along the beach to the right for about 15mins to Lawrencio's beach shack, staff and food there are great.

5 Thank loren_jones
w yorkshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 January 2012

Stayed here 2 years ago and the staff were great to my wife while I was hospitalised. Went again first 2 weeks December 2011 and the staff recognised us as we were waiting to check in. As usual rooms were clean and the staff friendly and Le Bistro restaurant connected to the hotel served excellent food

4 Thank pendlewitch02
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 January 2012

My family and I shifted hastily to this hotel after an online deal with hotel went bad. We just walked into Sunset beach hotel and booked a room right away. First off, we got a good deal on the place, since they were still getting the place ready for the season.
The rooms were clean and most importantly the bathroom was spotless. Though the property is old, it is very well maintained. The swimming pool is small but very clean and inviting. It is also placed within the property to ensure privacy.
The complimentary breakfast was pretty basic, but this I would give them the benefit of the doubt, since the kitchen was not completely functional.
The best feature of the place is the beach which is just a few 100 meters away. A walk down to the beach on a quiet evening is perfect...
All in all a very pleasant place to be at.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank gpenkar
sheffield
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 December 2011

first time visit to goa and was recommended this hotel i did read the reviews on this hotel but to be honest i never really take them for face value. Arrived there at 3am and was shown to our room we was a bit tired so we basically just fell into bed, the bed was huge and very comfy best night sleep i have had in ages the rooms are basic but very clean maids come eveyday to change the beds and towels. The staff here are very friendly and always smiling to these people who were disgusted in the hotel are obviously not aware that goa is a third world country and you have to accept the way they live and maybe should have pain thousands of pounds to stay in a place with marble staicases!!!!!! all the food we ate in goa was excellant and would recomend the mermaid and the bistro at either side of the hotel the breakfast at the hotel is only toast but you can pay for a cooked breakfast for a small amount. I would recommend this hotel and yes i would definatley stay in here again as we are coming back next year. fantastic

9 Thank chloedogSheffield
Stoke on Trent
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 December 2011

We stayed in room 104, which had 2 balconies- one overlooking the beach road with a slight sea view and one overlooking the restaurant next door and some other balconies. The room was larger than I imagined with a large wardrobe/cupboard/tv stand. Plenty of hangers! There was a fridge which cost 300 rupees a week, you could also buy boxes of 12 bottles of water for 160 rupees. Beer and soft drinks were also available and they bought ten up to your room and put them in the fridge. The safe was 700 rupees a week which I thought was quite expensive, the TV was 350 a week. We had paid for the AC when we booked the package, other people paid separately. There was also a ceiling fan which would have been more than adequate without the AC. The beds were very comfortable and there were also 2 comfy chairs and 2 chairs on the balcony (some balconies had a table too).
The bathroom had a large walk-in shower (more of a wet room really).

Breakfast was 3 small rounds of toast with butter and marmalade, a pot of tea or coffee and choice of pineapple or orange juice. There was also a breakfast menu from which you could purchase extra items- full English was 250 rupees, scrambled egg on toast was 90.
You also get 4 free meals a week (lunch/dinner) you can choose 3 items from the menu. Sandwiches, soup, chips, a few different curries, rice, and fruit salad or banana pancakes. The bistro (which is part of the hotel) serves delicious food at cheap prices (chicken Kiev, chips and salad 250 rupees, steak, onion rings salad and chips 400 rupees)
The only problem with the hotel food and drink was the service charge which was around 12 and a half percent added to each bill. Although all the staff were very helpful and friendly, and I would have tipped anyway, I prefer to give tips at my own discretion. The only other issue with the bar/dining area was the ants. Every meal there were at least 3 ants on the table (depending which table) and loads underneath. We even found 3 in the salt cellar! A large red one gave my mum quite a nasty bite as well. Just check under the table before you sit down because some of the tables were ant free.
The pool area was nice, quite small but adequate for the size of the
hotel. We didn't use this area though so can't comment on anything else like sun/shade etc.
The one thing I was actually quite annoyed about was an incident with the "spa" facilities. I booked a herbal facial for myself and my mum and an Indian head massage for my mum at the same appointment. There is one girl who works at the sunset and a woman who is based across the road at whispering palms but the spas are under the same ownership. We had our appointments at the same time, i went to whispering palm and mum stayed at sunset beach, it was only a few days later that mum and i were talking about it that we realised she hadnt had the full treatment. I should have realised when her 2 treatments took virtually the same amount of time as my one treatment. The girl at the sunset was very friendly but I felt she could be rather overpowering at times, espeacially when we she kept talking to us when we were tryin to eat or reading and even more so when we were reading on the balcony and she kept shouting up to us every 20 minutes or so asking when we were going to have another massage. In the end we started going back into the room or leaving the area when we saw her coming as we couldn't be bothered with the hassle. We also overheard another guest complaining about her hassling them and from the short shrift he got (in public from both women) I felt uncomfortable about complaining myself and put it down to "live and learn". Needless to say we didn't have any more treatments which was a shame because I enjoyed mine.
The beach is a short walk down the road with small tarpauline covered "shops" along the way. Turn left out of the hotel to go to the main candolim road. The shops to the left of the hotel have ridiculous prices. We were quoted 850 rupees for some fabric bags which we got for 200 on the main road. We got ripped off a few times as we didn't haggle or didn't know the value of things and paid over the odds. Ask people at your hotel how much they have bought things for to get an idea.
Don't get a taxi from the rank across from the hotel, they charged us 100 rupees more than the drivers on the main road. We went to all the markets and panjim and for each trip paid 600 for the return trip and 2 hours waiting time.
I would also recommend using taxi drivers for any day trips. TC are very expensive and the trips we took with johns boat trips were very badly organised.
The spice plantation was worth a visit (not with johns though!) and cola beach was fantastic (again would have been better to organise ourselves)
If we went to goa again we would definitely stay at this hotel. The waiters, reception staff (particularly James and baby Dominic) and the lady who cleaned the rooms were all very friendly and welcoming.

If you need any further details, advice or info give me a PM and I will try to help.

• Stayed December 2011
11 Thank Val_and_Shell
Bristol, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 November 2011

I went with my boyfriend who had been before and stayed at this hotel previously -he had absolutely loved it and wanted to go back. I have never been to India before and was quite unsure what i would make of it when we booked to go i.e concerned about cleanliness, feeling out of my depth! How wrong i was.....

First arrive: Airport small, lots of staff walking around,not much organisation!Walked out to lots of men in brownish shirts trying to grab our bags..they can be quite insistent and pushy but with a lot of firm 'no thankyou's' they left you alone - just walk quickly and head down if you are looking to not tip someone (they don't do alot!) :) Got on to small coach (which had fans to my relief as was very hot!) travelled for just over an hour as the sun came up. THE MOST INCREDIBLE VIEWS!!!! Very tropical and green, everywhere you turn there is something new to see, people's huts in amongst trees, cattle strolling the streets - I must admit i had tears in my eyes as we drove - the place has a real presence about it and makes me feel very lucky.

Arriving at Sunset Beach hotel: We were dropped in the middle of the road which is just arund the corner from the hotel itself and not really shown where to go. Felt a bit disoriented after flying, driving there and your looking around to a mud track road, cattle walking towards you thinking 'where in the earth am I!' Walked to hotel which on first impression didnt look amazing from the front (see pictures) but on walking in and being shown to room my impression changed. Room was really big, spacious - we were in room 107 which was on Ground floor, just away from the pool and had 2 really large front balconies with two large glass doors facing out. Again, really green everywhere and very tidy and clean. We were pleasantly surprised when checking in as had been told that we needed to pay quite a lot extra for air con, fridge etc in room. They did not charge us for air con but were charged for fridge, tv (which we didnt want) and safe which on calculations worked out about £30 for all of it for 2 weeks - we budgeted alot more. You can buy x12 660ml of Kingfisher beer for about £4/5 through the hotel which makes having a fridge very good! :)

Impression/tips about hotel after stay: Worth making the effort to speak to staff - 2 really stood out in our mind (cant remember names) but 18 year old who worked on bar,waitering with the loveliest smile who stopped to chat everytime we walked by and an old man who was security guard who kept shaking our hands and again full of smiles. Cleaners work hard, rooms very clean, worth tipping 100 rupees every now and again.Gardener always sweeping around poolside&watering plants. We had 4 free meals at hotel each week (which if they don't mention is worth asking them about) and they were great for small lunches etc for days around the pool..

Restaurants: Main street by hotel full of restaurants of all types. We loved 'Infernos' which is an amazing tandoori restaurant, good cocktails and incredible food. We read reviews on here about Victors restaurant and went on hunt for him, his restaurant is on the road towards Candolim beach (where in the day the ladies sell their goods) He is the most humble man we met, warm friendly and really really kind. We went for food which is slightly more expensive than your average place but absolutely incredible! We stayed until around 1am sitting up chatting with him about his life, met his family and came away feeling so very grateful. I was ill on one of the days towards the end of our holiday and he sent his son to the local pharmacist and paid for rehydration salts for me and would not accept anything from us. I was so so grateful, a lovely, lovely family. Monica's shack on the beach, best chicken tikka curry ever!

Trips: We stayed clear of any organised trips and got taxi's/tuc-tucs around (very cheap) Really recommend the Dughasar Water falls - monkeys, take sensible shoes, swim suit so you can swim under the falls. We hired a private boat from someone on beach who took us out with some friends we made for day, we caught fresh fish which they cooked on a private beach we went to, saw dolphins, snorkelled. Spice plantations - elephants, good friendly tour!

For anyone who wants to go to bar/club when there we found an amazing place up in the hills called Club Cobana which looked over the whole of Goa, had a pool in, had four poster beds and candles etc outside which everyone sat in - incredible, a chilled night sitting staring across Goa with friends. Around £5 pp to get in and free drinks all night.

Recommend Goa to everyone, the most perfect holiday, chilled but full of adventures... will definately be going back...Sorry for the long review :) Got a bit carried away... please message if any questions...

Room Tip: Ask for a Ground floor room when you arrive if you like to be around/near the pool. Rooms on first f...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
21 Thank Kirsty B
Also consider these accommodations in or near Candolim
0.2 km away
0.0 km away
A's Holiday Beach Resort
A's Holiday Beach Resort
#4 of 5 in Betalbatim

Been to Sunset Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!