“Great experience !”

Ranked #17 of 154 Hotels in Ahmedabad
Bengaluru, India
“Great experience !”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 December 2011

One thing which inadvertently comes to my mind about the Ginger in Ahmedabad is the Drive-in Theatre located very near to the hotel where you can spend the evenings watching an open air movie. The rooms were clean. However, I feel the food can be a lot better. The quality of food needs to improve. But, a value for money Hotel. The staff was courteous and cordial. Apart from the Drive in Theatre, Himalaya mall is near by and so are other happening places.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
Mumbai (Bombay), India
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 December 2011

Though the hotel is meant for a budget stay, i was absolutely disappointed with this property knowing that it belongs to the IHM group. The rooms are spacious but not clean, especially the bathroom. The rooms are not sound proof and they serve bad food. They have a very limited (too limited, they dont even serve basic food items) menu and the complimentary breakfast was also a bad experience. The only good thing about the hotel is its location. It is right behind the himalaya mall and close to connect to the Sarkhej highway.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Reema S
Gurugram (Gurgaon), India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 December 2011

Travelled very recently in October, Ginger hotel is a great place and i always like these boutique business hotels. they are quite affordable. I stayed on fourth or may be third floor overlooking the very beutiful Tapi river. Although some building are coming up that may restrict the view. The boatmen gather there every morning for fishing. the place is near to 4-5 malls and Big bazaar is also close.Overall a very pleasurable experience, staff was couteous as it is at every ginger hotel

Room Tip: Just ask for the river facing room
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
Mumbai (Bombay), India
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 December 2011

Room r too small.. Guest voice comes easyli from Neghibour room to our room... U can afford to speak on mobile..

• Stayed December 2011
Mumbai
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 November 2011

I stayed at Ginger, Ahmedabad between 13 Nov'11 and 25 Nov'11. Even though it is a budget hotel, I was kinda confident because I have stayed at the Nasik one twice. But this experience was different!

Good things first. The best part is the location - behind Himalaya Mall, which makes it easy to travel back to. This did not add a lot of eating options though - just a Papa Johns, McDonald's and a CCD. The water cooler on the floor is very useful since you can have drinking water anytime you want.

For me, the hotel itself was dull dud. As expected, the room was basic minimum, menu just about sufficient. But the staff was just not upto the mark. No one smiles or greets guests. The room service is only till 11pm. I ordered a club sandwich at 10.30pm only to be told that it can't be grilled since the machine wasn't working. I still ordered one without the grill. It arrived only at 11.20pm!! A sandwich takes 50 min to arrive!!! Good service? I don't think so!

There was no 'DND' tag in my room when I checked in. I went to the reception and got one. But the next day when I came back from my training, the tag was gone. I had to ask for one more. I spilt a large drop of tea on the floor and that little stain was there for 2 days despite my room being cleaned everyday. Even though just one stroke with a wet mop was enough to get it out when I actually called the housekeeping to do it. Cleanliness standards? I don't think so!

The iron table on the floor is useful but the table was shaky and wouldn't take rigorous movements. The iron was a last century specimen which had brown stains on it because someone must have burnt their clothes with it. Also, the bedsheet on the table was also stained brown with burnt marks. I wasn't too sure if the iron wouldn't leave its stains on my shirts! Usable basics? I don't think so!

I had booked the last 2 days separately since their site did not let me book all 12 days in one go, probably due to price difference. Despite pointing them out to them on one occasion, I got a call on the 23rd to find out when I would be checking out even though I wasn't supposed to till the 25th. I also got a call on 22nd saying I would have to pay the rest of my balance if I wanted to stay on. I cleared the payment for the rest of my stay the same evening.

Though what happened at check out takes the cake. I had made 2 payments online and one payment on request and this pretty much left a very small amount to be paid at check out. But the girl at the counter again forgot to account for the payment I had already made online for the last two days. While I was still pointing it out to her, she swiped my credit card for the amount she thought was due. Had I not paid attention I would have ended up paying 4k more! And now they owe me a refund of about 3k. And this confusion took me longer to check out than if they had been efficient. Efficient service? I don't think so.

The staff also weren't courteous. I asked the housekeeping fellow, who was cleaning the opposite room, to clean mine next. He refused outright and said he will do the departure rooms first!

I am sceptical about the budget-but-good status of Ginger after this experience.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Rovingeyes
Ahmedabad, India
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 November 2011

If anyone's been to any Ginger anywhere in the country, this would be a very similar experience. And i mean it in a good way. Decent service, clean do-able rooms, good food and most importantly, quite affordable. If its a business trip, this is probably the most practical hotel to stay in, considering its location.

One pleasant surprise was wifi in the hotel :)

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Danshaw
Ahmedabad, India
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 November 2011

The location is convenient,though around 15 kms away both from the railway station as well as the airport. Lies just behind the Himalaya Mall in drive-in road & all sorts of facilities can be availed nearby.

Booking was hassle free through internet booking. The room tariffs for a double are around 4000 but you can avail corporate discounts,weekend offers etc., that makes the tariff more attractive.Morning breakfast is included in the price.You can easily get a room during most of the year,but book it in advance to avoid any bad luck.

All the visiting places can be accessed easily from here and the hotel staff is also very friendly. Rooms are tidy,neat & clean and well maintained as well. Nearby hangout places are the Himalaya mall,the drive in cinema,the vastrapur lake etc,which are at a walkable distance from the hotel.

Overall,a very good place to stay at in one of the busiest places in the city.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple