Chicago Group of Houseboats
Hotel New Park(Srinagar)
  • Room Service
Hotel Madhuban(Srinagar)
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsmr ajazkhan chachahis teamhouse boatthe ownershikara ridesrinagar airporttravel plansairport pickbreakfast and dinnerheaven on earthgreat hospitalityvisit kashmirentire tourhome away from homewonderful triphouseboat stay
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 4 December 2013

Since Srinagar was the starting point of my Kashmir trip, we booked this houseboat in advance purely based on its No1 ranking on TripAdvisor. Much to our delight and true to the reviews here, we found the houseboat nice and Mr Ajaz a very helpful person. He arranged a pick up for us from the airport to his houseboat and helped in planning our trip. Special mention to Abdul bhai, the caretaker of this houseboat. Since it was freezing cold, he took special care to keep the living room and our bedroom warm. The food (vegetarian) was just about ok but the good point is that they will cook you the meal that you want! Thank you Ajaz ji and Abdul bhai for making our stay memorable!

Room Tip: Rooms at the back side of the houseboat are bigger
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank rahulsaraf18
Reviewed 26 November 2013

First of all I want to thank Mr. Ajaz Khar and his team members consisting of Khan Bhai and Mohammed Bhai for their overwhelming hospitality. I came to know about Chicago House Boat from one of my friend who already visited Srinagar and stayed there. As such, as I was planning for a trip to Kashmir with my family consisting of myself, my wife and 12yrs old daughter, from 26th October, 2013 to 2nd November, 2013, as per my friend’s suggestion I contacted Mr. Khar over phone and email in the month of April, 2013. Mr. Khar inquired me about my plan and then suggested that he can provide a package (airport to airport) for the above mentioned period. As per his suggestion, I told him to provide me a package for that period. After seeing his package, I became influenced and booked the same.

After reaching Srinagar on 26th October, 2013, we were greeted by Mr. Tariq Ahmed Dar with an Innova Car which cherished our greetings to the extent. Mr. Dar told us that there was a slight change in the package itinerary and we will first go to Pahalgaon. After reaching Pahalgaon we checked in at Hotel Pine Spring in a suite room. My family became very much happy after checking in the room. We stayed here for two nights.

After our Pahalgaon tour was completed we left for Srinagar. After reaching Srinagar, from Ghat No. 9 we were taken to Chicago House Boat where we were greeted by Khan Bhai and Mohammed Bhai. We became very much pleased and checked into our House Boat(Persian Gulf) consisting of a beautifully decorated drawing room, a dinning room and three rooms (we got the 3rd room or the last room which is a little bit bigger than the other two rooms in that House Boat). We stayed here for 5 nights. During our stay we were serviced with great extent especially during the time of the dinner and breakfast. They were providing us with such a quantity and variety of food, that each and every day we used to waste some quantity of our food, and we were repeatedly requesting Khan Bhai not to give us so much quantity of food, as that was creating a bit of shame for us to waste such tasty food. We especially will never forget the preparation of the fish (requested by us to provide us with a fish preparation) in my life; it was so tasty and well prepared.

In all, we had an enormous stay with excellent service, excellent location, excellent food, excellent sleep (having electric blanket) and excellent cleanliness with great hospitality in Chicago House Boat. The location of the House Boat is beautiful. It took 5 to 6 minutes to go to the Ghat No. 9.

Lastly I would recommend to all if you are going to stay at Chicago House Boat and going for a package, request Mr. Khar to give Mr. Tariq Ahmed Dar as the Driver who is a well mannered, well behaved and well guided person. We were very much pleased with our trip to Kashmir and lastly we were very much thankful to Mr. Ajaz Ahmed Khar for making our trip a memorable one.

Room Tip: Room Tip: The last room of the House Boat is a little big larger than the other two rooms
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Sudipta R
Reviewed 25 November 2013

We stayed at Chicago Houseboat for 3 nights and they were the best nights we had in India. We felt like King and Queen. Everynight Mohammed cooked us delicious homemade Indian dishes. The owner book us day activities, everyday. We felt like everything was really well organized. Because of the owner, we were able to discover Srinagar in a few days. The room wa also so clean. But be aware to book directly with the owner. We have been victims of a scam online. You need to book threw the houseboat website. Mohammed and the owner took really good care of us. It was a very pleasant stay. I recommend it to everyone that wants to visit Srinagar. It worth every penny and even more.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Katebac
Reviewed 19 November 2013

We were a group of eight friends who stayed at Chicago Group of Houseboats for 5 nights. Right from the time we were making arrangements for our stay through Mr. Aijaz Khar, everything was just perfect. I have stayed at some of the most luxurious and iconic chain hotels in India and around the world, but the service that the staff at Chicago Houseboats offer is beyond comparison to anything I have experienced so far. We are especially indebted to Khan Bhai, our Man Friday, for making us feel that the houseboat was our home, and more. The food cooked for our breakfast and dinner was made to our order and cooked to delightful perfection. The houseboat itself is fabulously decorated and the bedrooms are huge and extremely comfortable. Even with the night temperatures slipping below zero, the electric blankets and generous comforters kept us more than adequately warm. In fact, the only complaint I have about Chicago Houseboats is that I feel less at home in my house now, than I did during my stay at Chicago Houseboats!!

Room Tip: The last room on each of the houseboats is the largest.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Atyanand
Reviewed 17 November 2013

We were three families and had the entire houseboat to ourselves for a couple of nights. Each room of the houseboat was very tastefully furnished with palatial sitting and dining rooms. The rooms were perfectly maintained with every detail meticulously taken care of by Mohammad bhai.

Mr. Aijaz Khar who owns the property came across as an excellent person reflecting the true spirit of Kashmiri hospitality.

The only regret was that the meals other than the breakfast were not served on the houseboat as we probably did not go there during the season, and we had to procure dinner on shore. Nevertheless our stay was quite pleasant and we would certainly look forward to staying there again in summer.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family