“Not "luxury", but good value”

Goldfinch Mangalore
Ranked #4 of 38 Hotels in Mangalore
Goa, India
“Not "luxury", but good value”
Reviewed 16 May 2012

I ended up staying 3-nights at this hotel. I have mixed emotions about this property but will still give it an “average” rating because I feel the value is there. It is definitely not a property for the discerning traveler. India is getting more and more difficult to find a "luxury" property at an affordable rate, with good service, clean rooms, good food and amenities. I would consider this a 3-star property.

I tried to make a reservation on-line by contacting the hotel’s email address directly. I never got a response. I then tried to call to make a reservation and they said they would call me back. No one called me, so I then called them again before I finally was able to make a reservation.

The location was good for me and it was easy to take a tuk-tuk quickly almost everywhere I needed to go.

Like so many businesses in India, they have good intentions but fail to update or maintain their properties. The carpet in the hallways needs to be repaired, re-stretched and cleaned. Doors and windows throughout the hotel are dirty. The furniture in the room was tired, dented, scratched and worn. A/C is loud. I had water in my bathroom and it has clearly been an issue as some of the tile is warped. The housekeeper just mopped it up everyday. The sink faucet was loose and water pooled behind it. The walls needed to be re-painted. Room service trays were left in the hallway from the night before until late the next morning.

Although the room was generally clean, the housekeeper needed to do DEEP cleaning. Most of the mirrors were dirty and the shower stall needs a deep cleaning on the glass. At least the sheets were clean. They are stingy with fresh towels!

I was given a smoking room and I should have changed immediately as the room reeked of it. It still smelled of smoke after housekeeping came and sprayed. Smoke entered the room from below, above and next door. So if you are a non-smoker, make sure you request a non-smoking room. The air freshener they use throughout the hotel is a very strong floral smell and upset my allergies. But it is needed, because if you went to an area without, the area smelled.

I got really irritated when a housekeeper rang my bell after 10:30 pm to return some laundry for the day. I was in a deep sleep. Someone from the front desk called after 11 pm the same night and said “sorry”. Then I did not receive a wake-up call as requested the next morning. The next night another buzz at 11 pm with room service trying to deliver milk to my room that another room had ordered.

I did not care for phone calls daily or knocks at the door to see if I had any laundry. And the day of check-out while at breakfast the housekeeper ad hcleaned my room. Clearly a lack of communication with housekeeping and the front desk.

Most hotels I have ever stayed at take a credit card imprint to guarantee the room stay. But at Goldfinch, they charged it right then, (but only for 1-night) even though I said I would pay cash when I check out for the total bill. So it took 3-transactions, verses one had they just guaranteed the payment initially.

Only a couple of staff persons have a good command of English and are use to dealing with foreigners. As a westerner, I would rate it only as “average”.

I needed a doctor. The staff did not know off hand who to call. They called back later after I persisted to find one.

Room service was pretty prompt but their prices do not match what is on the menu. Getting them to understand what you want is difficult. The food was average, but not presented very nicely. Good value for the money though. I had a grilled tomato and cheese sandwich, and a waldorf salad. Another time I had mixed noodle. I ordered chicken and veg, but they sent beef and chicken, and I do not eat beef.

The included breakfast is pretty good with fruit and mostly Indian dishes, but I was thankfully able to order an omelet. By the third day, the spread was tiresome with little variety. I found the other 2-restaurants did not have enough variety for vegetarians or a lighter continental fare so I did not partake.

There was an outdoor function going on at the banquet room below me and I heard loud thumping and music until 11:30 pm. This was another blow to my much needed rest.

The best part for me was the bar, although too dark. The staff spoke pretty good English and the value was exceptional for Happy Hour which last until 8 pm.

With updated rooms and furniture and a better trained staff, this has a potential to be a good property! Currently I am unable to recommend for the discerning traveler. But if you just need clean sheets and a comfortable room, Goldfinch will do.

Room Tip: Remember to specify "non-smoking room" if you are a non-smoker. If looking for a peaceful...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Michigan
Reviewed 8 April 2012

Reception and check-in is prompt. Rooms are just average. As usual they skim on toiletries and bath towels. Only one room in the entire hotel had handicap access/facilities. Our room had warped laminate flooring and lights that did not work. Air conditioning is suboptimal at best. In one room the AC would not work all night. We could never get a response from the manager the next day.

The only redeeming feature is the excellent food. Breakfast buffet is sumptuous. Sanadige restaurant has some mean mouthwatering entrees with generous servings.

On the whole, in comparison to similar hotels abroad, it is overpriced and could do much to upgrade its service

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
Reviewed 25 February 2012

This review is for Sanadige Restaurant in Goldfinch Hotel.

Their a la carte choice is wide and some outstanding traditional mangalorean sea food available here. We did try some Chinese appetisers which were also good but tasted similar so dont recommend ordering many of them. We have tried their thali's and enjoyed them equally. The kane fry is too good. You should try the food with the neer dosa/appam. I personally enjoy the fish curry with brown rice.

The bartender mixes the best margaritas in town, hence my reason for periodic visits. Since it is located on the higher floor of the hotel, the view is nice as well. The pricing is just right for what you get.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank PrashRao
Montauk, New York
Reviewed 25 February 2012

mouth watering food and best sleep experience. it was an excellent and memorable drive during our visit to this coastal karnataka. amazing and helpful staffs. clean and well maintained. Our dinner at 'KABAB' restaurant was nice to recap. though it is a noisy place we could experience that bit crowded no matter it is still we can afford to price what we valued. the basket "KUDLA" is another attraction.

Room Tip: rooms are better than any udupi hotels and resorts
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
Bengaluru, India
Reviewed 16 February 2012

Stayed for 1 night. The hotel stands out because of excellent staff. All smiling and very eager to help always.
Dinner at Kabab Studio was ok, Bfast was decent comprising of lot of South Indian Delicacies.Would return to this property only because of the exemplary staff.
Bad points- poor quality towels and linen provided. Good centrally located.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank rajarshipanigrahi
Bengaluru, India
Reviewed 8 February 2012

We stayed in goldfinch mangalore for a night.inspite of asking for noise free room. We got most noisy room since hotel is surrounded by vehicle movements. Lots of honking is there. Would not recommend if u like peace . Kabab studio food was ok but service was not t all professional.

• Stayed February 2012
4 Thank Rishi19825
Bangalore
Reviewed 30 December 2011

Sana-di-ge is one of the restaurants at the Goldfinch hotel in Mangalore. They are also present in Bangalore and we chose to go to Sana-di-ge based on my previous experience at Bangalore. Even though the restaurant is mainly known for the coastal seafood I liked the vegetarian options during my previous visit. The “Kudla basket” contains some of the authentic south canara or Mangalore-Udupi cusine but not everything mentioned on the menu was available and to add to the misery the food served was not fresh. We requested for less oily and spicy food but got exactly the opposite. It was a weekday and we were at the restaurant at 8PM. The service got slower as the other tables were occupied and we had to request few times for the finger-bowl. Overall a poor experience.

Reason for disappointment- Most of the things on the menu was not available, food served was not fresh and service was sluggish.

Room Tip: This review is for the restuarant Sana-di-ge.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family