“Great introduction to Kerala (and India)”
Review of Bright Heritage

Bright Heritage
Ranked #142 of 467 Kochi (Cochin) B&B and Inns
Reviewed 13 February 2012

Never having been to India, I started my journey at this hotel in Kochi. I couldn't have chosen a better one. Sure, it is a very expensive hotel, but when you embark on a trip through India the price of your first hotel shouldn't be a big issue. The staff is extremely helpful. There's free wifi in the lobby. It's very well located. the rooms are big (too big for a single traveler) and the beds are comfortable. The shower works just perfect (with hot water). and you get breakfast on the roof.

Too expensive for a single traveller though, otherwise I would go back and stay a few more nights.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo

Reviewed 6 February 2012

Myself and a friend made the mistake of spending three nights here. That was two nights too many. When we arrived, the staff were a little surly. That is ok, we all have bad days. We were shown to our rooms - mine was clean (no view to speak of but this is a budget hotel so you can't expect too much) but my friend's room had an unpleasant odour emanating from the bathroom. My bar refrigerator had an opened can of coke in it (among the other items that can be bought) and my friend's bar refrigerator had nothing at all in it. My bedside lamp did not work.

Next morning everything was fine - a warm shower then we left our rooms to explore Kochi. I left a "please clean my room" sign on the outside of the door. When we got back to the hotel the sign was removed but the room had not been cleaned. So no change of towels that day thank you. Thew odour remained in my friend's room. I took a shower in the afternoon. No hot water (and no hot water on the following two days either).

We did try to have lunch in the rooftop restaurant one day, but after being ignored for too long I left and had lunch lunch elsewhere.

We had ordered a taxi to take us to the train station on the day we left. The taxi was 30 minutes late. The staff did not seem to be as anxious as we were about this.

The best I can say about this hotel is that it might be adequate for one night if your expectations for budget hotels are not set too high. But for more than one night, I think there would be better options to explore.

Room Tip: avoid the rooms with a sewrage smell coming from the bathroom
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank marksiddall
sunil34317, General Manager at Bright Heritage, responded to this reviewResponded 12 June 2012

Dear Mr. Marks ,

Thanks for your mail. Your comments on the service have taken up seriously.

I have already instructed the concerned look into the matter. We have planned an extensive training session for our hotel staff.

Sorry for the in convinced happened our stay . Looking forward to serving you again. Please contact me personally for your future reservation.

B.Sunilkumar
Mo-+91 9846313084

Reviewed 29 January 2012

We stayed at this hotel while on tour, so can’t comment on the price/value. The hotel is on a quiet side street. The rooms are first class. Our room was very large with two oversize twin beds. Lots of storage and workspace. Lighting was excellent, with more lights (and light switches) than you can imagine. Room and the bathroom super-clean. However, our room was not cleaned on the second day--we got some clean towels and extra toilet paper from the supply in the hall. Wi-fi is free but doesn’t reach most of the rooms. Breakfast was included for our tour group, but was minimal—just toast and an omelet without anything in it. We ate lunch at the restaurant but can’t recommend it. Their menu is largely a fiction, most things are not available. Service is slow, slow, slow. Had to ask twice for them to bring our drinks and it took them 1 1/2 hours to prepare our lunch. What should be a 4-star rating goes to a maximum of 3 stars because of poor service.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 January 2012

We spent 5 nights there. The rooms were clean and comfortable. The staff were very helpful though sometimes forgetful so that they had to be asked twice for things. The hotel was located in a quiet area, convenient to attractions. The buffet was very minimal (eggs, toast, juice, tea or Nescafe) but served in the very pleasant covered roof-top cafe. Wi Fi always worked if a bit slowly but only in public areas which were not air conditioned.

Room Tip: suites are not much more expensive and are a lot bigger.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 January 2012

This hotel is well located and is close to the main sites, cafes etc in Fort Cochin. The place is well cared for and is in very good condition. The rooms are very clean, spacious and comfortable. The beds are very comfortable and I had a great night’s sleep there, as the area is quiet as well. The area seems very safe too.

The air conditioning is good and quiet. The rooms have ceiling fans as well.
The only gripe I had with the room was that the hot water was very hit and miss – more miss than hit. I did complain but it didn’t seem to achieve anything. Fortunately, the weather was quite warm and as such, not a real issue but I would be annoyed if it was cold.

The free WiFi is fairly useless and in the end, I just gave up on it. It would work for a while then drop out.

They have a lovely roof top restaurant area that is spacious and clean and offers a small view out to the ocean. The breakfast is included and is adequate – nothing great but fine. You won’t walk out hungry. The strange thing about this restaurant is that they offer a menu that seems to imply that they do lunch and/ or dinner yet breakfast appears to be the only meal that they seem to offer.

The service within the hotel is good. The staff are nice and are happy to help if everything is going well. If there are any issues, then it is a hassle. The hot water issue was never resolved. The air conditioning stopped at one point and that took a few attempts to get someone to fix it. (It was a simple fix that required the a/c to be reset and took about 30 seconds)

However, the big issue was with their travel desk. After my experience, I would really recommend that you do NOT use it for any trips or tours. The exception is that they have a few auto rickshaw drivers that they recommend who are honest and reliable. The one I used took me around to the main tourist sites and was very good and a lovely man as well. I would recommend that you use their rickshaw drivers.

The problems that I had with their travel desk were:
- The driver to take us on the back water tour was late and had to be chased up. In the end, we ended up with a two hour tour of the back water and not three hours, as advertised.
- I booked an Ayurvedic massage through their recommended provider (it wasn’t a tourist place, so cheaper and more typical). That booking was wrong and I ended up having to go back a day later.
- The driver for the elephant tour just never turned up. They eventually found a driver about 90 minutes later and as such, I missed the washing of the elephants at 8.00am. It also meant that I missed out on seeing the spice plantation. The two things that I really wanted to see! The driver seemed to get lost all the time too and needed to ask for directions. Plus his driving was seriously bad, even by Indian standards. To add insult to injury, when I returned to the hotel, they wanted an extra Rs800 from me, after agreeing to a price earlier on.

All in all, I would stay there again as the hotel is great if everything goes well. It is a nice place and great rooms, but don’t expect much if there are any issues. And don’t use their travel desk!!!!

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 10 January 2012

I stayed in Bright Heritage in December 2011. I travel a lot around India and I never stayed in such nice, clean and friendly place. Everything in the hotel was unbelievably. Room was very, very clean, bathroom also. Sheets and towels was clean and smelling nice. All this things are important but the most important thing is, that everybody in the hotel was very helpful. When I had a problem, people working in the hotel with smile on his face, helped me. I had never met with such a nice, smiling and professional service. Even such a small thing as change battery in my watch, there wasn’t problem at all (I left my watch in the reception and next day they give me back watch with new battery). Another example: I had to move out to another hotel because I stayed longer in Kochi than I had room reserved in Bright Heritage. Manager of Bright Heritage helped me and booked room in another hotel. In the meantime I caught cold. In that another hotel, I had to call doctor. When I spoke with Manager Bright Heritage said that he advise their guests to go to the hospital, because doctor on call is very expensive.
If all places offering accommodation to its guests were on the same level as Bright Heritage, India would be the richest country in the world as we know because of tourists in India is not lacking. :)
Thank You very much for everything the whole crew of the Bright Heritage!
If I ever come back to Kochi, surely I’ll stay in Bright Heritage! :)

Greetings!
Anna from Poland.

Room Tip: There is free high speed internet but only in the lobby and on the first floor, not in the room.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank Anna_78288
Reviewed 9 January 2012

really bad hotel. not much to say. it's absolutely overpriced and the rooms are very dirty. we spent one night there, according to booking.com this was supposed to be a very good accomodation for Fort Kochi, but the place turned out to be a nightmare. room stinked of cheep deodorant, it smell like they had spryed tons of it just 5 minutes before our arrival. sheets and towels were full of spots and hair. we also fond a used razor in the shower and a condom in a trash bin of the room.
the night of our arrival the employees were very nice with us and proposed also to help us book bus tickets for Mysore even though they kept insisting that they could also provide a much more proficient (and expensive) driver. the day after the tickets were not bought (even though i expressly asked them to do buy them) and the bus was fully booked, so they kept insisting that their driver was our only option to reach Mysore. When we refused their crazly expensive travel solution the guy at the desk became very aggressive and unpolite. stay far from this hotel

Room Tip: there is free wi-fi on the lobby and on 1st floor. rooms at the 2nd floor are not reached by the sig...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank massive75
CochinSunil, General Manager at Bright Heritage, responded to this reviewResponded 14 June 2015

Dear Guest,

Namaskaarm from Hotel Bright Heritage , Cochin..!!!

First and foremost, we thank you for choosing to stay with Hotel Bright Heritage during your recent trip. We value your patronage and appreciate for sharing your experience with us. We perused your entire review and are working towards nullifying all the detrimental issues related to the property.

We have discussed your comment at length and would like to give our point of view in this regard. With the reference to your review we had noted that you had booked the rooms at Abaam, Cochin during a recent state wide strike and you mentioned the city was looking like a ghost city which the hotel unable to do anything as it happens occasionally in city and affect the entire state.

So we cant book this Mysore ticket . So only the option, we can arrange one taxi for this guest . But they are not willing to do the taxi .

Guest shouted in the reception in fort of the guest . Finally our duty manager involved this issue.

Sorry for the in convinced happen from our side . We look forward to make nice experience with entire accommodation free of charges .So further any booking ,please do not hesitate to contact us .

Yours sincerely ,