“Live like a raja in Brunton Boatyard”
Review of Brunton Boatyard

Brunton Boatyard
Ranked #11 of 222 Hotels in Kochi (Cochin)
Reviewed 18 September 2012

I was sort of on a back packing trip to Fort Kochi -- it was an impromptu trip and I didn't plan to spend to much money. But the hostel I booked turned out to be horribly wrong and when I woke up the next morning, contemplating where to stay for the night, Old Harbour Hotel is right across where I stayed.

I was lucky that it was low season. They still have rooms available and I manage to bargain (about 5% off their walk in rate). After I saw the room, I almost kicked myself for not reserving this before I go to Fort Kochi -- The view from the rooms are breath taking. They even have views of the water from their bathroom. The pictures posted on their website doesn't do justice to the hotel (And their pictures are pretty enticing already).

What I really like about Brunton is the little surprises -- they run evening cruise on their private boat (one of the last boat built by the original Brunton Boatyard) and it's complimentary to hotel guest. This cruise is absolutely priceless. They have cooking classes as well as morning yoga class. They make you feel like you are a newly arrived expat and they are easing you into the local lifestyle.

For my trip to Fort Kochi, I've stayed in Brunton Boatyard, Old Harbour, The Tower House and a backpacker's place. So I guess I am in a pretty good position to make a comparison between these hotels. Brunton Boatyard is expensive, and I wouldn't say it's value for money, but you will definitely get your money's worth of enjoyment out of it. Highly recommended.

One thing to note: The hotel is right beside a passenger boat harbourt. And there are a lot of cargo ship passing by the water every morning (from 6am). They do honk so chances are you will be woken up at 6am. The hotel do provide ear plugs, but if you are a shallow sleeper and would like to sleep in while in Fort Kochi (I can't imagine anyone doing that, but each to it's own), I probably would not recommend this hotel. See my other reivews about other hotels in Fort Kochi.

Room Tip: All the rooms have fantastic view.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Vivien C

Reviewed 16 September 2012

Kochi was the first st on a tour of Kerala and it certainly set a high standard! The staff were very friendly and attentive and the building itself is just wonderful- dark wood and white cottons give it a wonderful airy feel. The rooms are lovely with robes, slippers and fab toiletries. We ate in the hotel both nights of our stay and the food was excellent. Perfect location for sight seeing in kochi.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 September 2012

I have stayed here before and the last two times have shown tiny problems with service but this doesn't really affect the overall experience. Both visits were out of season and so some of the facilities were not working the way I feel they should in this primary hotel both for the region and the group that owns it. For all that the property is a gem; great location, great style, great views, and good services. Again I must add that the CGH Earth group are, for me, probably the best hotel operators in India. There are others who have high standards for their properties and services etc. What sets CGH Earth apart is their active and meaningful attention to making their properties as environmentally sound and as sustainable as possible based on pragmatism and consideration for protecting the planet. Few hotels come close to what this group achieves. I love their properties and this is no exception.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 31 August 2012

We visited this resort in the month of July 2nd week this year to celebrate our parents marriage anniversary & booked a tour from Antilog Vacations – very popular for Kerala tours .the location of this resort is quite amazing as its just next to the Asians biggest container ships port and its construction is just beautiful colonial-style hotel with all those Indian old age royalty decors of elephants and all, our check in process was quite smooth and didn’t consumed much time and we were received well with those Indian traditional style of greeting.

1. We had a suite room booked, its very big and spacious beds are of king size and very comfortable, all the needed amenities are up and are in very good working condition, bath rooms are also very good, and the showers bath tubs etc… are all very good and comfortable to use, the view of the sea which we get from the suite is awesome and in the mean while observing big ships loaded with containers from our room is a very strange feeling, we would admit we enjoyed that a lot initially, even we spotted dolphins playing in the sea

2. We were impressed by knowing that sunset cruise, cooking demonstrations and yoga were included in our package !

3. Food at this hotel is awesome especially Indian dishes starting from break fast till dinner, every thing is a treat for our taste buds, but the hotel disappoints while serving European dishes

4. Staff are excellent, they are always handy, and willing to go to any extent in order to satisfy us, which is impressive

5. We wondered why they arranged ear plugs near beds, once we experienced the honking of ships at early 1:30 am then we came to realize what is the disadvantage with the hotel, its really irritating, one cant get good night sleep in such a situation

6. The swimming pool facing the sea is maintained very well, and even the views from rooms will do look over them

7. Final word get ready to experience the pain of sleep less nights in the form of ship honking, else it’s an amazing place to stay

8. Tour was overall excellent , professionally managed & not costly as well

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Dilpreet S
Reviewed 28 August 2012

Brunton Boartyard is a very quiet and peaceful place to be in.The place is rightly located near to the Jewish town,market area and the harbor which defines Cochin. Its a huge spacious property which gives you a feel of a mix of an ancient Cochin and a Portuguese style of an architecture.
We were booked for standard room but the hotel people upgraded us to a deluxe room which gives the best harbor view.The room was spacious and palatial with separate living room,bedroom,a small balcony and a pantry...
They take care of each and every small things such as ear plugs in your room if the traffic of ship at Harbor disturbs you..which is quite appreciated.
The food is excellent.They also have a swimming pool facing the lake.
As always the case is with CGH Earth..the staff always try to make your stay as comfortable as possible..they are all so humble,helping and polite in all manners.We have been to many of the CGH properties(Maison Perumal at Pondicherry,Spice Village at Thekaddy,Marari beach Resort at Mararikullam) and believe us we have never been disappointed..rather it just keep calling us back. I thank the CGH Earth for making our stay so comfortable.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 August 2012

The staff at the Brunton Boatyard bent over backwards to make our stay as pleasant as possible.
The hotel is right on the harbour so you can watch the various boats, ships, tugs, barges and naval vessels pass by. The pool is a wonderful spot for watching this fascinating harbour. Our room was a top shelf harbourview suite featuring 1 large bedroom and 2 bathrooms, a balcony overlooking the pool and a gorgeous sitting room with TV. Our children aged 9 and 11 slept on foldaway beds in the sitting room. There was plenty of space. The service was excellent. Food was delicious and the breakfast room (the armoury) was a real treat. We also enjoyed the shady cloisters and central courtyard. Chef Cham gave a free cooking demonstration each night and we went on the free sunset cruise. My daughter and I also attended a free yoga class. All in all, a wonderful stay and we will definitely be back again.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 August 2012

We stayed at Brunton's earlier in July. Off season so the hotel was quiet - only 3-4 families at the hotel. A lot of maintenance work was taking place - polishing floors in rooms, painting etc... which was a little noisy and also not very professional I thought.

The hotel is a converted boatyard which used to operate during the Raj. Incidentally (which I learnt by chance) one of the Brunton's used bricks which were later discovered to be from the Indus Valley civilization to build a railway between Karachi and Lahore!

The building commands a prime position by Kochi harbour with views from the rooms of the boat traffic coming and going from the harbour. I think all the rooms have sea views. It has been restored to give it an authentic Raj era colonial look.

Check in was quick and efficient. We were given welcome drinks and cool towels to wipe down with. Staff were welcoming.

Our room was very large & on the first floor. There is a nice little balcony with views over the harbour and the pool. You can sit and watch life go by. The room has been kitted out in a colonial style. This includes musty wardrobes with drawers which don't quite work! The TV in the room could also do with updating - probably over 10 years old now. Wifi connectivity is free which is nice (and as it should be).

The bed is huge and very comfortable. We fell off to sleep without any problems.... the bathroom has an excellent shower and separate bathtub. Should you wish you can lie in the bathroom and look out over the water.

There is communal lobby library with a billiards table and library. The hotel basically forms a U shape around a central courtyard. The central courtyard is sadly abandoned. There is a large tree and some grass but it could be so much more - croquet if going for the colonial feel or a(nother) pool, But it seems a shame to leave it unused.

There is a coffee shop - Armoury I think - where breakfast is served. Really excellent coffee, croissants, dosas and fruit. Yummy!!! Service was excellent. There is also a bar there.

There is a formal restaurant - History - on the 2nd floor. Live music - Indian classical - and haute cuisine - I had lovely prawn starters, fish main and chocolate cake dessert. Service was truely excellent and the wine list is very nice. The menu is a little limited but do ask as the chef kindly prepared a fish dish which was not on the menu for me.

The pool is lovely and clean. Quite deep at one end and great for a few lengths. The hotel also has a little boat and they do complementary harbour tours every day at 1730.

So the negatives - well I just felt the hotel was lacking a little razzmatazz. In the search for authenticity I think the hotel is looking a little bleak - long white dull corridors which are dark and not very inviting. The owners could do worse than look at the Old Harbour Hotel down the road or indeed Galle Fort Hotel in Sri Lanka for some inspirations.

Would I stay here again next time - I think I'd try Old Harbour as it seems a little more polished. That is not to take anything away from Brunton's - they jsut need to spice things up.

PS: Special mention for Rohin - waiter who served us at breakfast, dinner and on the boat - his service was exemplary.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple