Free cancellation until 03/08
US$33
Homestead Hotel(Kottayam)
Free cancellation until 02/08
US$18
Akkara Homestay & Ayurveda Center(Kottayam)(Great Value!)
Free cancellation until 02/08
US$36
  • Spa
Bennies Inn(Kottayam)
US$15
Kuttickattil Gardens Homestay(Kottayam)(Great Value!)
US$18
US$17
Priceline
  • Breakfast included
Basis Reisen(Kottayam)
US$80
All reviewsdr sreejitayurvedic treatmentsathreya resorthealth issuesrecommend athreyaauthentic ayurvedahis wifevisited athreyatreatment roomshealth carewestern medicinehealing experiencethree weeksyoga classesdaily consultationsayurvedic centrekitchen staff
Reviewed December 3, 2017

Athreya Ayurvedic Center if for me definitely the best I experienced in the last 20 years. The Doctors Dr Jayalakshmi and Dr Sreejit are very professional and kind as well as available - the treatments are traditional and good, the staff is wonderful and very friendly and the vegetarian food is excellent.

The location of Athreya is superbe ! surrounded by rice paddies, it's quiet - no cars or other noises ... just the birds in the morning... how wonderful ... very peaceful indeed.

The accomodation is comfortable - with a "hotel service" - if you wish they clean daily.
It's a place I would recommend to friends without restrictions.

I will definitely try to go back next year.

Silvia B. - India/Switzerland

Room Tip: The bungalows are very nice - but the rooms in the newer building are a bit bigger
  • Stayed: November 2017, travelled with friends
2  Thank Silvia B
Reviewed November 30, 2017

I am writing this review with a satisfying smile on our face now two weeks after completing the 14 days treatment program for my Mother at Athreya Ayurvedic Center in early November 2017 under the kind and expert supervision of Dr. Sreejit.

Why Athreya -
My Mom had been suffering from chronic back pain due to disc prolapse as well as sciatica pan in both legs restricting her movement for around 5 years now . Having tried all treatment options including- Allopathic under special Ortho Surgeons in Mumbai , Homeopathic Doctors on in Mumbai as well as some Ayurveda hospitals in Patna with no major improvement. This forced me to look at other options and while reading through internet I came across Athreya Ayurvedic Center. What interested me further is reading through reviews and testimonials of some of the patients with similar condition and the benefits they got out of the treatment .I surely wanted to give it a try and completed the online enquiry on the site with details of medical condition of my mother and what I was expecting. Within 24 hours I got a details reply from Dr. Jayalakshmi- with all relevant details for treatment programs at Athreya. I was also advised to fill-up a broad questionnaire containing medical history for my mother which became the basis for studying the case and provided initial insight about the health condition of my mother to Dr. Sreejit and suggest whether treatment at Athreya can help her. What really impressed me about Dr. Sreejit is his patience and time to understand every minute details regarding my mother’s heath condition, the treatments she has undergone/undergoing/MRI reports . Only after thorough pre consultations over email he suggested on the treatment plan at Athreya and expectation of result was managed realistically.

Stay at Athreya-
The location of Athreya, situated along rice paddy fields in the backwaters of Kerala, is very pleasant which gives you a serene peace of mind the moment you enter the place. What stands out is the passionate focus on comprehensive Ayurvedic treatment and healing, led by Dr. Sreejit and Dr. Jayalakshmi and personal commitment he and Dr. Jayalakshmi showed to each guest throughout their stay, backed by a genuinely kind and attentive team (from the kitchen to housekeeping to the treatment technicians...many thanks to all).

Treatment:

Dr. Sreejit tailored treatment program for my mother from the first day onwards and was monitoring the daily progress of each therapy sessions. My mother benefited from the daily scheduled treatments - 2 sessions / day by 2 dedicated, hardworking, caring therapists which results was evident from 4th treatment day onwards when she started going for walks in the morning and evening. Dr. Sreejit explained every treatment in details through videos and presentations. All treatment sessions were well timed as some treatments were required to be given in the very early morning of the day to achieve the optimum results. She had very intensive treatments for those 14 days however felt much better after finishing the treatment sessions.

We came home feeling much relaxed and rejuvenated. As I am writing this review with my mother and am really happy seeing improvement in her condition with each passing day while she is continuing the medications provided by Dr. Sreejit for 3 months. Dr. Sreejit has been kind enough to offer follow-up consultations and eager to know on the progress on my mom’s health’s condition. He is really gem of a person and a highly skilled doctor. My sincere and whole hearted thanks to Doctor Sreejit and his whole team.

• Stayed: November 2017, travelled with family
3  Thank nikhil m
Reviewed November 28, 2017 via mobile

First and foremost my apologies for this "1st Anniversary" review. I was @ Athreya Ayurvedic Centre in December last year 2016. What prompted me to write this is ... will be going back to Athreya in about a week's time in Dec 2017. As I recollected my experience one year ago, i urged myself to write this long delayed deserving note for ALL @ Athreya.

one year ago ... I was looking up for a well being holiday and found Athreya managed by a family of doctors who have experience amassed over 5 generations. l remembered prior to acceptance of my booking I had a thorough conversation / interview with Dr Sreejit. Each and every of my health issues accumulated over the many years was discussed at preliminary level (pre-consultation) and expectation of result was managed realistically. He did the same and if not, an even more in-depth examination on my 1st day consultation session after check-in and followed by daily consultation (in the joint care of Dr Jayalkshmi) during my entire program. The program was "tailor made" ordered by the doctor based on individual person's constitution - no question here as to how knowledgeable the doctors have in this area.
I benefited from the daily scheduled treatments - 2 sessions / day by 2 dedicated, hardworking, caring therapists. All sessions were well timed as some treatments were required to be given in the very early morning of the day to achieve the optimum results.

Simple and HEALTHY vegetarian meals were deliciously cooked by Aunty from the kitchen team. I remembered we (got acquainted with other guests as days passed) had a treat of sweet jackfruit near Christmas time ! The team also ensured daily ample supply of herbal water - highly recommended to keep your body hydrated.

My commendation to the front office team. Airport pickup / drop off transfers were well organized - the driver engaged by Athreya was reliable which gave any lone traveller peace of mind during the approx 3 hour journey. I also want to THANK JP and his team for their patience in handling my "check out without return of room key" until I successfully mailed the key back 3 weeks later after checkout.

I look forward to my 2nd upcoming stay in the natural beautiful surrounding of padi fields @ Athreya - a tranquil and relaxing ambience, closer to nature which could help to elevate the effectiveness of Ayurvedic treatments which also require disciplined post treatments (not quite there yet) to purify my digestive system n harmonize my body constitution.

Dear Drs. S & J and your team, see you very soon.

With best regards,
cynthia pang from SG

Stayed: December 2016, travelled solo
2  Thank Cynthia P
Reviewed November 28, 2017 via mobile

I been introduced to Ayurveda by my daughter, who came to this magic place 6 months earlier and brought my husband and myself to Athreya. We are both in our 60th with ‘casual’ package of health issues: high blood pressure, toxins, not very flexible... We met this fantastic professional warm and smiling couple of Doctors, who welcomed us to 3 weeks of absolutely heaven experience. We had massages and treatments twice a day. Each of us had 2 very carrying therapists, who worked with us and looked after us all 3 weeks from morning till evening, and not only during the treatments, but also helping us with the everyday ask. We absolutely enjoyed the food, cooked by lovely Indian Mama. It was so light and delicious with big variety of vegetables and fruits. We love our little villa, 2 stories, our daughter stayed with us first week.
Natural wood, big beds, very clean, air condition, beautiful view to the green field. So relaxing, I miss my meditation after the treatment on the terrace. I would like to say big thank you to Doctor Srijit. He was seeing us every morning and evening, checking our condition and preparing the treatment according our health improvement. Day by day, listening us very careful. I could not believe that after so many years of taking the chemical medications, I will live without it. Our blood pressure went to normal. We feel very very good, lost a few kg. My husband hair became dark again!!! All
our joints function as new. We are calm, we are happy, we really feel very good.
I promise myself to come back as many times I can do it!

Stayed: December 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed November 26, 2017

I had the absolute pleasure of staying at Athreya resort for the month of July, 2017. I went to Athreya because I was looking to recharge my batteries; I had begun to feel very tired, completely stressed from work, and unable to find my balance. It was my first trip to India and I'm so glad that I went straight to South India.

The grounds are incredible: flowers everywhere, medicinal plants with labels, incredible housekeeping staff who tend to every detail daily. The land has some pretty incredible history - it was built with pure intention by the family of Dr. Jayalakshmi. Every beam, every piece of art, even every wall color has been selected with consideration and you can feel it.

The rooms are comfortable and well appointed. The first thing I did was put my TV underneath the shelf and cover it up. That's the only thing I changed about the place – lose the TVs.

The treatment start immediately. I met with Dr. Sreejit or Dr. Jayalakshmi daily and they both did an incredible job of tracking my process. They were both very informative, supportive, and caring. I have a keen interest in Ayurveda and they were both very helpful in helping me learn more. For the patients who are less interested in learning and more interested in just the experience, they're comfortable with that too.

The treatments were not always relaxing because they're quite rigorous at times, but they were very effective. I went to Athreya to recharge my batteries and to prepare myself for pregnancy and now even months later, I still feel improved energy, restoration, and I'm pregnant! I couldn't be more thankful for the treatments I received from my wonderful therapists, Anju & Indu.

I also got tremendous benefit from the incredible food. The food is somewhat simple and very much in the south Indian style, but it is absolutely delicious! I'm a professional chef and each and every meal I was incredibly impressed by the balance, and the care, and the skill that was put into every meal. It reawakened my passion for food.

My days were very restful. I napped when I could, did watercolors, read a lot, and enjoy the grounds. It's easy to go for a walk around the neighborhood and the neighbors are friendly and generous with smiles. I spent some time interacting with other guests, but I thought it better to stay more internal and on my own during the process.

When departing, I was prescribed some medications and some techniques, like mantra to take home with me. I've also stayed in regular contact with my doctors and they've been very generous with advice and support even continuing after my treatment.

I can't say enough about all three a resort it truly is a very special place (and I'm a snob). I will be back as soon as possible. I look forward to it already.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled solo