Message from TripAdvisor:
This place is temporarily closed.

“Seaside bungalow”
Review of Hotel Rockholm

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Thiruvananthapuram (Trivandrum)
Hotel Rockholm
Reviewed 16 April 2012

Rockholm is a seaside bungalow converted into a hotel, with a classic old home feel to it.

Sitting on a rock, the hotel offer spectacular views of the Arabian sea.

With both air-conditioned and non air-conditioned rooms, the hotel has some of the biggest rooms in Kovalam.

The highlights of the hotel (which also happens to the oldest in Kovalam) are the beautiful beach right beside it & the gentle old man who manages the place. Freddie makes just about everyone feel at home with his genuine compassion & hearty laughter.

The cleanliness is not up to the mark of star hotels in the area, but the staff responds quickly to requests. The quality of service is very good and almost all rooms have a view of the sea. The food is very good & the staff are friendly. There is an ayurveda center very close to the hotel & one can make appointments for consultations/treatments at the hotel reception.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
10  Thank ARajMilano

Reviewed 30 March 2012

Firstly the less liked:
1. The room was "sort of" clean and the cleaner should be checked occasionally to vet the level of service.
2. Maintenance is not too good... but remember, you are in India!!
3. Alcohol is not available. This does not imply that we wanted to get legless, but rather to have a sundowner on the great seaside patio deck.
4. The garden area that accesses the beach was unkept and the rubbish left by an Indian group that was partying there on our first night was left lying around for the days we were there. We guess that cleaning up must be left to someone else! Very much like the rest of India.

Now the great items:
1. The location is FANTASTIC! This hotel must be the closest to the sea in the whole area.
2. The patio deck is as close to the sea that you could be without getting wet!
3. The hotel is located just south of the lighthouse and is therefore much more peaceful than the "blingy" main Lighthouse Beach.
4. The food was very good.
5. This hotel has direct access to the secluded beach along with one other... this keeps the crowds away.
6. The lighthouse is only about 100 meters away. A great viewing point during the public opening time between 3 & 5 every day.
7. A fabulous waterside restuarant The Sea Pearl Cafe in The Mini House Guest House can only be 50 metres away. Each of the properties are in clear view from each other. You can get beer and spirits here to enjoy with your meal as the seas crach on the rocks below.

OVERALL: Do not let the "negative"items put you off from a good hotel in a great setting. We would go back!

Room Tip: We stayed in room 21 which is in the annex that faces the "private" beach and has a great...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Adventurers049
Reviewed 27 March 2012

Great place. Good food. Good value. The perfect location, since the hotel is situated on the cliffs above a beautiful beach with only two hotels - away from the board walk and the long stretch of restaurants. It's basic, but highly recommended.

Room Tip: Room no. 1 does not have a balcony. Next time I will ask, when I book.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank LSCopenhagen
Reviewed 17 March 2012

Rockholm
The Rockholm Hotel was by far the best hotel experience I had during my five weeks in Kerala! My stay started the night before new years eve 2012. As a girl traveling alone I was concerned whether my taxi driver would really be waiting for me at the airport at 4:30am, yet there he was, Kumar, holding up a sign with my name on it. He brought me safely to the hotel after we stopped for a brief chai in the calm of the morning.Allen and Freddy at the front desk always went out of their way to ensure I was completely comfortable. Both room service and the restaurant were always consistent. I highly recommend the fish tikka and a pot of cardamom tea, yum! My favorite two things about the Rockholm were that I actually slept through the night with out any of the typical Indian street sounds, all you here are the crashing Arabian Sea waves. It is very quite and peaceful. The second best thing was the sweet little beach in a secluded cove only steps down from the hotel. I stayed in two different rooms number 15 and the honeymoon suit which I call the queens suit since I was alone. Both of my rooms were spotless and the showers always had hot water. People need to remember that there is a switch on the outside of your door to turn on the electric to the room, it conserves electricity, also short power outages are typical in India. Towards the end of my trip I was eager to get back to the Rockholm and catch up on all the sleep I lost in noisy varkala. Freddy and Allen remembered me and without a reservation ensured me that they had room for my last four days, this ended up being the best time spent on my trip! Thank you Allen for all the good conversations and coconuts, I can't wait to see you all again!
Theresa
Mantramassagestudio.com

Room Tip: In the winter there's no need for AC, the ocean breeze will do just fine.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo
6  Thank Theresa B
Reviewed 18 February 2012

This hotel is actually in Kovalam and not in Trivandrum. It is conveniently located up a hill just a few minutes from the main lighthouse beach and itself has a stunning location next to crashing waves. Unfortunately that is where my positive comments finish.
We travelled with friends and as we were unsure of what the accommodation was going to be like we initially booked one night. We had every intention of extending our stay if the hotel was satisfactory. Unfortunately it wasn't. I had booked an a/c room. On arrival we were told there was not one for us but with the windows open and the fan on it would be cool......Wrong. No apology was forthcoming for the lack of a/c room. It was humid, unbearably warm and, as a result of windows open, visited by mosquitos. We did not sleep at all.
On arriving in our room the electricity was not working and there was no water in the shower of our friends room. The electricity was fixed 45 mins or so later, but meant we could not operate the fan in the meantime.
The room was basic, clean enough. The bathroom was dark and depressing.
I know this is a budget hotel but the next day we went down the beach to the Jeevan Resort and got a much better air conditioned room for just 800 rupees more (about £10).
With decent service and upgrading to rooms this place could be so much more. We would have been willing to extend to 5 nights but didn't. It is a wonderful location and I don't think the owners realise what potential they have on their hands.

Room Tip: If you insist on staying get a room in the main hotel and not in the property across the courtyard
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Verity44
Reviewed 23 January 2012

We stayed at Rockholm in December 2011 and truly enjoyed our stay.
We were not at all impressed with Kovalam Beach, but Rockholm has its own beach (shared with a neighbouring hotel only) we made our stay very good. Sunbeds and umbrellas could be rented on the beach, although quite expensive for being in India. Beach was clean and quiet.

Our room was simple but very clean, and we had a terrace overlooking the sea, perfect place to sit in the evening and watch the sunset. Staff at the hotel were very friendly and helpful.

In our opinion this must be the best choice of (budget) hotel in Kovalam, secluded beach yet only a few minutes to the restaurants of Kovalam beach.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Bellsan
Reviewed 24 December 2011

This hotel is a funky place situation just behind and slight south (100m) from the lighthouse. It's tucked in nicely away from the main beach but less than a 5 minute walk to get there.
The staff is very nice and the rooms were very clean. This place looks like it's out of the 80s with a dash of south beach pastel colours. The bathrooms are average as per India but the views and rest of the hotel are worth the stay.
No breakfast is included which is rare in India but there are plenty of cheap options.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends
3  Thank cozziad
Also consider these accommodations in or near Thiruvananthapuram (Trivandrum)
7.1 km away
Hotel Samudra KTDC
#6 of 52 in Kovalam
5.8 km away
The Travancore Heritage Beach Resort
The Travancore Heritage Beach Re...
#12 of 97 in Thiruvananthapuram (Trivandrum)
5.5 km away
Thapovan Heritage Home
Thapovan Heritage Home
#17 of 52 in Kovalam
6.6 km away
Pappukutty Beach Resort
Pappukutty Beach Resort
#38 of 52 in Kovalam

Been to Hotel Rockholm? Share your experiences!