“The Punjabi Food fest at Kangan, Westin Pune - Rabb Raakha! From 7th to 16th April 2017.”
Review of Kangan

Kangan
Ranked #4 of 7,193 Restaurants in Pune
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed April 15, 2017

Punjabi food is a lot like Punjabis - rich, robust and full of life. Bold textures and hearty ingredients are what make punjabi cuisine so popular all across.
Punjabi cuisine is that one cuisine which has survived civilizations, colonialism and partition to make it's own mark.

It gives me great pleasure to share with you, my experience at the Punjabi food festival happening at Kangan, Westin Pune.

One of the most impressive things about Punjabi food is its variety!
While hardcore carnivores like me can never have enough of the evergreen Butter chicken, Bhuna gosht, Amritsari macchi and the quintessential Tandoori chicken, their vegetarian fare which includes Sarson ka saag, chhole, kulche and daal makhni are equally delightful.

I have been fortunate enough to check in to the picturesque Westin a couple of times this month and last night's dinner has been one of the most memorable dinners in a long time.

The reason?
I got to sample the chef's signature dishes which were showcased in a collection of table d'hôte menus.

Here's a list of the Culinary treasure hidden but available during the Punjabi food fest at Kangan, Westin Pune!
1) Bhatti da Murgh
The char Grilled young chicken leg is a gem from the streets of Punjab. You might want to go and try it yourself to believe me. Yes, it's that good! Perfectly grilled with the right amount of Tandoori marinade.

2) Kacche Ambi aur Gosht ki Seekh
I am sucker for good seekh kebabs and what I tried last night at Kangan were truly a delight. This meat eater was highly impressed with the hand pounded spiced lamb kebabs.

3) Rajma ki Shaami kebabs
They're going to take great care of you, so what if you're a vegetarian? They have a lot for you too my friends. The Rajma ki shaami kebabs are kidney bean cakes which are pan seared and served with mint chutney. Yes! I tried these.

4) Amritsari aloo wadi
Arguably the most popular vegetarian dish in North India, and rightly so. Loved, loved, loved the thin home style preparation of daal wadiyaan.
The other appetizers included Amritsari fish tikka, methi Murgh malai tikka, Bhatti da paneer, achaari bharwan mushroom, etc.

Time for some mains, ain't it?
Tried Martaban ka Gosht in the mains which is a pickle flavored lamb preparation of whole coriander and chili tempered with onion Masala, something which is made at my place as well, the Northern frontier style. The Martaban ka gosht is highly recommended if you're at Kangan.

The next on the table was the Methi Murgh which was nothing but boneless chicken with fresh fenugreek leaves cooked in a traditional punjabi gravy. Now, I'm not really a fan of fenugreek, so this one didn't sit quite well with me.

After my not so great experience with the Methi murgh, they served us the Punjabi daal makhni along with the appetising Baigan ka bharta which is a favorite punjabi recipe and is part of the national cuisines of India, Pakistan and Bangladesh. This carnivore is surely going back to Kangan for their thrilling vegetarian fare.
Other dishes like Amritsari fish curry, paneer tak a tak, khumb mutter hara pyaza, Rajma Masala, punjabi kadi pakoda, etc are all part of the punjabi fest.
Among the rice preparations I only tried the gosht ka tawa pulav and fell in love with it. Succulent meat, flavored rice and the right balance is all that is required and the tawa pulav had it all.

Desserts included one of my absolute favorites, the divine Paan ice cream and Aam ki Phirni which is a north Indian style dessert made with mango puree, sugar and basmati rice.

The Punjabi food fest is currently on and is available a la carte and the chef's special set menu. Dinners only.

#RabbRaakha
#LazeezStories

Date of visit: April 2017
nishantagarwal16, General Manager at Kangan, responded to this reviewResponded April 18, 2017

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review.

We are pleased to note that you had a great time dining at Kangan, our award winning Indian restaurant.

Looking forward to more opportunities to surprise and delight you.

Reviewed April 8, 2017

Located on the 1st floor of West-In hotel, it serves some really good North Indian food...I really like the Dal Makhani and the Chatni Dum Aloo out here.

Date of visit: April 2017
nishantagarwal16, General Manager at Kangan, responded to this reviewResponded April 12, 2017

Dear Guest,

Thank you for reviewing our award winning Indian restaurant.

We are pleased to note that you have carried back fond memories of your dining experience.

Looking forward to more opportunities to surprise and delight you.

Reviewed March 21, 2017 via mobile

I had just visited here with my frnds. The restaurant has a very good ambience and the cutleries are very unique as compared to other restaurants. I like the service given by the restaurant associate Sudesh who handles the guests with care. Overall it was a pleasant experience in Kangan. :)

Date of visit: March 2017
nishantagarwal16, General Manager at Kangan, responded to this reviewResponded March 28, 2017

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review.

We are pleased to note that you enjoyed your dining experience at Kangan, our award winning Italian Restaurant.

Positive feedback such as yours, motivates the team to give their best.

Looking forward to your future visits.

Reviewed March 20, 2017 via mobile

Quite often travelling to Pune, gave me a chance to visit this ship in the form of a hotel, which is filled with good food, great service and warmth of love. We were a group of four friends and we decided to dine at Kangan. We found our starters ,kuti mirch kebabs, quite different. Although we ordered a set menu and were quite fascinated with the unlimited food at our tables. Combining this with Kanika and her team's quite effeciently service, where we were not given a chance to wait or complaint the dinner became all the more memorable. The menu is designed as such to tantalise the refined palate.
Kangan!! You well surprised us.

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for writing a review of Kangan on this forum. Our associates are always on their toes to take care of our guests and we are delighted to receive such a generous testament of their excellence. We will duly share your kind comments with our team for their inspiration.

Looking forward to more opportunities to be of service.

Be Inspired. Be Renewed!

Reviewed March 20, 2017 via mobile

Kangan if famous for North Indian kabab... Has we whenever go Sudesh and Apoorva always offer us there speciality kabab and tikka.This time we tried for Raan and Galauti kabab after the sudesh suggestion we enjoyed the most..has Chef Baghawati shown us the cooking process of lamb.. We really enjoyed the food with my wife and kids.. Has usual we end up with shahi tukda..and pastry for my kids..