“Mythical Masala fest!”

Ranked #134 of 7,147 Restaurants in Pune
Price range: US$11 - US$27
Cuisines: Indian, Italian, Contemporary, International, Cafe
Dining options: Buffet, Reservations
Description: Eighty Eight offers international cuisine in a contemporary and relaxed environment. Go for buffet or a-la carte options and enjoy authentic preparations in style. To add to the ambience, an open wood-fired oven serving Roma-style pizzas and small bakes to-order is also available. An exclusive semi-private dining room complements the restaurant for those wanting additional privacy.
Reviewed March 15, 2018 via mobile

Ongoing Food Festival: Mythical Masalas @Eighty Eight, Hyatt Pune

Believe it or not, India and Indians have some things for sure, a lot of history, respect for elders and, much love for food. Indians, specially , believe in “अतिथिदेवो भव”, which literally translates to, “Guest is akin to God”, and who wouldn’t respect their guests.

We were regaled with a colourful account of our dinner spread at “EIGHTY EIGHT” which is tucked neatly with live counters, an open wood fired oven & buffet stations in one part of Hyatt Pune. There’s also a semi-private dining area for those looking for extra privacy, or the outdoor area if you’re comfortable with the breeze. I’ve known Hyatt Pune since long for their intriguing food festivals time and again. Who doesn’t love “माँ के हाथ का खाना”. This time it’s the “Mythical Masalas Festival”. What makes it unique is the fact that not only are we trying on long lost recipes/recipes passed down through generations, but the effort here is quite commendable. Chef Suvendu Roy (Head Chef) & Chef Shafique Ahmed (sous chef) were quoted as saying, “We wanted authentic dishes for our patrons, and so we have on board the powerhouses of our kitchens-Mothers. Mothers of some of our chefs who could spare their time and impart valuable expertise about the food that they’ve grown up with.”

That’s it, two recipes a day, started on 10th March and valid till 20th March’18, showcased each day apart from their regular buffet counter. You’ll be able to see dishes from as far as Kanyakumari, a few from the eastern mountain region of Arunachal Pradesh, to some from the city of joy-Kolkata.

A total of 7 dishes that we sampled from the Mythical Masalas menu, my favourites were the “Boti ni Akuri”, “Goalondo chicken curry” & “Kalyana Mor Kuzhambhu”.

Everyone has their own version/twist when it comes to preparation of various dishes.
This particular Akuri was a modestly spiced scrambled egg dish prepared with Mutton botis, as done in many Parsi households, the bite sized botis definitely caught my attention, and they would for sure, if prepared a bit more succulent.

Goalando Chicken Curry and another Indian gravy dish, “Roi Tel Macher Jhol” were slushy with masala & a bit of extra oil (I think it’s supposed to be that way). Certainly, that didn’t inhibit the freshness of the Chicken & Fish, and I was able to salvage some rich flavours. I don’t exactly remember the name of the fish used, but it had a bit more of what we call “Kaante” in them, and made it a meticulous task to not eat them along with the meat.

If you’re a vegetarian and okay with coconut, “Kalyana Mor Kuzhambhu” would be my suggestion. This is yet another snack-delicacy from the south Indian states, where Bonda’s with different fillings are fried and devoured. Here, this particular dish utilises savoury fried bonda’s in a creamy, yoghurt based gravy, and the subtle flavour of coconut is hint enough of it being from around the regions of Kerela & Tamil Nadu.

I was not really in the mood for steamed/fried veggies, yet one of the dishes, “Gobhi Dhantel ki Subzi”, grabbed my attention. Normally we’d be accustomed to having cauliflower in our curries, this subzi is made out of the stalk of the cauliflower plant. A dry and slightly sour-spiced curry with a taste reminiscent of “Turshi” (pickled vegetables prepared in the Middle East), and there’s “Phindi Miriyam” (for those who dig Urad Dal) , and “Thaalagam Kothu”(cooked with Hing & curry leaves/jaggery etc. ). However these two seemed quite plane Jane to my buds.

Apart from these, the regular buffet fared great when I tried their soups, Mutton biryani etc., and there’s plenty of choice for Salads and desserts, both tasty and above average. Be it the Fruit Custard, or the Coconut Kala Jamun. It’s their Tres Leches which becomes more engrossing with each bite you take.

In short, “Eighty Eight”, at Hyatt Pune has managed to keep a balance between their ongoing fest and their regular buffet options (it is a good strategy to showcase 1-2 recipes each day and not everything everyday) and for the sake of this festival, is moderately priced at ₹1450++. Meat lovers & veggie lovers have a few choices to make. For a person like me, who prefers a star property for a heavy meal over an Uber expensive restaurant outside, it’s worth a deal.

********************************************
Fest: Mythical Masalas
Venue: Eighty Eight, Hyatt Pune, Kalyani Nagar
Date: 10-20 March’18
Time- 7 PM- 10 PM
Cost- ₹1450++
Contact: +91918806751234

Reviewed March 1, 2018 via mobile

The best restaurant services ever scene...know about the preferences and what u like. Person in restaurant SACHIN took extreme care and get out of his way to full fill our requirements. Thank you and definitely come back to experience the same. Thanks to Doris also and best smile of Bonita hostess thank you all of u

3  Thank Atiqur Rahman S
Reviewed February 22, 2018 via mobile

Chef Shafiq and his team was very professional. They were very cordial and quick to deliver the food as per our choice. The taste was really good too. My wife and enjoyed our dinners very much during our stay. Would definitely love to come back in future.

Reviewed February 13, 2018 via mobile

I am not sure how others would rate it, but I had dum lamb biryani and it was so good. But the service was slow, probably they are short handed and with inexperienced staff. Just need to keep up.

1  Thank HCLUM
sethuraman_sundaram, Food and Beverage Manager at Eighty Eight, responded to this reviewResponded February 19, 2018

Dear HCLUM,

Thank you for dining with us and I am disappointed to read that you had a mixed experience. Your feedback is important to us and I wish to assure you that I along with my team will address the points that did not match up to your expectations.

We hope that there will be another opportunity in the future to deliver a better dining experience to you and truly showcase our hospitality.
Warm regards

Sethuraman S
Food & Beverage Manager

Reviewed January 8, 2018

I stayed at the Hyatt for my anniversary and had dinner and the breakfast buffet at Eighty Eight. The tenderloin steak and spaghetti bolognaise were out of this world! The portions of meat and potions in general were very good. The tenderloin was medium well and was done to perfection. Their Pizza Calabrese is also very good and the size as well. Since it was our anniversary, we had a cake baked by the chef which was a lovely gesture. A little steep, pricewise, given its the Hyatt but totally worth the experience.

2  Thank ellarego

Dear ellarego,

Thank you for your kind feedback. We are delighted to know that you enjoyed your dining experience at Eighty Eight and liked the food and the friendly staff.

Thank you once again for recognizing the efforts of the team members, your words will certainly motivate them to continue to do their best.

We look forward to welcome you again at Eighty Eight.

Warm regards