Umaid Bhawan Palace Jodhpur
US$76
Savings alert! 39% below average rates

The price you found is 39% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$125/night.

Devi Bhawan(Jodhpur)
US$55
US$47
  • Pool
US$54
US$46
Savings alert! 12% below average rates

The price you found is 12% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$52/night.

US$74
US$41
  • Breakfast included
US$60
US$32
Savings alert! 44% below average rates

The price you found is 44% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$57/night.

US$36
US$152
Ajit Bhawan(Jodhpur)
US$98
1,650 results
All reviewsumaid bhawan palaceindoor poolrose petalshistorical suitelike royaltytrophy barpillars restaurantroyal suiteart decojiva spapicnic basketonce in a lifetimered carpetroyal experiencebest hotel i have ever stayedterrace overlookingtaj group
Reviewed December 21, 2016

Memories and good vacations are best savoured at length and at leisure. ..just as our stay at the Umaid Bhavan Palace was.

This grand palace had been on my wishlist of dream addresses to stay at, since I was a little girl! Am now nigh 50. Such is the lure and charm of an architectural splendor especially one which houses a royal life. That it came to be awarded "The Best Hotel in the world", seemed inconsequential; rather amusing, wondering how people wouldn't have known better!

I have been fortunate to travel internationally all my life, and reside at some of the best addresses when I do so.
Consequently, my benchmarks can be a tad high and I don't impress easily. Also we, (my family), are rather fastidious, routine driven and set in many of our ways. Not exactly the dream houseguests, am sure.
Most of our holidays are at dream hotels/cruises/destinations. We constantly look for not just the best, but nouvelle and WOW travel experiences. Albeit, i think we could qualify as discerning travelers.

It's now close to 3 months and another 2 international trips done, since we holidayed at the Palace hotel...and everyday I recall a precious memory. This is a first for me; and the prime motivation for this review: to enlist the highlights of my stay and once again savour the grandeur of this magnificent palace hotel.
I have to be rather affected/moved to invest time writing a review/feedback.

Some precious moments etched forever:
1. The turban tying evening - have uploaded the video - at sunset, at the palaces terrace. Had a team headed by Mr.Piyush tie and teach my husband the traditional turbaned headgear of JOdhpur. WOW!
2. Private thaali dinner arranged in a secluded area of the palace- with peacocks for company! And by sunset. Thank you yet again Piyush!
3. Magically appearing wicker baskets laden with overwhelming choices of eats n drinks by the pool/garden...or just wherever you went in the hotel - some refreshment would magically find its way to you!
4 . wild Birds and squirrels who maybe hand fed!
5. The palace's own vegetable garden which has the produce also being utilized by the palace kitchen!
6. A pre-arrival questionnaire to capture any special requests and then PROVIDING them. I was hugely grateful for my custom herb-infused water I had asked for.
7. The flocks of different pigeon varieties, flying in formations around the Palace dome. Made for countless pretty photos.
8. The gorgeous pathway to the pool covered in a tunnel formed by the creepers wooden branches!. Eerie first but nothing like I've experienced before. Etched forever in my memory.
9. The drive in the Maharajah's vintage car. My late father was a car collector & my hubby comes from d auto centre of USA, This was v special indeed.
10. Live flautist playing, as we had breakfast, with a view overlooking the palaces gardens. Soothing. Somehow reduces the conversational din as many enjoyed listening to the flute. Nice!

High Cuteness Quotient:
1. The velvet laundry sandook in which your clothes are brought back.
2. The nightly turnover service sees a tray of goodies accompanied by a rajasthani toy. Wish I had got them with me..they were cute cute cute!
3. (Drapery) cords and tassels used as DND and clean my room indicators
4. Now not operational, but was told a toy train which used to ferry the royal children around the grounds!
5. A very very slow vintage elevator..with a deewan sofa, to sit on while u ride to the next floor! Like huh, sit and travel in an elevator! The Royal Life I guess!
6. Lace trimmed nakins accompanying the tea service. How old school and almost quaint...and so adorable. Colonial influences still remain in most royal families.
7. The footboard in the vintage Cadillac! When was the last time u sat in a car you could stretch your legs long enough and then to find a footboard to support your feet :-)
8. The high foam n rose petal bath set up by HK. We chose it for all nights of our stay. The antislip mat was a great touch. It's called the Maharani/Maharajah bath by another reviewer :-)
9. The Maharani suite, feminine n adorable. Felt like insta Barbie..all pink and cuteness. Could make for a great all day hen's party, me thinks :-) Adorable. Also far superior to the Maharajah's suite in terms of layout and design.
10. The mosiac work around the subterranean pool showcasing the zodiac signs
11. The secluded room on the way to the terrace..5th floor is it? How private! but only for fit and active folks. It's not let out much as it can be a pain gettin around to the rest of the hotel; except for the terrace which is usually kept locked.

Surprise! Surprise!
1. bathroom slippers & terry towel robes that actually fit us! We are fat and tall so this is our pet peeve.
2. Huge bed with place to spare for the body pillows and long enough so our feet were not dangling/ resting at the edge.
3. It's a "Champagne moment" always at the palace! Celebrate! Poolside? Welcome ceremony? Breakfast? Library? During a walk??? While you lounge? High tea? Phew! endless and flowing bubbly me thinks..no complains! They even had couple of carafes of complimentary alcohol parked in our rooms. Compliments of His Highness did they say?
5. Gifts on departure - a refreshing change from merely the bill and bottles of water for the onward journey.
6. Functional stables with indigenous species of horses! The Kathiawadis.
Polo matches are still held and one may attend these annually, sometime in the 4th quarter.
7. Subterranean pool which you may go to for a late night dip too!

All this accompanied by the usual givens at a 5 star property.

Some precious people without whom this stay would not have been half as charismatic:
Undoubtedly Piyush - more on him later, hang in there.

The beaming doorman - with a monstrously huge moustache and glittering black eyes to go with it (he should be designated the property's mascot - such is visual impact of his countenance and demeanor)

The charming yet proud, white gloved driver, who drove us in the royal vintage car. Such was his pride and joy: it shone on his face as he drove us in his gleaming Cadillac. He was full of not just the cars' history but also of the others in the collection. What a Wikipedia! Just needed some cajoling to get sharing. He, like the other staff, maintains a respectful distance and speaks when spoken to. Love it!

Our personal butler (Laxminarayan?): pre-empting and ensuring how to make our stay even more remarkable. Once he noticed my husband's fondness for headgears, he was the one to get us a turban for my husband's large head to take, with us, as a souvenir. Thank you - he treasures it and shows it off to even his Indian friends!

The magical masseuse at the Jiva spa. Saraswati. She, am certain is blessed with magic in those fingertips of hers. Such care and concern does she bestow on you when she weaves her magical ayurvedic treatments - utterly unbelievable. I thought it could be a one off, but after 3 treatments, she is officially the best masseuse ever. This endorsement from a chronic spa junkie. The massages healed my frozen knee like new. Can't thank this lady enough - Ms.MagicHands!

The reach and calibre of the kitchen and F&B team. I am hoping to write a separate restaurant review of these teams to capture a GLIMPSE of the culinary life I experienced while at the royal palace. Even the mundane had more style and oomph than possible. Check the image of those Rambutans.

So were there no misses?
Sure there were. The hotel is run by humans not God! They've thought of everything and constantly work at outdoing your expectations. However they still request your feedback on what they could still do better...and that's when I had to deliberately start gleaning!

1. For starters the souvenirs.
Though there is an inhouse souvenir giftshop, and even neckties on display at the spa and gorgeous gifts on departure...there are no options for culinary purchases...and if there is, it's not been highlighted well!
With such a talented kitchen team of bakers, chocolatiers, and fine connoisseurs this is sadly overlooked.
The kitchen has the most delicious, handmade preserves and pickles and chocolates. Fabulous teacakes and cookies. Traditional baking recipes which reminded us of our mothers/grandmas baking!
If only these cakes n cookies could be on sale!
How I would have loved to have taken a pound of Dundee or even Christmas or spice cake from this kitchen. All packed n sealed to travel n impress. The chocolates with the embossed royal emblems were a welcome delight every night.
They could well start their line of Palace gourmet foods...which may be bought by visitors or residents alike. WHY await for a festive Taj hamper when these goodies can be offered all year round?
A box of their colorful n unusual flavored macaroons, the ker-sangri pickle, the fruit cake, gorgeous fruit jam speckled with kiwi seeds, the glimmering marmalade with fine strands of orange. The marmalade by the way, stands a very good chance of winning the coveted Dalemain Marmalade double gold award!
I have yet to find under one hotel roof, such a fine selection of cold cuts. The smoked duck and the shimmering pork salamis are especially elusive. The Oberoi delicatessan though may just have these and variants of cheeses together but otherwise the country has limited options. It's not merely the quality of the products but how well they are stored in the tropics, that makes all the difference.

2. No live dance performances were on or could be made available at an extra charge. Bummer. Rajasthani folk dancers costumes are rather colorful and the live dances would have been a first.

3. The TVs are terribly basic for such glam rooms. Larger screens can be accommodated but a basic 4k with 3.0 usb would have helped us playback our usb movie selection. Very basic tv, with preset color n light tones and even poorer sound. We do enjoy an occasional movie. They did not have an inhouse home theatre ( their amphitheater was too large for a couple) and the DVD collection needs an upgrade. Our chosen movie cover had the main movie missing!

4. A dustbin in the living room please. Hide it besides d fireplace if it reduces d glam quotient. Convenience can't be compromised.

5. There are just no clothes pegs behind doors or in the bathroom or anywhere in the whole suite! There was a coats rack, but what if I just want to hang my purse or my nightwear or spa clothes separately to make a quick grab. The walkin wardrobe provides adequate shelves and hangers, but no arrangements for belts/ties. I did mention this to Piyush and he made a note of the feedback.

Yes, stay at this hotel purely at your peril, because hereafter no hotel will appear good enough to grace with your presence. Spoken like a royal? Let me put it plainly, this hotel will reign as the benchmark for all of your future hotel experiences.

Thank you team Taj Umaid Bhavan Palace hotel...and heartiest congratulations. .it's not an easy job, but you do it very well, forsaking even your festive holidays to ensure we have a great one. Thanks for having us! Planning to see you again. You are my current hot favorite!

Room Tip: Don't hesitate to ask Buttler for bespoke experiences. Get a photographer to capture your memories. Use that Inner Circle membership!
  • Stayed: October 2016, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Sarah S
Management response:Responded December 23, 2016

Dear Madam,

Greetings from the Grand Royal Palace!

Thank you for taking time out to share this delightful review. We are glad you have wonderful memories from your experience with us. Delivering excellent service is our utmost priority and we are thankful that you have experienced it.

We are delighted to read your compliments on our entire team and I have taken the liberty of sharing your lovely feedback with the entire team and they are equally excited to know about your Royal experience at the Palace.

We value your kind patronage, I am confident that you would provide us another opportunity to be of service to you and experience the gracious hospitality provided by Taj Umaid Bhawan Palace.

We look forward to welcoming you & your family to the palace, once again.

Reviewed December 19, 2016

I really do not understand why this hotel was chosen best hotel in the world. Ok: the reception with trumpets, rose petals and all was impressive. The service was incredibly slow. After check in we wanted to have lunch and this really took forever. Our room was not in the main building but close to the maharadja's quarters. It was gloomy; nothing modern, like plugs to charge multiple devices. Even worse: the bathroom floor had marks, like somebody had stepped in pooh and walked through the bathroom to our toilet. It looked terrible. We travelled with three couples and upon arrival they took a picture of our group. However the finished product only arrived with 2 out of the three couples. Having breakfast or dinner at the terrace is amazing. Gym is fine, grounds beautiful, but for me this was not a five star experience at all

• Stayed: November 2016, travelled as a couple
3  Thank lfld01
Management response:Responded December 20, 2016

Greetings from Umaid Bhawan Palace, Jodhpur!

I am deeply anguished and embarrassed to receive your feedback regarding the overall service experience during your stay. At the outset please accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused to you and please be rest assured that all necessary steps have been taken to ensure non-recurrence.

I would also like to thank you for taking your valuable time in sharing your feedback with us, as it is feedback such as yours that helps us to improve upon our existing standards of service.

Regarding your picture of arrival, please do let us know the courier address to enable us to send the same by courier at the earliest.

We value your patronage and look forward to welcoming you during your next stay with us.

Reviewed December 18, 2016

this is the best palace i`ve ever seen in India! no words! it`s very very beautiful place. and it`s huge! we went there for dinner and when i entered the palace i was amazed by its beauty and greatness! there are well maintained and beautifully designed gardens around the palace! i liked the restaurant very much! the service was excellent and the food was very delicious. can`t wait to be back there soon!

• Stayed: March 2016, travelled as a couple
Management response:Responded December 19, 2016

Greetings from Umaid Bhawan Palace, Jodhpur!

Thank you so much for a fabulous review on your recent stay at the Palace. We are so pleased to read that you enjoyed your overall experience in our hotel and that we have met your expectations.

The Palace design and the services are elements of our hotel that we are extremely proud of, and it is always such a pleasure to read our guests’ positive feedback regarding these.

Your kind comments regarding our staff are most welcome; they do work so hard to ensure all guests are as comfortable as possible during their time with us.

Thank you for selecting Umaid Bhawan Palace for your stay in the Blue city. We do very much look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Reviewed December 18, 2016

Sumer at reception was a miracle man! The day before I was due to leave, I discovered that I had booked my return flight to Delhi for the wrong date and when I went online there were no seats available on the day I wanted to fly. Miracle man got me on the flight and I only paid a very small change fee! Eternally grateful as I would have missed my connection to the UK.

• Stayed: December 2016, travelled with friends
Management response:Responded December 19, 2016

Dear Sir,

Greetings from Umaid Bhawan Palace, Jodhpur !

Thank you for taking your valuable time in sharing your feedback. I am pleased to note that the experience at the Palace met your expectations and that you had a memorable stay at the Palace.

I have taken the liberty to share your kind appreciation with Sumer and the whole team, as it is feedback such as yours that motivates us to achieve higher levels of services and standards.

We thank you very much for your kind patronage of The Taj Hotels Resorts and Palaces, which we truly cherish and assure you of our best attention and services.

Look forward to welcoming you and your family members to Umaid Bhawan Palace, Jodhpur!

Reviewed December 16, 2016 via mobile

We went to Umaid Bhawan as part of my wife's birthday celebration. The palace is very stunning with beautiful gardens. The staff made us feel very special and planned amazing surprises for my wife's birthday dinner. Its expensive but you do receive top level service. After experiencing this palace hotel, I am keen to explore other palace hotels in India.

Stayed: October 2016