All reviews tuk tuk old city blue city guest house rooftop restaurant the owner clock tower steep stairs narrow streets charming place mehrangarh fort great place to stay beautiful building train station family run hotel is situated delicious food
Reviewed February 8, 2018

Loved my 3 night stay at this family-run guest-house in the old city. Instead of staying at some luxury chain of an air-conditioned fortress away from the lives of people, in Jodhpur I wanted a closer-to-the-ground authenticity (this place does have AC, I just didn't use it since I was there in February and the temperature was near perfect). Room 51 offers a spectacular view of the Fort, which I could not keep my eyes off of! The rooftop cafe is small so it's almost like having your own the cook (I'm a foodie and yet I mostly ate here, I'd describe it no frills but good quality -- they even had a pretty decent coffee which is hard to find in India). When I tallied up all that I consumed in 4 days, their list and mine matched perfectly, not a single mistake! It is not sophisticated service, but genuine family run willingness I loved at this place. A boy who works there unceremoniously carried up all my luggage in a single hop-step-and-jump when I arrived. When he saw me coming back from the day's walk, he promptly ran off and ran back with a chilled bottle of water. One particularly breezy early morning, I commented it's too cold to have breakfast at the rooftop, they offered to bring it to my room. When the kid put on some music I didn't like on the rooftop, I asked and they promptly changed it. Slept well in spite of being a light sleeper (a few streets removed from the major thoroughfare, which really helps, but you shouldn't expect a Scandinavian or North American-grade utter silence -- this is, after all, in the middle of old-city India). From my balcony I enjoyed listening to local kids running around, neighbors chatting, old ladies chanting, sellers calling, and chorus of prayers that echo around the city). Take a tuk-tuk from the airport, as taxicab cannot take you here (narrow streets).

Room Tip: I stayed in Room 51. An absolute spectacular view of the fort!
  • Stayed: February 2018, travelled solo
2  Thank XimenaYZ
Reviewed February 1, 2018

We stayed here 2 nights, enjoyed the guest house, the food, the owners and the location.
Breakfasts were good, our one dinner was excellent (we should have repeated since Indique was much more expensive and the food no better). We had some laundry done for a reasonable price, the owner arranged a day trip to Osian Village, answered our questions.
Two caveats: there are steep stairs and no elevator, but the staff did carry our bags up and down; the owner does not always respond to emails (texts seem to work better).

• Stayed: January 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed January 22, 2018 via mobile

The reception we received here was so unfriendly that we decided to shorten our stay in Jodhpur from two nights to one.

On arrival we weren’t greeted, let alone welcomed, and without any check-in formalities (which normally includes basic information on the accommodation and the city) shown the room. Here we realised that our twin room, which had been confirmed as 2 king beds, actually consisted of one king bed and one small bed stuck in the corner. The owner insisted that it was Expedia’s fault, as he had asked them many times to change the information on their website. As suspected, this was not the truth, as he explained the next day that he had misunderstood the website. He became very argumentative and an extremely unpleasant scene ensued. He tried to justify his behaviour by saying that he had a fever, but one can never treat guests the way he treated us, especially as he was in the wrong.

The room is nice enough for the price and clean, but the guest house doesn’t have a welcoming feeling at all. Waiting staff in the restaurant more interested in their mobile phones than customers fitted right in with the general level of non-service.

The owner offered his apologies the next morning, and I suggested a number of ways in which we could be compensated, but this fell on deaf ears. So unfortunately I don’t think the apology was sincere, but rather aimed at dissuading me from writing a bad review.

In almost two months of traveling through India, this was the one and only time where I did not feel welcome. For this reason I would recommend you look at alternative accommodation options in Jodhpur.

Stayed: November 2017, travelled with friends
Shahi G, Owner at Shahi Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded January 31, 2018

Dear Mam
I wonder what should write about you.....Your problem I can understand you need two king size of bed but you got here one king size bed and one so single but thanks God you like room, no negative.....I know when you arrive here my staff show you room and you was angry because of twin beds. My staff call me and I came to your room even I was sick then you start shouting on me even I was cool and told you if you don't like to stay you can take your time and choose other hotel for your stay.I was ready to cancel your booking and refund your money back but even you angry on me.I told you i am not feeling well plz tell me what you want but your behaviour was extreme rude on me.First time in my saw customer like you in my 18 years of this business. It was written by mistake in Expedia about 2 king size bed and then I hand to hand correct this mistake.
We are doing this hotel business last 18 year and we always take care of our customers very well that's why we have good rating .We really never want to disappoint our any guest.For us customers satisfaction and happiness is much more value then money.
Thanks

Reviewed January 17, 2018 via mobile

My father and I stayed here in January and it was the highlight of our Rajasthan trip. I really liked this hotel because it has the charm and elegant feel of Rajasthani havelis without the pretentiousness of those 5-star luxury palace hotels in India. The hotel itself was beautiful and small (they only have six rooms), gorgeously restored. We stayed in the top room on the highest floor, and we had a fantastic view of the fort and the city from our window. The rooftop also has a great view of the fort and the city. The rooms are really elegant and charming. Everything was clean and well-maintained. The family that owns the place is very helpful and nice. They also have turtles--if you look carefully you'll find them hiding on the roof!

Stayed: January 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed January 13, 2018 via mobile

Lively well maintained family Guesthouse, it clearly has a womans touch so it is impeccably clean, comfortable bed and pillows. It is situated in the old city therefore you need to walk in or get a tuk tuk. If you let the guesthouse know when you are close by, they arrange the tuk tuk. It is very good value for money, i think this has bern the nicest place i have stayed so far in India.

Stayed: January 2018, travelled solo