“We so admired the ethos of this hotel” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Khem Villas

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Sawai Madhopur
Khem Villas
Ranked #1 of 43 Sawai Madhopur B&B and Inns
Milton Keynes
“We so admired the ethos of this hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2012

We spent three nights here and loved it. My only regret is that I we didn't go for one of the cottages or tents - completely my fault, I was frightened of snakes!
The food is the best variety of vegetarian that we have had in a hotel and the staff were fantastic, always helpful, smiley and polite.
The spa is to die for, you must try it, I personally recommend the foot massage and exfoliation, my little fat feet felt so light and refreshed afterwards, thank you so much to the staff there.
The projects that they have set up to help the local community and to protect the tigers are admirable and I enjoyed my visit to the local school, the children were delightful, motivated to learn, very polite and with excellent English - probably a little more chatty than they would normally be due to my lack of Hindi!
Definitely a place to go back to, we saw tigers twice which added to the experience, but even without our sightings it was a privilege to be allowed to share their environment for a short while.

Room Tip: There has never been a problem with snakes so choose a tent or a cottage, I really regret my overact...
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (151)
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2012

We stayed at Khem Villas for two nights in a tent and four safari rides. We were amazed by the beauty of this little oasis and all the good things that the founder did for the conservation of wildlife and the advancement of the local, rural communities. A part of the room rate actually contributes to a foundation with these purposes (which is probably a little comfort when you look at the room rates). They serve an average breakfast, a very good continental/international lunch and a delicious vegetarian Indian dinner. Khem Villas is the last stop of the gipsy/canters, so you get picked-up last and dropped-off first.

Pros:
- Excellent service
- Calm, very beautiful location/property with nice view of Rhantambore hill range, small plunge pool, garden and plenty of opportunities to retreat
- Nice, simple but modern tents with hardwood floor, good bed and clean bath

Cons:
- Wifi was quite unreliable during our stay and only available in the main building
- Pricey

We would definitely stay at Khem Villas again and would recommend it to travelers that are seeking a upmarket, romantic place to stay. Having passed other accommodations in Sawai Madhopur, this definitely one of the best places.

Room Tip: Cottages and rooms have A/C, cottages also an outdoor shower, tents give you more the outdoor experi...
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2012

I spent three nights here in the lodge (their cheapest rooms) in February 2012. I traveled with my 10 year old son and we really enjoyed our stay here. As other travelers have commented, it is a beautiful oasis stop in India. We appreciated that it was the last canter/gypsy stop when being picked up for safaris (allowed us to sleep in later) and the first drop off post-safari. We found the food wonderful and enjoyed two and a half lazy days here - we did four safaris. No tigers, but we loved seeing all of the other wildlife. I also walked up one afternoon to the nearby women's cooperative, Daskatar, where I purchased some wonderful items and really appreciated being able to shop in this way. The place was very family friendly and a nice place to stay with my son.

The downsides were that it was really, really expensive and were I to go back, I'm not sure I'd stay here again because of cost. Laundry was super expensive too - twice as much as what we paid at a pricey place in Delhi and almost eight times as much as what we paid in Jaisalmer. A final big downside was the internet connection which was only available in a common room and really spotty even there. We had some train reservations to still deal with and had a somewhat stressful time trying to connect and finalize those travel plans.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
Kingsbridge, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2012

We chose to arrive in time to do and afternoon safari, stay one night , then do a morning safari the next day.
We did the trip in a jeep (shared with others only 6 at most) rather than a Cantor (18+) in order to get to smaller places and get a better view.
Saw a different Tiger on each safari including an attempted kill - just amazing as they were only 6 feet away!
Stayed in tents which are lovely, if a bit warm during the day in April.
Lovely grounds, lots of plants and birds and a crocodile in one of the ponds.
I am a carnivore but found the 'veggy food' fine for a couple of days.
Service was excellent.

Room Tip: Villas have A/C I think but the tents make it more fun and they are well appointed.
1 Thank peterindevon
Mackay
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2012

It beats me why this place got the peoples choice award, I think they must be just desparate to find something 1/2 decent in India. We had booked into one of the tents & yes it was lovely, but it was a sauna (which you dont really need at the price they charge for them) so we upgraded to a cottage which was absolutely wonderful, but still not what you would call 4 star. However it was very comfortable and we had a great 3 days there. We found the internet was not working and I dont think it ever does for guest ! but if you complain enough they give you a password for another one & yes miraculously it works (hardly 4 star service) The food was embarrassing for them, all the same & no variety, Breakfast had cornflakes & milo flakes as cereal ? The deserts were a joke and we even had pizza once. We have stayed in 4 star accom, in Europe, Africa, Australia & the Middle East & this place is worth about 1/2 of what they charge. However if you turn a blind eye to the price & food, the rooms are great however the wait services at meal time needs to be improved. It is at a very pleasant location with lots of lush gardens that you can walk around in. I think with some specialised input to the restaurant side it could be bought up to standard.

Room Tip: Go the Cottage unless it is in Winter then the tents would be fine !!!
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Numzani
mumbai
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2012

We spent 5 nights at Khem Vilas. It literally is an oasis of cool green in the otherwise brown, dry landscape. Being birders we were delighted with the fabulous bird life and ever present birdsong. The greenery and the sweet fragrance of roses and other flowers as one walked through the gardens was simply delightful! The cottages were comfortable and the outdoor bath is a super treat!
The staff were very polite and courteous. We did miss the personal touch of the hosts that we have experienced in other wildlife resorts though. The vegetarian food was delicious.
It would have been much appreciated if some kid friendly goodies appeared from time to time as we had small kids with us. We did get a fatigued by the same tomato sandwiches that kept appearing in our packed breakfast each morning for 5 days. A little variety would be welcome !
Also, we did not realise that we were the last hotel on the canter list; always getting the leftover last seats, making photography difficult.
A quiet beautiful oasis.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank jaszmine p
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2012

We spent three nights at Khem Villas and did three safaris. We could have done more but we were lucky enough to see a tiger on the first one so had an afternoon relaxing at the resort on our last day.
We stayed in a tent, waking up to exotic birdsong, crickets chirping and peacocks calling. It is an authentic way to experience the surroundings but as there is no air con the tent is incredibly hot in the day but gets quite cool at night. Luckily we were equipped with more than ample blankets to cope!
Getting up for the safari at 6am is hard work but the pain is sweetened by the staff bringing fresh tea to your door. A nice personal touch which was much needed and appreciated along with the provisions of sandwiches and water for the safari as well as the fresh cool towels upon our return.
The resort is set in lovely natural surroundings and is eco friendly and vegetarian. Breakfast and dinner (Indian) is buffet and lunch (European) is served from bowls brought to the tables. Food is home cooked from vegetables and fruit grown on site and very tasty.
Staff are very friendly and sweet.
I really enjoyed our stay, it was relaxing and peaceful.
There were a few things we felt could make it excellent but these are minor and I think we are being picky!
The main thing was that the gypsys (jeeps) for the safaris were booked out on the official website. I think this is largely due to travel agents block booking them.
The reception staff did try to get cancellations on the day but this was not possible. I felt more could have been done to advise or organise this for us as I had contacted them about this from London weeks before arrival.
I felt that the price for the tent although this included meals was quite expensive (approx £200 per night) compared to what we have experienced elsewhere in India.
Whilst I didn't mind the vegetarian option each day my partner being a meat lover would have preferred a choice.
The bar wasn't particularly well stocked and there was no ice for drinks during the first two days and we missed this with our G&Ts!
The plunge pool could have been better maintained and perhaps more secluded.
The wifi/lounging room could be cosier, with more books, games, music, ambient lighting etc.
The outdoor bar area with chairs wasn't really open and felt a little dead. Maybe we were unlucky and came at a time when other guests just weren't using it but in the evenings it felt a little like there wasn't much to do after you finished dinner other than retreat to the room/tent.
However, do not let this put you off. I think it is a lovely resort in very peaceful surroundings. Perfect for families, solo travellers, couples and friends. I would go back but this time making sure we get space in a gypsy!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple