“My dream came true”

Ranked #2 of 156 Hotels in Udaipur
Teresina, PI
“My dream came true”
Reviewed 5 February 2012

I had been wanting to stay at the TAJ LAKE PALACE for around 15 years before I actually got to go this past January. For many years I read the reviews on Trip Advisor, saw as many pictures as I could and thought about going. When I finally arrived at the airport in Udaipur there was someone waiting for me there to take me to one of the Palace's vintage cars. From that point on to the next 29 hours and 30 minutes I lived a fairy tale. I arrived at 7 am and they offered me a hotel room to rest before I could go to my room which was upgraded and had a beautiful Lake view.
Everything about this hotel is spectacular. And everything surpassed my expectations -- even the way the hotel looks. You don't know what an attentive staff is before you go there! Trust me! They take care of every detail. It never took any of the hotel staff members more than 30 seconds to get back to me on a question. And they seemed to know all my preferences as soon as I entered the door the very first second. The hotel will definitely give you lots of "eye candy". All guests go crazy and can never stop taking pictures.
They also have very good live entertainment at the hotel: a flute player, a Rajasthani puppet theater show, a cultural walk of the palace and an evening show with an amazing dancer.
If you are staying for a short amount of time, just skip Udaipur and focus on the hotel. Also, enjoy the Jiva Spa. I had one of the signature treatments which was very good. I promise you it will be hard to want to stay anywhere else after this.

7 Thank EricaRodriguesFontes

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (646)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Sao Paulo, SP
Reviewed 5 February 2012

My husband are travel junkies and this is one of our favorite hotel stays to date! The hotel staff is incredibly kind and accommodating. From the moment the Jags picked us up from the airport to the time we left, we were taken care of beyond our imagination. Staying at the Taj was an incredible experience and we can not wait to come back.

Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed 4 February 2012

Last week we were staying (my husband and our two girls of 7 and 10) in the Lake Palace.
We are avid travellers and have been staying in many hotels around the world, but this hotel has exceeded our expectations by far !!!

Upon arrival we were welcomed like royals, received an ugrade to a Royal Suite and got pampered every day.
Upon hearing I had been in this hotel 21 years ago, we received a freshly baked chocolate cake in the room that said "Welcome back" and were taken our picture that was framed in our room a couple of hours later!!
This is just an example of how the staff of the hotel sees and hears everything and uses it to make your stay even more special.
Our children were invited to a personal cooking session with the pastry chef and enjoyed the puppet show and dance performances.
The staff was very child friendly.
We enjoyed every second of our stay in this gorgeous romantic hotel and hope to be back soon.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view on the lake. You don't really need a balcony as there are plenty of g...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 3 February 2012

Wonderful place, straight out of the books of great authors and poets. The Lake Palace is so efficient, and self-sufficient in every word, for a splendid stay. There is no need to leave the place and go to shore. Everything one needs in life is there, from the magnificently comfortable rooms, to dining - local and international foods, shopping, spa, gym and trainer, pool, one is definitely well provided for in a grand way. Best of all is the soul of the Indian people, as seen in the service and staff going around so effortless, with a wam smile on their faces all the time, as they serve the guests. Special mention is for Sweta, who led us to our room on the first day, and assisted us on the very last day. She was truly wonderful, and would highly recommend her to her superiors for her sincere and efficient service to the guests.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Tony P
Bangkok
Reviewed 2 February 2012

This is the second visit to The Taj Lake Palace. It's always wonderful to return. The experience is very different from one to the next, much of it also have to do with the type of room and the location of the room. Being in an old palace, its hard to get the perfect room every time but the rooms facing the city are so special.
The spa treatment was excellent. The staff was attentive and knew their treatment well.The spa is very basic not grand, given the limited space.
Being at the Lake Palace, is to experience living in an old palace, its charming and unique and can not be compared with the new establishments.

1 Thank GrasipBangkok
Texas
Reviewed 1 February 2012

This review is a little late since we visited at the end of 2011.
The Lake Palace is a very special place to visit and if you have time just relax and enjoy the experience. From the moment you are met at the dock for the short boat ride to the hotel to when you leave it is a quite regal experience. The rooms, food, public areas and pool are wonderful. HOWEVER as with most places in India things can go wrong and you hit a brick wall trying to get them sorted out. Unfortunately I had some urgent business to attend to while there and try as I might I could not get an Internet connection. It was very frustrating dealing with the hotel who basically wanted to blame me or my laptop. They did lend me one of their to prove the Internet was okay BUT IT DID NOT WORK. I know this might seem like a small issue but at the time it was not and the response was, I felt, very patronizing. Yes I am very aware of infrastructure issues in India but this is a very expensive hotel with advertised services and one whose image is beyond reproach, so it was disappointing.

By the way I believe the lake actually dries up during some seasons so do make sure you go when it is full - e.g. at the end of the Monsoon when everything is refreshed.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
5 Thank GE1Texas
Yorkshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 February 2012

Superb old Maharaja's Palace in the middle of lake turned into a luxury hotel. The Taj Hotel group are India's finest and they choose some great properties to turn into hotels. The rooms are oppulent, the staff can't do enough for you and the food is sumptious. Great place to stay in you can afford it.

Room Tip: They're all individual with great lake views ...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple