All reviewsswimming poolcity palacehomemade jamsnice poolsuperior roomfamily hotelstayed here for nightsfriendly hotelgulab baghfirst floorheritage hoteltuk tukthe ground floorbeautiful hotelhome away from homewalkable distancerestaurant staff
Reviewed August 14, 2018

My sister and I stayed here for a week in June and it was the best place we stayed in 5 weeks in Rajasthan. The place has bucket loads of character, the service is great - staff cannot do enough for you - and the food is cheap and fabulous. We had a top floor room with a great view of the fort lit up at night, the pool is a huge bonus and so is the lovely garden area. Felt like home and plan to go back as soon as possible.

• Stayed: June 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed August 9, 2018

This, seriously, is a little gem of a hotel. The rooms are gorgeous, the garden and swimming pool a welcome oasis amidst the interesting chaos of Udaipur and the service excellent. It is very conveniently situated within walking distance of the south entrance to the Palace complex where all the main attractions are. The only downside is that it is situated next to a very busy main road, which makes walking almost impossible and it's an exciting 15 minute tuktuk ride to all the best restaurants and also the centre of town. But at times it's nice to have somewhere calm to escape to in India before going out to brace the mayhem and excitement. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: July 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed August 6, 2018

I stayed in Mahendra Prakash in 2006 and always recommend it to all my friends going to Udaipur. When in 2017 I decided to visit Udaipur again I didn''t even think to stay anywere else, because I wanted a really comfortable stay in a beautiful place (we had a hectic trip in Gujart for 2 weeks), and Mahendra Prakash is the best for that. The property is just beautiful itself, rooms are very atmospheric, very nice maintained, the breakfast is great (and it's accompanied with a live music), the stuff is very helpful and nice, and even the pool is so clean and blue (it's not always like that in Indian hotels, you know). They have a nice massage parlour too (and some charming tortoise on their green lawn). The one thing is that the hotel is not just next to the lake, but it's still close. Would recommend to consider this hotel if you want to have the best value for money in Udaipur

• Stayed: November 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed July 29, 2018 via mobile

My choice of Mahendra Prakash was fairly random so my expectations were in neutral. What a surprise it was, a glorious and charming surprise.
The staff are terrific, doing everything in their power to make your stay successful. Of course, they want you to return, but I felt it went well beyond that and I actually felt part of the family (others felt this as well - we exchanged notes).
The rooms are individual, designed beautifully and dressed with individuality. The paper behind my bed was, when I looked at it carefully, hand-painted gold on cream, perfect. The curtains were ceiling to floor heavy silk with additional light-proof curtains behind them. There was a small dressing room with a very useful clothes horse, a practical item of furniture I haven’t seen for decades.
The garden and pool were immaculate, and how wonderful to be serenaded over breakfast by a santur player.
The Hotel Mahendra Prakash is now part of my schedule when I’m in Rajasthan - I wouldn’t consider staying anywhere else.

Stayed: July 2018, travelled solo
Reviewed July 19, 2018

We stayed here. Gives the haveli traditional feel. However, the bathrooms can be upgraded a bit with better fittings. Generally clean place. The restaurant and kitchen was very accommodating to us with a food allergy. Staff was friendly and helpful and helped us arrange a taxi to Chittorgarh for a day trip. We did not get a chance to use the swimming pool. One other suggestion - more options for breakfast please.
Thank you for a great time.

• Stayed: July 2018, travelled with family