“Calm oasis in Madurai”

Ranked #2 of 55 Hotels in Madurai
Portland, Oregon
“Calm oasis in Madurai”
Reviewed 31 March 2012

Stayed at the Heritage Madurai on my first trip to India, traveling solo. Chose the villa for the plunge pool, and I'm glad I did. A quick dip in the pool cooled me down considerably and made the late March heat of the city bearable. The room was very large, with a separate sitting area and giant open air bathroom with the plunge pool and shower. The room staff was sweet and effective. The room was always clean and sufficiently supplied with towels, coffee, tea and water bottles.

The room was a short walk to reception/pool/restaurant area. Check in was lovely with a welcome sweet lime soda drink and a cool cloth to rub off some of the Madurai dust. The food in the restaurant was excellent, though I preferred my a la carte lunch to the dinner buffet. I just don't eat enough to make a buffet worthwhile. Tried my favorite butter paneer masala here and it was excellent.

The service was very good, but seemed somewhat stilted or awkward in some ways. As a solo traveler, I enjoy having a space to sit out in the night and enjoy some tea and read or think or chat it up with the workers or other travelers. That seemed awkward here - like it was a special request to have tea near the pool, or to sit out and have a cup of tea in the evening at the coffee bar. It wasn't that they would not do it, indeed, they were happy to fulfill my every request. It was just not something that seemed thought about beforehand. I also had some communication difficulties. But, these were my 2nd and 3rd days in India, so MORE than MY FAULT. Like I say, in general the service was excellent. My laundry was taken care of beautifully at a great price, and I had some outfits I had stitched delivered to the hotel with no problems.

Got a lot of dollars changed here, but would have preferred a more convenient ATM option instead of using my precious dollars. In general, you are walled off from the city which has its pluses and minuses, in my view. For a traveler without any experience in India it created kind of an expectation of danger…as if when I walked out of the gates of the hotel something bad was going to happen. If I went back today, I would have ventured out more and felt happy to have a calm, walled off escape if I needed it.

I guess it took me a little while to feel at home in this hotel, but I was a bit sad to leave it behind by the time I left. Its a truly beautiful, historic place with a lot going for it!

Room Tip: The luxury villa - with its own plunge pool - definitely worth it.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank AubreyBaldwin
ManagementHeritage, General Manager at Heritage Madurai, responded to this review, 18 June 2014

Thank you for posting your review on Trip Advisor.

We are happy to know that you had enjoyed your overall stay and also you pleased with facilities & ambiance.

We truly appreciate your kind feedback and look forward to welcoming you back at the resort.

Gopalakrishnan

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (292)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 March 2012

We stayed at the Heritage for 3 nights recently and had a brilliant time. Our room (one of the 'luxury villas') was large, light, comfortable and clean with a large wet room shower and an outside plunge pool. Rooms have safe deposit boxes, TVs , and the usual range of complimentary toileteries. The room had a separate sitting area with a 2nd TV which was fun but which we did not really use!

There are 2 restaurants - a large indoor one and the outised coffe bar. Breakfasts are the standard buffet with eggs and dosas made to order. We ate in the coffee bar and had no trouble in ordering from the a la carte menu both at lunch and dinner and found that food was good on all occassions. The grounds are spacious and well kept with a lovely large swimming pool- great for a cool off after sight seeing. My only note of caution concerns the bar which is accessible via the restaurant or separately from a side entrance. By western tastes it is dark and not too inviting with no outside seating area and appeared to be more used by local people calling in for post work cocktails!

But it was the staff who single out this hotel. All were attentive, courteous and friendly and appeared to be genuine in their wish to help ( either that or their training is exceptionally good -either way it does not matter if the overall expereince is good). A minor problem with the tap was quckly fixed, laundry collected promptly, tea and coffee replenished as necessary. It is invidious to single out any but the coffee bar staff, room and pool attendants were particularly helpful.

We had a great time and would happliy stay there again

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank rosyposy2

Reviewed 13 March 2012

Arrived here in time for the repellant to be sprayed which was a shame. We were part of a tour and were booked into one of the better rooms with your own pool (plunge type) which was a shame as at this time of night it was not possible to take advantage of this or the large pool or sit out due to the insects. VJV might want to reconsider stopping for lunch every day (it's not included in the price) and use the time saved to get to places before it is getting dark.

Unfortunatley even with a slightly later start this was really only a brief stay at the hotel.

The other down side was we were only offered buffett for evening meal, so we ate out and found a nice local restaraunt down the road.

Room was large and spacious as was the bathroom, due to arrival time we did not have much time to take advantage of having a large living room, or again to sit out.

Breakfast was fine mixture of western and Indian, perfectly acceptable.

Hotel is situated on a busy road and even staying in the more expensive rooms you do hear the noise from the traffic. Small shops, including a chemist - especially if you need cream for those bites - and supermarket across the road.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank crossey
liveMadurai, General Manager at Heritage Madurai, responded to this review, 15 March 2012
Dear Guest,

We truly sadden that you couldn’t enjoy our beautiful resort due to arriving late. We have informed your concerns to VJV also.

As you are aware Heritage Madurai, situated in the heart of Madurai is an eco-friendly luxury garden resort designed in an open air concept. However all guest accommodation units are fully enclosed.
Insects are something we can not altogether avoid being a tropical country. We recommend all guests to not leave their windows open past 5pm to avoid the insects being attracted to the light inside your room. In addition, in all rooms and villas, we offer both natural mosquito repellant cream, optional electric mosquito deterrants and mosquito nets..

Thank you for your feedback, we appreciate your comments very much.

We look forward to welcoming you at Heritage Madurai in the near future and take this opportunity to thank you for your patronage and assure you of our best attention at all times.

Yours in Service,
Srinith De Silva
Melbourne, Victoria
Reviewed 2 March 2012

This is an absolutely wonderful place to stay. It’s an amazing experience, living in a sensitively restored historic village. It’s more than simply enjoying rooms in which families connected to the local mill lived during the 1920s under the British Raj because the site is vast and comprises rows of airy, comfortable houses surrounded by large verandas and gardens, spaciously set along straight, quiet, tree lined streets. The property was later converted to the Madurai Club and then turned into the hotel we have today. If you enjoy the enrichment of living in a heritage estate, with sympathetic modernisation, you’ll adore the experience of staying here.

It’s uncrowded with a feeling of space and nature, quite a change from the typically compact city hotel. My husband and I stayed three nights in Room 2202, a smaller suite than the side suites. (We were invited to inspect the suite next to us on the side of our building: it was large and filled with light, but not as interesting in my opinion.) We had a lovely living room, extraordinarily large bathroom (which was very modern), and a private plunge pool as well as a comfortable bedroom. I adored the architectural detail and original decoration, including an amazing fan on the tabletop (see my photo).

I’d love to return one day. We adored this place because it added to our experience of India and its heritage. All the staff members were wonderful, particularly Devi who met us at reception and the quietly spoken gentleman who serviced our room and provided extra water, towels, etc. as requested. Our meals at the restaurant were excellent and affordable – I recommend the Indian style buffet dinners. I particularly enjoyed experiencing some different dishes, such as the beetroot halva – simply lovely.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Joan C

Hereford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 March 2012

After a lot of travelling we were delighted to arrive at this lovely hotel. We especially liked the private plunge pool and the bedroom and bathroom were the most spacious we have ever stayed in. The whole atmosphere was very peaceful and relaxing. We enjoyed eating outside and found the food excellent, in fact the breakfast croissants were better than we had had in Pondicherry. The staff were very pleasant and helpful although they did take an inordinate amount of time preparing our bill. Our only regret was that we couldn't stay longer here.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank rgvwes2n

norway
Reviewed 25 February 2012

We stayed here on the honeymoon package and a wonderful package it was. The villas are absolutely lovely.

The bed was decorated with flowers and we got a lovely chocolate cake on arrival.
We got a lovely setting for our candelight dinner under the tree. it was beautiful. they also arranged a rose petal bath with candlelight around our plunge pool and it was so nice.

The spa is very competitively price and of high quality so i went for several massages there which is recommended.

Their big pool was also nice and we enjoyed swimming there. The plunge pool in the villa has for some reason rather cold water.

The food at the restaurant has room for improvement. it is ok but nothing more.

The receptionists should communicate better. I informed at check in we we would need the car for airport. they called the room day before checkout, my husband didnt rembember the time, so i called back and informed. then when i go to the gym they again ask when we need the car i inform again. And guess what after gym on my way back they ask again..

Normally on high class hotels they look in your passport to see when your birthday is and surpise you with a cake. It was my husbands birthday during our stay but no greetings were given.

Room Tip: stay in the luxury villa you wont regret it!
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank glukos

Holmfirth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 February 2012

The major part of this property is the result of the conversion of what was originally company accommodation, then a British club, into a hotel complex. Some newer rooms and facilities have been added.
The basic rooms are in 2-storey blocks of around 6 units. Each room is very spacious, but rather sparsely equipped and decorated. A few modern touches and modest expenditure could transform them from a rather institutional feel to comfortable accommodation.
I would have rated the hotel averge overall, except for the food, which is remarkably good in choice, presentation and quality. However, the bar is surprisingly poor - it was empty while we were there, and no wonder. Spirits and cocktails are extortionately priced, well above anything we found elsewhere in a trip covering 10 locations, service is indifferent and unskilled, and the overall effect is distinctly unwelcoming. This is a great pity as it undermines what would otherwise be a superb dining experience.
Check out was rather inefficient, too much bustle, too many minor errors, too little customer focus.
With a small amount of management attention this could be a really excellent hotel, but it risks being left behind by some of its competitors.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank wdcw
liveMadurai, General Manager at Heritage Madurai, responded to this review, 22 February 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your praising review of our food which we are really proud of. Although you seemed to enjoy most aspects of your stay, we take our guests' feedback seriously and therefore would like you to know that we have investigated all shortcomings of your stay to help us improve our services!
With regards to our bar prices, In South India, no doubt we do strive to be the best Five Star accommodation available and with the praising guest comments we receive, we have been continuously informed that our pricing is reasonable. We cannot compete with properties in other locations which offer different levels of comfort and overall experience.
We apologise if the staff appeared not in form during your checkout and in the Restaurant, which is not acceptable and this will be brought up with them.
Thank you for sharing your review and the positive aspects of your stay!

I hope to have an opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel again.

Yours in Service,