“Sensational”

Ranked #1 of 145 Hotels in Agra
Sydney, Australia
“Sensational”
Reviewed 28 March 2012

It's hard to imagine a hotel could be better than this. Our 2 night stay was flawless. We were checked in on the balcony (with a magical view of the Taj Mahal) and taken directly to our room. After an overnight train trip and early morning arrival, it was heaven to have a room with THE view not to mention a hot shower! We, of course, ventured out to see the Taj but pretty much spent the rest of the time enjoying the wonderful, colourful hotel. It's stunning - the architecture, the lush gardens and pool, the rooms, the restaurants are all top rate. And did I mention the view?! The Taj Mahal is ever present - as are reminders of it in the architecture, design and decor. And to top it off, the staff were, without exception, amazing. I especially loved the chef inviting us into the kitchen to see the Tandoor oven and to show us how they made parathas. I'd stayed elsewhere in Agra on a previous trip and whilst it was a lovely hotel, it's nowhere close to Amarvillas.

Absolutely worth every $ - don't hesitate to stay here for the ultimate hotel experience.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
AnkusMahajan, General Manager at The Oberoi Amarvilas, responded to this review, 30 March 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay at The Oberoi Amarvilas.

I am delighted to read that your expectations were exceeded. I am so happy to read that you enjoyed your walk in the Indian Kitchen and saw the bread making. I hope that our distinctive service will tempt you to return and stay at one of the many excellent Oberoi Hotels & Resorts in the future.

ankush.mahajan@oberoihotels.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (848)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 26 March 2012

This hotel has some touches of luxury and the property and grounds are quite pretty, but what you are paying for here is definitely the location.

I chose Oberoi Amarvilas for our stay in Agra because I wanted a hotel that would be an oasis of Western comfort in India. We were staying with family for the rest of our India visit, so this would be our small chance to have some extra luxury.

While the hotel did somewhat deliver (sadly I suppose there's no completely blocking pollution or the view of the slums next door), we both left feeling the hotel isn't quite as sure how to cater to Indian guests. (To be fair, I am white, so it's possible they wouldn't have done and said some things if my husband and I were both clearly Indian.) I was amused when told upon check in that I would "obviously" enjoy a cultural performance in the evening. There was also an awful lot of namaste-ing and such, which I found a little uncomfortable. I'm sure just as many, if not more, find that to be charming.

Bright spots, aside from the excellent requisite early morning golf cart service to the Taj, were food-related - the butter chicken there was the best I tasted on this particular visit to India (and we're from Delhi, so that's saying something), and we regularly had tea sent up to the room, as both their Darjeeling and Assam blends were absolutely out-of-this-world fantastic.

The room itself was very attractive, and I enjoyed the hot water and walk-in closet, but paying extra for the Taj view room was really not that worthwhile, especially if they are all similarly appointed. Maybe during monsoons if the air clears up.

Overall... I would only recommend this hotel to people who I knew would not feel much sting from paying the high tariff, as there are probably other less convenient but passable choices.

Room Tip: Skip the Taj view room, and just check it out from the balcony behind the lobby.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank sarahjoy33
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to comment form on your recent stay at The Oberoi Amarvilas.

I am pleased to read that your expectations were mostly met. Your feedback is appreciated and taken most seriously, as it enables us to constantly monitor and improve the care and service we endeavour to provide to our guests.

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 22 March 2012

From the outside, Amarvilas looks like a fortress but from inside it looks like the Hanging Gardens of Babylon.

We were upgraded to a one bedroom suite on the top floor with great views of the Taj.

There were 2 restaurants but we ate at the same restaurant each night. The food was a bit inconsistent. One night everything was great, the next night the preparation was a little off.

Regardless, the service was phenomenal. After our first night, I mentioned to the Concierge that the mattress was a bit too firm for my preference. Within 3 minutes, housekeeping was at our suite with a new, softer mattress!!!

Room Tip: The Amarvilas is the only hotel that offers views of the Taj from every room.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank richard_ridge
AnkusMahajan, General Manager at The Oberoi Amarvilas, responded to this review, 25 March 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking out time to post your reviews on Trip Advisor. I am delighted to learn that your expectations were mostly exceeded except the food which you found was a bit inconsistent.

It has been my pleasure to convey your compliments to all members of the team. Positive recognition is a tremendous source of inspiration to our exemplary staff and I thank you for your kind comments.

Reviewed 16 March 2012

Having just arrived in Agra after staying at the Taj Mahal in Mumbai and the Rambagh in Jaipur, it was a real let down. Location of hotel is spectacular with view from room of Taj Mahal, however panning such a price, once would expect a fantactistic service such as I was receiving over the past week at the Taj hotels. Waiters talking to each other whilst I kept constantly calling them for attention. It was just like being in a normal tourist resort, not for what I was paying!!!! One night, for one person including a simple dinner with not wine, was over $1,000!!! One would expect better from Oberoi, having had excellent service from Oberoi in Mumbai a year heartier! Definitely not same standard as the Mumbai Oberoi!!!

• Stayed March 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking out time to give us feedback. It is with regret that I note your disappointment with numerous aspects of our service, for which I apoligise.

Your feedback is appreciated and taken most seriously, as it enables us to constantly monitor and improve the care and service we endeavour to provide to our guests and and I hope you will allow us the opportunity to make amends and restore your faith in The Oberoi Amarvilas.

Esher, England
Reviewed 16 March 2012

Having seen all the reviews we wondered if it could really be as good as claimed, but we were in no way disappointed. Our room commanded a superb view of the Taj Mahal (see pictures), five minutes away by golf buggy/foot. Service and facilities at the hotel were all excellent. Traditional dance and music every evening on roof of pool terrace, visible from the rooms. Altogether a wonderful experience.

Room Tip: All rooms have view of Taj, but the higher the better, and even better with a balcony.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank pra51
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking out time to write about us on Trip Advisor. I am delighted to hear that you had a fantastic stay at the resort.

texas
Reviewed 16 March 2012

What could be wrong about looking out of your balcony and seeing the Taj!!! Trully a great hotel and we were greeted by name everytime we came back. Good was good, fruit in the room, plenty of linens and towels and everything was great

Room Tip: All rooms look out at the Taj
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking out time to post your comments on Trip Advisor after your recent stay at The Oberoi Amarvilas. I am delighted to read that you had a wonderfult time at the resort.

I will be most happy to share your feedback with all members of the team and look forward to welcoming you back to the Oberoi Amarvilas.

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 March 2012

We took a train from Delhi (Nizamuddin station) to Agra,approximately 3hours.It wasn't like the recent advert advertising Indian beer,but it was an interesting experience taking our party of 6 out of the protective bubble of chauffeur driven cars.Arriving at Agra station,India and all its smells hits you full on,but then we were whisked away to the Oberoi by the pre arranged pick up;back in our bubble,given iced bottled water and flannels to wipe our weary brows.
If you are planing that once in a lifetime trip to see the Taj,then save up and stay at the Oberoi.It really is in a league of its own.The staff were friendly,helpful and courteous and they have a policy of centralised tipping which really is a massive plus.The hotel interior is elegant and tasteful, the food excellent (loved the samosas on the buffet lunch) The gardens and pool area are delightful.
The icing on the cake has to be the views of the Taj from the reception,lounge,bedrooms and balconies
We stayed on February 14th and the hotel was decked out with red roses.Although we only stayed one night we arrived 1pm and didn't leave until 6pm the following day.Remember to time your stay as there can be heavy mists around in February and you really don't want to miss that view!

Room Tip: Bed in room facing the view of the Taj
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Dawn C
AnkusMahajan, General Manager at The Oberoi Amarvilas, responded to this review, 15 March 2012
Dear Guest,

I am delighted to read that your expectations were exceeded. Your detailed comments are appreciated as it enables us to constantly monitor and improve the care and service we endeavour to provide to our guests.

I thank you for your kind comments.I hope that our distinctive service will tempt you to return and stay at one of the many excellent Oberoi Hotels & Resorts in the future.

Warm Regards