New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Singapore, Singapore
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 41 helpful votes
“MUST visit place in Agra”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2008

You must really visit Taj in the early morning or before 8.30am max, or else there will be exodus of people coming in in tour groups! I thought we were late when we reached there at about 7.30am (with young kids!) but luckily not many people and we had a great time taking the tanga(horse cart) to reach the entrance before the 'real' entrance!! It cost Rs100 for the REALLY short ride but worth the experience especially when seeing the happy faces on my kids.
We took a stroller and a backpack for my toddler's stuff (bottles, water, milk powder, disposable diapers, wet tissues and change of clothes), the guard let us take everything except the backpack so left it in the locker. We went in through the eastern gate. There was no lines at all, we saw some people getting out already!
There was scaffolding on one side of the building, right before getting into the Taj. And also on one side of the Taj building itself.
Once you walk in, the Taj looks as if it was floating on the background. Some sort like it was cut n paste to put there and don't really fit into the surroundings. It was very white in color and misty but as you walk nearer and nearer it will get clearer.
There was a guy saying that he worked there and not a guide and kept on telling us this and that but we just ignored him due to my hubby's experience with 'worker' in tourist attractions!
You will have to take out your shoes and put them in the counter right before taking the steps. They do provide shoe cover, which is included in the ticket( plus a bottle of water but we never get ours!) but we felt that is should be appropriate and respectful to take off our shoes at these sacred places.
The architecture is really amazing.
On the way back we took the electric bus, guess it should be free but we just paid the guy Rs50.
I just felt that the entrance fee is way too high for the kind of maintenance and conservation(if you can say that) that you see in this city. The town is just too chaotic and does not do justice to Taj Mahal. Or maybe this the charm of it all!
Eventhough the Taj Mahal didn't give me the WOW & goosebumps but one should really visit it in their lifetime if you can, after all, it is one of the seven wonders of the world! I remember someone in the forum said that anybody can do Germany, Poland, England, etc but NOT INDIA! and I think it is very true!

8 Thank baecc

• Turkish first
Shoeburyness, United Kingdom
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 55 helpful votes
“St Valentines Day Treat”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 January 2008

Visited the Taj Mahal with my wife Susan on St Valentines Day 2007 (14th Feb), it is without doubt one of the most fantastic sites that we have ever seen.

As soon as you walk through the archway to the entrance you become totaly captivated from the firs moment you see the Taj Mahal sitting in the sun, you could be forgiven for thinking that this ultimate sign of love could be made of wax and would melt away if you take your eyes off it.

If you vist India make sure you take the time to visit this fantasic sight.

6 Thank Dslaughts
Perth, Western Australia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“7 wonders of the world: Taj Mahal”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 December 2007

After 5 trips to India and alot of tourists telling me that it wasnt worth the money (US$25), I finally threw caution to the wind and went to visit the most famous monument to love ever built. It was worth it.

From the moment you step through the outer courtyard and get your first glimpse of the infinity pools and the silhouette of the Taj you are dumbstruck by the magnificence of its perfection. The Moghul architecture is symmetrical in every way and the qualtiy of the workmanship beyond compare. The landscaping has been returned to the original condition as designed by Shah Jahan and are also about the cleanest gardens I have seen in India.

Renting a guide makes sense and enhances the experience, but can be offset by the annoyance of the sheer number of them touting for business. Dont make the mistake of buying from the souvenir shops inside the grounds as costs are horrendous. I had heard about the long queues that start at sunrise and continue through the day, but I arrived with the train from Delhi at about 10am and waited a total of about 5 minutes to get through security. Sharp items are removed, as there are obviously a number of louts who feel that no place is holy enough to stop them immortalising their stay with a little creative graffitti.

Anyway, sit back, enjoy the view and soak up the history, the beauty and the sheer simplicity that make this place world famous and something to remember until you die.

8 Thank Tania69
Manchester
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Speachless”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 November 2007

Nothing can prepare you for when you emerge through the gate and see the Taj Mahal at the end of that long water feature. It is just stunning. We had mixed experiences in India, but, no matter what you think of the country and the culture this just makes the whole visit worth while. See it and die!

The standard photo oportunities are to hold it "In the palm of your hand" from the excellent viewpoint at Agra Fort, or 'lift the teapot lid'. Just watch where the guides take people for the best positions to get the backdrop right.

8 Thank SteveFromManchester
Manchester
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 43 helpful votes
“The beautiful Taj Mahal.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2007

There are few buildings that evoke such a depth of feeling. Built as an expression of the love that Shah Jahan held for his second wife, Mumptaz Mahal, the beauty of the mausoleum has withstood time and is a true wonder.

For those unfamiliar with the history, Jahan had ten wives. He favoured Mumtaz above all. She was 20 when they married in 1612. She gave birth to 14 children, but died following the delivery of the 14th child. She was only 39. While on her death-bed she asked Jahan for a promise. She asked that he build a monument befitting of the love that they held for each other.

Shah Jahan almost bankrupted his empire. The building took 17 years to complete and is commonly regarded as one of the best examples of Islamic art of all time. A masterpiece.

Jahan died in January 1666 at the age of 78. His remains were laid to rest at the side of his second wife within the Taj Mahal.

The Taj Mahal is much bigger than I imagined. The building centres on the resting place of Mumtaz and Jahan. But the Taj Mahal is itself at the centre of a number of buildings, including a Mosque. The ornate gardens are well maintained and, at the time of my visit, were crowded with visitors, mainly from within India.

The marble floor of the walkway around the Taj Mahal is quite slippy, well polished by the bare feet of the many visitors who have gone before me. I found the stairway to the Taj Mahal to be quite unnerving. It was hard to hold my footing whilst being pressed up the stairs by the crowds wanting to see inside the mausoleum. When I broke free of the flow of people I decided not to join the queue by the entrance and walked to the back of the building to view the Yamuna River. By doing this I was able to see that there was no restriction from walking in by the "back door" and consequently saved a lot of time. Though, I doubt that I did the right thing.

A memory that I took away from my visit was of a beautiful Indian lady of about 20 years of age. Whilst I was taking photographs of the Taj, she came up to me and asked that I take a photo of her. After showing her the photo, we spoke for some. She introduced me to her close and extended family. I lost count of the relations who I shook hands with. Though, I could not take up the invitation to join them for a meal at their home....in Gujarat State....even though they were strict vegetarians.

I got good value for my 750 rupee admission fee and would recommend the Taj Mahal to any romaticly inclined person such as myself, but if yopu have a loving partner, bring her too.

8 Thank Vegievan