“good position only redeeming attribute”
Review of Hotel Sheela Inn

Hotel Sheela Inn
Ranked #106 of 145 Hotels in Agra
Sydney, Australia
“good position only redeeming attribute”
Reviewed 15 January 2011

Not clean, basic, cold showers. Thank goodness I has a sleeping bag with me as the sheets were not clean. open windows in the bathroom to the adjoining bathroom at ceiling level could hear the room next door.

• Stayed December 2010

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Glasgow
Reviewed 11 January 2011

The Sheela Inn isn't a bad place to stay but it isn't a great place to stay either. Location wise, it's great. Only a 15 minute walk/5 minute rickshaw ride away from the Taj Mahal, and Taj Ganj area, which is great for food and rooftop restaurants that have a view of the Taj.
My room was large and from what I could tell, clean. I also had a window that opened and let in daylight which I found to be a luxury in an Indian city! The bathroom, however, was not as clean. It was infested with bugs and I had no hot water. The staff kindly brought up buckets of hot water for me when I informed them of this, and this was done very quickly. I only ventured to the rooftop restaurant once but I was bothered by 2 young boys who worked there, and the view was not as good as what some of the restaurants nearer the Taj South Gate offered.
Overall, this is a great place to stay for a couple of nights, especially if you are visiting Agra to see the Taj Mahal and Agra Fort. However it is very overpriced. I paid Rs700 for one person in a twin room - it really was not worth this amount.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled solo
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed 8 January 2011

We arrived in Agra when the Russian President was at the Taj Mahal. Sheela Inn is within the gates of Taj and so security had it all closed off. Therefore we could not check into our hotel until the afternoon. When we went to check in we explained we couldn't get there earlier because security had closed the area. The Hotel said bad luck, we gave your room away and you've lost your deposit. It didn't matter to them that the men with guns said we were not allowed into the area to check in. Disgusted at their handling of the matter.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank sarahsmith13

Travellers are raving about these Agra hotels

Reviewed 2 December 2010

For 800 rupees we got a room that wasn't worth half that. Dirty floors, bad shower and cold blankets. The Sheela hotel might be good, this place is not. Rough guide should remove it asap. The highlight of our stay was leaving the hotel for the day!

• Stayed December 2010
1 Thank jamesturn
Toronto
Reviewed 10 April 2010

The room was very small and dark. Bed sheets were dirty as well. I had originally booked the Hotel Sheela (from what I've heard it's supposed to be nicer and be closer to the Taj Mahal) but there was some confusion and our auto rick shaw driver dropped us here. I was too sick with Delhi belly to argue (just arrived in time to make a bee line to the toilet).

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
Allahabad
Reviewed 28 March 2010

It's a very decent hotel conveniently located close to the East Gate of the Taj Mahal. It is near Shilpgram from where one has to buy tickts for the Taj. Rooms are clean and well-maintained. Staff is friendly and courteous. Roof-top restaurant is a great help for early morning b'fast or a dinner after a tiring day trip.

Very good value for money.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with family
UK
Reviewed 27 March 2010

I arrived at the hotel feeling unwell and within a short time developed a high fever. I had little cash on me, not having been able to change my travellers cheques as i had planned. The manager lent me some money and called someone to take me in an auto rickshaw to the hospital. The driver was incredibly helpful and stayed with me throughout, fetching water and translating information for me and the doctors. The hotel staff arranged for drinks and food to be brought to my room when I needed it. I was very grateful for the kindness of the manager in helping me when I was sick.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled solo