Hotel Taj Plaza
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Pool
View Hotel
All reviewsvip roadbudget hotelticket officewalking distancetaj facing roomscomfortable staygatekm
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 29 March 2012

We arrived at Taj Plaza and were able to stay 4 nights without a pre-booked room. A friend was very sick and the tour operator drove him to the hospital and stayed with him until everything was okay. He also drove me to visit my friend a few times the next day. The tour operator also booked trains for us for our next few rides. The staff at the Taj Plaza could not do enough to help us and make sure we had everything we needed. The rooms were very clean and large. I agree with the previous comments about the bathrooms needing some cleaning, but there was HOT WATER!!! For the price, the Taj Plaza is well worth it. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
9  Thank o0mj0o
Reviewed 25 March 2012

Although the rooms were kind of funky but for the cheap price not a big deal.
Its on the quiet side of town because next door is one of the most expensive hotels in India. WARNING!!!! Do not believe any of the motor rick shaw drivers that park out in front of the hotel. They are all liars...

Room Tip: watch for ants in the bed
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
10  Thank seamillfarmcom
Reviewed 12 March 2012

WiFi wasn't working, nor the Card machine so we had to pay with cash. The 'Business Centre' has 3 computers which were available for the same price as the hourly WiFi charge (50 rupees?) Reception had rather a 'no worries' attitude...
Restaurant always had change, unusually for India.
Hotel drivers were reliable, some staff had difficulty understanding English but were friendly and helpful.
Plenty of wardrobe space. 'Wet Room' was a bit awkward - huge surround to sink and had to remember to take toilet rolls out before showering - but at least they provided same... No way of drying the floor after showering and had to ask for fresh towels, but they arrived promptly.
Handy Tourist office nearby provided transport, shoe covers, water and entrance to Taj for 750 rupees - but abandon you at the mercy of touts on the final approach to the Taj...

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Carolyn N
Reviewed 4 March 2012

We prearranged a pick up from the train station which worked really well. The hotel is in a good location if you are visiting the Taj Mahal as it is walking distance. We booked a Taj view room and had a great view as promised. The rooftop restaurant also has a view of the Taj,

The room was dirty - the floor was very dusty and had rubbish including a used cotton bud on it, and the bedding did not feel clean. The shower was literally a basic shower head on the wall of the bathroom with no shower cubicle. The staff were not very helpful or friendly. The hotel was noisy at night due to location as it is on a road, and there are a lot of dogs barking.

We did not eat in the restaurant as planned for the view, as the overall cleanliness made us wonder about the kitchen.

Room Tip: Pay extra for a Taj View room.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Zestfortravel
Reviewed 2 March 2012

We are long term travelers with basic needs - general level of cleanliness and enough space for our (minimal) stuff. Our room was plenty spacious. The cleanliness was debatable. The walls in the bathroom had lots of little bugs crawling all over. The tile was able to disguise dirtiness.

The wall in the bathroom went right into another bathroom, which is common in India...but the other room had like four people staying there. We called for hot water. It didn't come on after the supposed 15min. We called again. One shower had hot water. The next shower started cold...just as it was about to get hot the room next door started showering and my shower turned to a drizzle. I had to clean close to the gross walls to rinse my hair and continue bathing since I had started the process.

Bed was comfortable. There is a table and chairs as well as a few other surfaces to set stuff on, which was nice. We also had a TV. They were supposed to have wifi, but supposedly a monkey ate the cable. Does that even make sense?

When we arrived, two guys carried up our two tiny backpacks (I can walk hours carrying that thing, and it is carry-on compatible...meaning it is not big and did not warrant two men for two bags). As the first guy walked into the room he flipped a switch. They dropped the bags, walked to the doorway, and stared at us. We literally had no choice but to tip them both. So awkward. After we tipped, the guy showed us how to flip a switch to control the fan. WTF. Every time I came downstairs the luggage guys asked if I was checking out. Just because I'm downstairs means I am checking out? Did they need tips that badly?

The restaurant downstairs was good and well-priced. The restaurant upstairs was rarely open. One time I went downstairs to order chai. I asked if it was ok if I take the tea upstairs. They said I should go on back up to the roof, and they would bring it up. The tea never came.

One member from our crew spent about 15 minutes discussing with the front desk men about a city tour in their hotel car. The guy from our group came to tell us and confirm if the price was ok. We went to the desk maybe 15 minutes later to confirm we wanted to do the tour, and they said the car was being used. Um, why did you even waste our time??

The view from the roof is nice, but there are better views. They did a good job holding our luggage all day on our last day in town...but that really just means they didn't let it get stolen.

The location is good and bad. The good is that the street it is on is blocked to protect the Taj, which means no honking or craziness. Also good is that it is walkable to the Taj. The bad is that it isn't in a main part of town...there isn't so much around (relatively speaking).

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple