“Stunning Views” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #41 of 75 Hotels in Varanasi
Sydney, Australia
“Stunning Views”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2012

I had two nights at this guest house which goes by two names; Palace on the Steps and Ajay Guest House. I caught a prepaid taxi from the airport which took just under an hour. Although the distance isn’t far geographically, the traffic in the city centre is horrific even by Indian standards. The driver couldn’t get me close to the hotel and I soon worked out why; it is down narrow winding alleyways and I would not have found it without the help of the locals which of course wasn’t free, but expected.
I had booked the large turret room on the ground floor and this is the room I had, to my relief. Both the room and bathroom were large, and it had it’s own a/c unit which seemed to have a mind of it’s own at times. The power was a bit intermittent, mainly around 10pm but always came straight back on.I didn’t use the restaurant.
The thing that really makes this lodging stand out is the view. Yes, it is a very narrow balcony but the view is simply stunning looking up and down the Ganga (Ganges). At the base of the hotel are boats which can be hired for the sunrise trip up and down the river.
I am not really into Indian food and having not eaten a lot decided to head back out to the Gateway hotel for a substantial western style dinner. It was around half an hour or more away by tuk tuk and whilst very nice, made me realise just how convenient my hotel was to everything.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
4 Thank NX622

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
france
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2012

Very nice and quiet place.
I meet Lalit, un really nice young man how helps me to visit the city and respect all my demands. It,s because of Lalit that I enjoy so much Vanarasi and I what to be back. As a professionnal, witz a lot of responsabilities, Lalit gave me so much.

Je recommande cet hotel ou il fait bon vivre et surtout, faites appel a Lalit, sa sincerite et son honnetete, sa gentillesse sont grandioses pour vous faire aimer Vanarasi.

Wish you the best with Lalit.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
Toronto, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2012

The whole room and the few pieces of battered furniture could use a major hose down, except there was no water...hot or cold! Grimy, grungy, stained, cracked and peeling, our room had it all! Oh, and the view, well the balcony was barely 2feet wide. Still, it would have been great except the wire mesh that was meant to keep out the mosquitoes was so dirty, torn and mangled that it actually managed to block our view! Stay away. There are alternatives on the Gange in every price range.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank ritajeff

Travellers are raving about these Varanasi hotels

Buenos Aires
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2012

I completely recomend this Hotel and his excelent views to Ganges River.
Very clean, and very good attention of his managger, you will spend a nice time here.
Also, it's place is perfect, because you are just 1 block from where the ceremony is make.
I will recomend all my friends, and I will be here next year without any dough!
Thanks for all!

Room Tip: For single travellers Room 101 is the BEST!!
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
Brampton, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2012

My experience thus far at Ajay's Guest house has been quite pleasant so far. The staff are friendly and actually seem to care about their guests. RC Singh is a very kind man and took the time to converse with me. The rooftop restaurant had excellent food! And as everyone else seemed to mention, the views are incredible. I have yet to see the sun rise, but I'm sure it will be beautiful. I've had better rooms but I can't complain at all. As long as you don't mind the nature surrounding you (newts along the hallways, monkeys on the rooftop, and the occasional ant in the room -nothing a little spray can't cure) you'll enjoy your stay.
There is also the option for guides to take you around the town for the day.

Room Tip: Select a room with a river view.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank Dcomeau
Brooklyn, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 March 2012

Pros: views of the Ganges, two ghats away from one of the main ghats, Dasaswamedh; the restaurant/cage on the roof-- good, basic food and beer while watching the river and the monkeys. Cons: price of the room-- because of my single traveller status, I was assigned a small room but paid for a much pricier one when I booked through agoda. Still, I can't complain too much since what I got to witness every morning and every evening on my balcony was exactly what I came to Varanasi for. Also, credit should be given to management for arranging pick up and drop off to the airport in a timely, organized fashion.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank Jasonides
Canton of Zurich, Switzerland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2012

The problem with Ajay is hat they don't seem to be sincere. I had booked a Maharaja room through Agoda, wrote 2 emails and even called to request a room with a view, which they confirmed. But when we arrived we were shown a stuffy little room at the back without a river view. When we pointed out we had booked a Maharaja room type they replied that ALL rooms are Maharaja since they call this the Maharaja tower. Only after a lengthy argument we were given a room with a view.
Yes, the view was great, like everybody said, but we only could enjoy it from inside and not from the small balcony. The balcony door could not be closed from outside and there was a risk that the many monkeys around would slip into the room and raid the bags.
Room and bathroom was clean enough but the room was furnished totally inadequately. There was no chair or rack to put any cloth or suitcase, no shelf in the bathroom to but a toiletry bag, very inconvenient. At least there was a water boiler (geysir) that worked and ensured hot water when we wanted but I heard another guest complain that she had no hot water for 2 days and nothing was repaired.
It looks Ajay only has a few good rooms and lives off the good reviews of those lucky guests who get them, the rest seem to be problem rooms. I think the whole property was once the Palace on Steps then they split up into Ajay and Elena Guest House which have separate receptions and occupy different parts of the old palace. This may explain why so many names for the same place. If you are lucky to "draw" a room with a view you may be satisfied and accept some inconvenience for the location and view. It is not worth the high room charge but as long as the competition is equally bad, they probably are not motivated to improve.

Room Tip: If you pre-book get a confirmation in writing that you expect a room with a view. Good luck.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple