“Designer chic with a heart”
Review of The Bale

The Bale
Ranked #12 of 54 Hotels in Nusa Dua
Reviewed 2 January 2008

The Bale; what can you write about a hotel that goes out of their way to give you the most personalized holiday you could dream of. Nothing was too much trouble. We arrived with high expectations and were not disappointed. The minimalist architecture felt a little to minimalist but the staff really seamed happy to be working there and this provided the warmth that the buildings lacked. The professionalism was first class and the Villas are designed to provide a small private piece of paradise. The food really is as good as all the guide books say but without all the pretension of a 5 star restaurant.

The Bale also has a beach area. There is a courtesy car that will take you whenever you want, walk (15 mins) or just borrow a mountain bike. The team at the Bale arranged a mountain bike trip for us that was exactly to our requests and also provided information about their favorites beaches that were on the route. Many of these were not on the tourist maps.

This is a place of relaxation and peace, if you want a night life then make use of the car service and take a trip to Kuta. The major hotels are all located down the road and have a restaurant area. This is not 5 star eating but mass production restaurants that serve nice food at expensive prices. It is however packed with all the shops you could want so is an alternative way to spend an evening there.

Having been to both Nusa Dua and the Kuta area I would return to the Bale without hesitation and travel to Kuta in the evenings. The service of the hotel truly deserves it's reputation as one of the small leading hotels in the world!

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 15 December 2007

The Bale is one of the most beautiful and tranquil hotels I have ever stayed in. I travel for work and Bali was no exeception...I was here to attend the UN climate change conference, and because I decided late, no room was to be had in the 5 hotel conference site. My office booked me at the Bale, about 5-10 minutes away, and this was the very best thing that ever happened to me.

The pleasure began on arrival when I was picked up in the hotel's distinctive gold SUV and whisked away out of the airport heat and noise after being handed a chilled towel and a cold bottle of water. The drive was a short 20 minuteseven with conference traffic.

On arrival,check in was handled in my Pavilion and was made simple and charming by also inviting me to chose scented soaps, bath salts and bath oils as well as scented oil for my diffuser. And yes, the Bales or pavilions are every bit as beautiful as they look on the web site. The staff is incredible, and address you by name and you feel at home very very quickly. You DO recieve a welcome masage and USE IT AS SOON AS YOU ARRIVE. You need it. The Spa is incredible!!! Bliss...

Do not bother to bring slippers if you have medium feet, the room has along with bathrobes or even body lotion, shampoo and conditioner - they are provided and are incredible! I know, I know, I am repeating incredible....

Breakfast is incredible and have it in your room sometimes( at no extra charge) and in the beautiful Faces restaurant - it is included in your room rate. The fresh fruit placed in your room every day and the always magically full cookie jar are fabulous as are the mini bar, daybed and private plunge pool.

About the steps - yes, they are quite a few - but you will need the exercise anyway after a day or so and if you really really are lazy, you can ask to be taken up and down via golf cart on the winding side paths ( how did you think your luggage was taken to your pavilion?? Walking the paths is also a good option for those with sore knees or other complaints.

A few lines about the beach. This hotel is not on the beach. Big deal - so what. A car will whisk you away on demand and the Bale Beach Club aatendants on Geger Beach spoil you rotten, with beach towels, chairs and umbrellas, chilled towels, cold bottled water, body mist, sun block and after sun lotion. The local Koperasi runs a great little warung and the food and beer/drink can be charged to your room, and massages are on offer ( take cash for that). And the beach is impeccably clean and beautiful. Pay no attention to what has been said before. The sand is a little "sinky" no, NOT STINKY - overly soft, but just fine once you get used to it. And not at all dirty. And the water is fine and do go see the reef on a glass bottomed boat ( take cash for that too). The beacjh is quite long and great for exercising, but who'd want to do that?? It is overlloked by the loliest little cliff top temple, Puri Geger and so is quite possibly blessed! What more could you ask for?

I spent a few hours regretting that my wonderful guy was not with me and then decided this was my chance for a solo honeymoon - and that is EXACTLY what I had...I fell in love with me again and I cannot wait to return to the Bale with my guy - but this was just for me!

Lisa and all the staff, butlers, waiters all were amazing and Lisa spoiled me incredibly ( you know what you did!) (Para Lisa, quiero decir muchas gracias de tu tocayo Belicena). Again, to all of you, Terima Kasih! I will return.

• Stayed: December 2005, travelled on business
4  Thank Irieas
Reviewed 30 October 2007

We recently stayed at The Bale during the second half of our Bali trip. The first half was spent at a private villa in Seminyak. We were on a mission this trip scouting for venues for a private event and therefore spent most of the first few days of our trip zooming around Bali. By the time we arrived at The Bale, we were totally exhausted and what a haven it was for the weary traveller!

The Bale is nothing short of beautiful with minimalistic, elegant modern architecture and interior design. The staff were very polite and did everything they could to make our stay a very comfortable one. The actual check in was done in our pavilion by the butler and over in 5 minutes. We were then left alone to enjoy the place.

The villa itself is big and spacious and the architects had thoughtfully designed it such that the bathroom opens out into the pool. We had previously stayed at other pool villas and it was always a bit untidy having to trudge through the bedroom after getting out from the pool in order to get to the bathroom.

Our package came with daily breakfast which we could choose to either enjoy in our villa or the restaurant. It was ala carte, which meant you could order anything and everything from the menu. I thoroughly enjoyed the local cuisine and had that every day for breakfast.

We also had dinner once at the restaurant. For the service and the quality, I do not think it is too expensive. Naturally, a much cheaper meal can be had at nearby Nusa Dua but the experience was worth it. Staff addressed us by name and their service was discreet and polite and the presentation of the food was excellent. The food itself was very good.

On another day, we arranged for a candlelight dinner in our pavilion. We had tea at the restaurant and in the thirty minutes we were away, the staff had laid out all the candle lights and flowers for our dinner! Dinner itself was a delightful experience.

We also had massages every single day of our stay there as it came with the package. The spa is, like the rest of the hotel, beautiful. The rooms were big, some with bathtubs which can fit 3 people, and others with jacuzzis and steam rooms. The massages were also excellent, with the exception of the hot crystal therapy which we felt did not do much for our aching backs. The spa menu was very comprehensive, and even had options like hypnotherapy.

The Bale is rather conveniently located, about a few minutes' drive from the Nusa Dua shopping areas. They also provide free transfers to and from Nusa Dua.

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay in The Bale and would highly recommend it as a honeymoon destination or just a place to relax and unwind.

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Snowrose
Reviewed 1 October 2007

Highly recommend the Bale. It is right next door to the Aman Nusa, but having visited both we were glad with havnig chosen the smaller property which felt so much more personal and welcoming. There were only about 20 rooms when we were there, but we saw that another 10 or so were in the pipeline - which were going to be even better than the rooms which we stayed in. The facilities are not vast, gym is basic and there is only one restaurant - but bear in mind that there are only 20 rooms and that you have huge private villas with your own pool, garden, outdoor day bed and so on that it is the kind of place you go for seclusion and privacy - it was the first week of our honeymoon so just perfect!

An especially nice touch was that you can breakfast in your villa at no extra charge - I guess it makes sense because the place doesn't have the numbers for a buffet. The only down-side was the beach, a 3 min drive away and a little bit cramped.

The staff couldn't do enough for you - thoroughly helpful.

Do think though if Nusa Dua is where you would like to go - there was much life in places like Jimbaran and Seminyak.

Stayed: April 2007
2  Thank karimv
Reviewed 21 June 2007

We stayed at The Bale last June as a romantic getaway to start off our summer vacation. We booked through our travel agent and were shown a couple of small pictures of the hotel beforehand. From the pictures we thought the style of the hotel would be too urban for our liking, but soon as we arrived we found the hotel's design to be minimalistic/contemporary in design yet with great attention to detail. We liked the suite's layout and atmosphere, very bright outside but calm inside. I think every suite at the hotel has a small pool (not a just plunge pool) and an awesome, transparent-roofed day bed. I believe we spent most of the time outside of our room just lying on the day bed enjoying the cool ocean breeze.

Being a hotel junkie myself I like to try different hotels when traveling, even on the same trip, so I rarely stay at the same hotel repeatedly unless it's for business purpose. I am currently planning another trip to Bali for this year, and I was very tempted to call up The Bale again to see if they have vacancy. The overall experience made me wants to stay there again.

The Bale is definitely a place to remember. Even after one year, the wow factor is still there every time we look at the pictures we took.. Anyone planning a trip to Bali or particularly looking to stay in the Nusa Dua area should definitely give it a try (for at least two nights, so you can have one full 24-hour day to enjoy the wonderful premise and the great service). Highly recommended

• Stayed: June 2006, travelled as a couple
3  Thank dtwl
Reviewed 7 February 2007

We spent our honeymoon at this small yet refined hotel, because it had to be Bali, and the Bale is as good as it gets.

What we liked:
- Secluded villas provide pure privacy. Very relaxing.
- Great daybed and small private pool
- Friendly Service
- No kids, no crowds = no noise. Very quiet indeed.
- Very delicious breakfast, available in-room
- Simple yet classy architecture. No pseudo-luxurious tacky stuff.
- Free car transport within Nusa Dua (to restaurants, etc.)
- Stereo with nice music is provided
- Library with internet access available
- Check-in/out in the room
- Lovely barbecue in your own garden available

What's not so nice:
- The beach is far away, and not so nice. Not worthwhile going.
- The location is a bit far away from the center of nusa dua
- The restaurant is nice, but somewhat too empty to enjoy.
- Fairly high price for Balinese standards, but worth it.
- No kids under 16 allowed (now that we have a daughter)

Conclusion:
A classy and refined, clean and well maintained, friendly and understated resort we wouldn't mind being trapped in for another while. Not recommended for the overly active crowd or those that like hanging out at the hotel bar.

• Stayed: June 2004, travelled as a couple
5  Thank kotarok
Reviewed 15 January 2007

Could not disagree more with one of the other reviewers. The staff were FANTASTIC - nothing was too much trouble, everyone knew our names and used them, and learnt what we liked and how we liked it. It was the least stressful holiday experience, solely due to the staff. The restaurant menu was quite limited while we were there, but it wasn't a problem, we told the chef what sort of food we liked and he cooked something different for us. Jose, the manager was great, did an itinerary for us for a one day island tour, and arranged for us to visit the Four Seasons at Sayan and Uma at Ubud, just so we could see some other hotels if we wanted to return to Bali another year. Also gave us a lot of suggestions for eating outside the hotel. The only criticism I had, and it was minor, was that some of the furnishings were a bit tired (the roman blinds were wonky!) and there was no mosquito net. We like minimalist, so were happy with the design, if your tastes are for the more opulent surroundings, you will be disappointed. Would go back - and we rarely say that.

• Stayed: September 2006, travelled as a couple