“A good villa, recommend to all”
Review of The Bale

The Bale
Ranked #15 of 54 Hotels in Nusa Dua
Reviewed 29 January 2013

I am a traveler from Hong Kong, and stay in The Bale from 24/1 to 27/1/2013 for my honeymoon trip....I lived in the Villa type room...the romantic room...a nice private swimming pool.....

For common area, the design is simple, but very attractive... I like simple..and natural...I like the open restaurant.....good view to the common swimming pool...

For the breakfast, it is not a buffet type but ..you can select the food in the menu......and eat until your stomach is full....the food is prepared immediately after you order.. it is really good...

For the private beach, it is excellent...just within 5 minutes by hotel car........It is a designated area for the The Bale....and a staff from The Bale to serve you..

That's all ...that's why I chose The Bale......

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
Luke H, General Manager at The Bale, responded to this reviewResponded 31 January 2013

Dear GaryN, thank you for visiting us from Hong Kong and for choosing us to celebrate your special occasion. Given our environment being adults only (or 16+yrs) and our product, which is designed predominantly for couples we are the perfect location for a romantic getaway or in particular to spend a honeymoon. The rooms are private and romantic as you know and even when full occupancy, given the careful design you will still feel like you are the only guests with us. Breakfast is wonderful as it is A la Carte so everything is prepared fresh from the menu. The other advantage is that all or guests can dine in the Faces restaurant for breakfast by the pool or the privacy of your own villa, which is wonderful for honeymooners and/or late risers. Thank you for the photos you have posted which is also a wonderful impression of our product from real guests, not always professional photographers. I hope we can welcome you or your friends next year, perhaps for Chinese New Year and if I can assist feel free to liaise with me directly. Kind regards - Luke Harley

Reviewed 29 January 2013

We recently stayed at The Bale over the New Year period and enjoyed 6 days of relaxation and pampering. We loved the design of the hotel and were very impressed with the quality of service and hospitality offered by General Manager Luke and his team.

Our pavilion was absolutely stunning, we loved our private pool and outdoor area with the daybed – it was so peaceful and far exceeded our expectations.

The restaurant Faces is superb and a special mention should be made of head chef Hamish, an absolute gem. He was very friendly and gave us great tips about Bali and recommendations of things to try while we were there. We enjoyed all of our meals at Faces, especially the New Year’s Eve dinner - the staff put in a lot of effort to ensure it was a very special night which we will never forget.

We enjoyed all of our breakfasts which were served in our pavilion by our butler. We ate almost all of our meals at the hotel and enjoyed the wide selection of food to choose from. The local Indonesian coffee they serve is fantastic and not to be missed!

We visited the spa which added a little more luxury to our already luxurious retreat – highly recommended.

The quality of service from the staff was very high and we appreciated the genuine warmth and friendliness the whole team demonstrated during our entire stay. General Manager Luke was very friendly and helpful, we appreciated the special attention given to us during our stay.

It was a very memorable experience and we would definitely stay at The Bale again.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
Luke H, General Manager at The Bale, responded to this reviewResponded 30 January 2013

Dear AmelieA, thank you for your review and travelling to us from the East Coast of Australia. The majority of our Australian guests are from the West, so great to see you here and more importantly that you had such a great time. The "old school" interaction style from myself is something I absolutely enjoy as every person is different with a new story, so for me it means each day is different and that is what I enjoy about hospitality. New Year was a lovely night and given our environment, very private and intimate which is what The Bale is about. Certainly there is the opportunity to party very hard at other locations near and far, but we are a different product to that and glad this suited your purpose. Thank you for mentioning Hamish with his interaction, because he too is just as proud of what he and his team deliver. Right across the board, the team here display a lot of belief and that goes along way to achieving the positive results we like delivering to our guests the overwhelming majority of the time. I look forward to personally welcoming you back. Kind regards - Luke Harley

Reviewed 16 January 2013 via mobile

We have just checked out of The Bale today and I can honestly stay that this was one of the best holiday experiences of my life!
From the moment we were picked up at the airport by our smiling and accommodating driver to checking out very sadly today, there was nothing I could fault about this resort / home away from home!
Our villa was incredible and so clean and was even more amazing than what we expected. The room was huge with a divine private pool, indoor and outdoor shower and huge egg bath with TV above it. The day bed was also a fabulous place to read and relax, whether it was raining or sunny outside.
We ate nearly everything available on the menu during our 9 night stay and everything was to an incredibly high standard and absolutely delicious and fresh. The head chef Hamish was only to eager to please and was always so welcoming when you dined in the restaurant, Faces, and whenever you saw him around the property.
All of the staff at The Bale are so welcoming, happy and friendly with many of them working at The Bale since it first opened 10 years ago. A testament that they find The Bale a fantastic place to stay. There was never a need that wasn't met or anticipated and all the staff were so ready to please. From the check in staff, to the drivers, waiters, cleaners and gardeners, every single staff member was amazing.
My husband and I also visited the spa and the massages we got were divine! I've never felt so relaxed and soothed after our 1 hour Balinese massages. We also used the gym and yoga room at The Bale and both these spaces provided exactly what we needed when it came to our fitness regimes.
The general manager Luke is a fantastic host too with plenty of recommendations on things to do in the area and restaurants to visit as well as organising us a car for the day and helping us get into beach clubs in surrounding regions.
I can't speak highly enough of The Bale and my husband and I will certainly be back to enjoy the hospitality, service and quality of this ultimate destination again soon. 10 out of 10!

• Stayed: January 2013
Luke H, General Manager at The Bale, responded to this reviewResponded 29 January 2013

Dear MaddieB_24, thank you for celebrating your honeymoon with us and for spending 9 nights at our property. Also a big thanks for your very thorough, enthusiastic and positive posting on our property and your time at The Bale. Right across the board in all areas, we are very proud of what we can achieve and provide to our guests. Every country in the world has beautiful hotels, it is the team with their friendliness, professionalism and genuine desire which makes the guest experience and our team here do that very very well. While I certainly appreciate your comments about us being 10 out of 10, we are not perfect but we certainly strive hard to exceed our guests expectations which I am glad we did on this very special occasion for you both. I look forward to personally welcoming you back to The Bale in the future and anything I can do to make this happen, please do not hesitate to contact me directly luke.harley@thebale.com
Kind regards - Luke Harley

Reviewed 9 January 2013

This review may appear somewhat inconsistent with other reviews but this may be because my Wife and I spent 2-3 times longer at The Bale than most couples tend to. All of the problems we encountered were discussed with the General Manager before we left and we are confident from the feedback we’ve received that Luke will make a big difference in his new role as General Manager.

It was our first time to Bali and the first tip we can offer is to book the VIP immigration service – it’s worth every penny!

As we got off the plane an official from the Airport took our passports from us, together with our immigration forms and our $50USD, and led us passed all the queues and straight to the baggage hall. When we got to the exit there was a sea of people holding name boards. I have no idea how we would have found our driver from The Bale hotel as there must have been 50-100 different drivers jostling to get their name board displayed so the Airport official took us to one side and called the hotel to get our driver’s phone number. She then called our driver and he met us where we were standing. In the car we were given cold water, cold towels and fruit for the 40-minute drive to the hotel.

On arrival at the hotel the entrance is very disappointing but this is apparently intentional. Once inside the locked gate of our Villa everything was completely private! We knew that January is the rainy season but during our 10 days we had almost constant rain every day. It was always hot and humid and when it wasn’t raining there was a lot of cloud-cover so we were only able to sunbathe on 5 of the 10 days we were in Bali.

The biggest problem we had at The Bale was noise and the fact that our expectations were higher than the quality and the service we experienced.

The first villa we were in (36) was well maintained, clean and well-appointed and had a view over the lagoon through the trees. It was situated at the bottom end of the complex so it was initially really quiet and not overlooked in any way. During our first couple of days the weather was hot and sunny but the air conditioning failed to cope as we could not get the room below 28c.

On Day 5 of our holiday we had to change rooms as a large development project has just started at the lagoon and after 2 days we decided the noise was unbearable. The Villa roofs are thatched so even with the villa doors shut we could still hear the diggers. One of the hotel drivers told us that all development projects in Bali will be stopped after 2014 so it seems there are many development projects taking place at the moment to beat the deadline.

The new villa (33) seemed to be an older room or else it is in need of renovation as there were quite a few stains on the floor and the paintwork, and various other problems which were gradually sorted during the remainder of our stay. Unfortunately the villa was in the middle of the complex so it was far from quiet. On the sunny days, when the Gardeners were not maintaining the grass outside our villa with an electric strimmer the maintenance team were drilling and hammering or cleaning the concrete paths with a powerful jet wash - on two occasions we had to ask them to stop. The air conditioning was a lot noisier in villa 33, possibly because it consisted of 3 separate external compressor units, and we could hear this throughout the night and also in the garden while we were trying to relax on the sunny days.

Free WiFi is available throughout the complex but on several occasions we found that the network was unavailable until around 10am and occasionally in the evening as well. Not all the paths seem to be drained and there are lots of white marble steps so the rain created various hazards. Umbrellas are plentiful but there is one particular spot where it was impossible to navigate the path to and from the deluxe villas without wading through a very large puddle while it was raining.

The food was excellent and the Executive Chef Hamish had told us in advance he would be happy to try and accommodate if we wanted something which was not on the menu. The Executive Chef prepared an excellent meal for our Wedding Anniversary dinner which was not on the menu and which was provided complimentary and we also had a really nice cake. On New Year’s Eve we had an excellent 7-course dinner but the cost was an additional $240USD per person.

The Butler service is basically room service – if you want a meal or something else in your room then one of the team of Butlers will bring your order within 20-30 minutes – on one occasion we had to ask for a new cooked breakfast to be prepared as it was cold when it arrived at our room. There is only one open-air restaurant and no shop nearby but if you want any snacks, or need to visit the shops, the hotel will gladly arrange a car and we took advantage of this on a couple of occasions. The hotel would probably benefit from an indoor air-conditioned restaurant as the flies in the restaurant can be quite annoying while you’re eating a meal. They do provide mosquito sprays though! On our last evening we sat in the open air restaurant while the heavy rain was blown through the screens and the staff were pushing back the water on the floor with a long handled wiper blade.

The best way to see the Island is to get the hotel to arrange a Chauffeur for the day. This is cheaper than an organised tour and your driver will take you to whichever places you want to go so it’s easy to see lots of places in one day. We paid about £40 for 6 hours and before we left the Hotel we agreed with our Driver where we wanted to go – he also stopped at a few additional attractions on the way. We were in a comfortable air conditioned car and he was very knowledgeable pointing out things on the way. When we arrived at the attractions he simply waited for us and everything was done at our pace. We could have had a lot longer if we’d have wanted to and the driver would simply have added the additional hours to the cost, which was charged to our hotel bill.

The General Manager Luke and the Executive Chef Hamish were really keen to do everything they could to make our stay pleasurable and it was a shame they were let down by some of the team. The Staff are really friendly and the problems we had during our stay were relatively minor, but unfortunately during our 10 days at The Bale there were quite a few avoidable minor problems which we had to escalate to Luke and this was not what we’d expected from a property of this calibre.

Room Tip: When there's no building work Villa 36 is ideal.
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank cmwicks9
Luke H, General Manager at The Bale, responded to this reviewResponded 11 January 2013

Dear cmwicks9, thank you for your very thorough and reasonable posting about your time with us. Regardless of a guests length of stay whether short or long, the service and our product must remain consistent. I appreciate many of your points noted and respect the way this has been addressed. While a number are out of our control ie the noise issue which has since been rectified along with the weather, we are far from a perfect hotel and on this occasion we have fallen short in some areas which I apologise for. In saying that, your overall experience has been provided as a 4 star rating, so it would also appear there were many positives that have contributed to this rating by you. Constructive feedback like yours allows all of us to realise the importance of maintaining consistency. All of us here are certainly all humble and realistic enough to know that errors do occur, it is trying to minimise these for our guests which the majority of feedback would identify we do very well. The next step is ensure we act on what you have mentioned which is within our control, communicating this accordingly amongst the team so they can appreciate every different guests expectations and experiences. While I appreciate you mentioned that none of these have been large issues, more a build up of smaller issues that presented themselves it is the little things that can make a difference to a guest experience in both a positive and negative manner. We thank you for staying with us, providing your constructive feedback which is duly taken on board and glad there were many positives to counter a couple of the areas we fell short. Please feel free to liaise with me directly if I can assist you further. Kind regards - Luke Harley

Reviewed 2 January 2013

Firstly we were greeted on our arrival by Luke Harley the general manager who could not do enough for us to make our stay the spectacular time it was. We were lucky enough to spend our anniversary at this magnificent,beautiful,tranquil retreat and were surprised with a delicious cake and heart shaped rose petals surrounding our bathtub-WOW! The food was great and the chef Hamish is so talented. The staff were so friendly and sweet. There are not enough expletives to say about our time at the Bale.

1  Thank Carol T
Luke H, General Manager at The Bale, responded to this reviewResponded 2 January 2013

Dear Carol T, thank you for your review and a big thank you for choosing us to celebrate your special occasion. I am glad all of us were able to make it memorable for you both with a moment you will be able to cherish and share with friends and family for many years to come. I am glad we could add some spark to the occasion as a gesture from us to ensure the memory stays with you, after all it is the hospitality industry isn't it!! We certainly believe that people and the guest experience comes ahead of many other material items, not everything is about the dollar or has to have a value other than you leaving happy with a positive memory. I do hope we get to share more special occasions with you in years to come and if I can make this happen, feel free to make contact with me directly. A long way to come from Canada, but hopefully one day again, it will be worth it. Kind regards - Luke Harley

Reviewed 31 December 2012

The Bale is a perfect place for a totally relaxing vacation. The accommodations were just beautiful, the spa services were outstanding, and the food simply impeccable. Best of all is the staff. Every single person from Luke, the General Manager, to Hamish, the Executive Chef, to the front desk and gardeners were so genuinely friendly and couldn't do enough for us. Our pavillion including a private pool was spacious and well appointed. A candlelight dinner there was a highlight. We cannot wait to return and will be sure to tell our friends about a glorious stay!

Room Tip: We had a deluxe single pavilion...lots of room!
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
Luke H, General Manager at The Bale, responded to this reviewResponded 1 January 2013

Dear FrediN, thank you for visiting us all the way from the Big Apple. It is great to hear you had a wonderful time with us and the team here exceeded all your expectations. Myself and Hamish are the only 2 Ex Pats here with the rest of the team all Indonesian, which is the experience and holiday we want our guests to enjoy due to the caring, gentle and genuine nature of our team. They all go about their roles with passion and enthusiasm that you cant help but admire and respect their attitude. The team here in front or back of house, perform their duties because they want to not because they have to and I firmly believe this shows in the guest experience. Thank you for choosing us and I do hope we can welcome you back to the warmth and beauty of The Bale in the near future. Kind regards - Luke Harley

Reviewed 30 December 2012

My husband and I spent Christmas holidays at the Bale. We booked the Romantic Adventure Bliss Package(4D/3N). It was the best relaxing holiday!

We were welcomed by out butler on arrival. We were taken straight to our room without going through the usual check in at reception. The room was extremely spacious with a large private pool and huge outdoor day bed. There was also a separate outdoor shower and lone standing bath tub.

The staff were very attentive. It was nice of the GM and head chef to personally welcome us to the resort. Everytime we left the room and returned, the room was cleaned and made up. On a few occasions, there were little surprises left for us - cake for our anniversary, cookies in christmas stocking and bath tub filled with rose petals!

The food at the restaurant as well as catered to our room was great. We had a BBQ at our villa with a personal chef and waiter which was awesome!

Overall a good quality resort with personal and attentive staff. Will definitely recommend it to our family and friends!

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear BlueButterfly, thank you very much for your lovely posting. It is a quiet relaxing sanctuary and we love it that way. The team here enjoy what they do, going above and beyond is not unusual because the desire to please is genuine and infectious among the team. It is wonderful to be a part of this and enjoy coming to work everyday because of our friendly and positive environment. The package you enjoyed is one of our most popular due to our environment, as what is a holiday without a bit of romance and adventure thrown in for good measure. We do have a number of other packages available for different purposes and should any of these appeal to you when you return or your friends/family wish to stay with us, please feel free to liaise with me directly luke.harley@thebale.com so I can assist. I look forward to personally welcoming you back in the near future. Kind regards - Luke Harley