“A Rare Experience for City Dwellers”
Review of Villa Semana

Villa Semana
Ranked #69 of 199 Hotels in Ubud
Singapore
“A Rare Experience for City Dwellers”
Reviewed 29 April 2012

A little surprise as I was greeted by uninvited guests from the rice fields along in the villa. City dwellers like ourselves are not so used to such crawlies in our living and resting space.

However, this is made up for when we were placed in the biggest villa of this place. A fair view of the river, nice private pool followed by giant benches which allows you to laze around and get switched off from the daily tensions. A relaxing selection of music to aid you in the escape from the city. Villa wise, depending on which one you stay, might bring you back nostalgic feels of Asia in the early 80s or rustic memories from the pass of giant vegetation.

The lady masseurs seems to have a good wealth of experience. Nice heavenly touches to the sore muscles raised from the pressure during sports and works elevates them to a new wonder at the end of the session. If you take the massage after a long hard climb from mount Batur, the feeling of the hard ascend is much more worthwhile. The light headed feeling at the end of the session induce such a deep sleep that the few hours of rest was more than enough.

Dinner was served with a delicate touch as the chef has prepared the dishes with pride and you can feel the effort in the food he puts into. Last heard from the boss that he insist in using organic rice grown in Bali and no expenses are spared in creating the dishes.

As there are only 10 villas there, the staff more or less knows where you are staying and most likely will remember you by name. Staff service is excellent and the efficiency is highly rated. Imagine asking for a hot pot of water and having them delivered within minutes which you can count with 1 hand.

Overall, this is a villa which I will go back again for my vacation in the future, A lovely place for a romantic getaway without the hassle of the city.

Any shortfalls? Perhaps for the $$$ you might feel a little pinch and the time needed to get to the town center requires at least 15mins in their shuttle.

Room Tip: If you are too used to the city and not such a country side person, it is advise to check with them...
1 Thank imdho

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (130)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 28 April 2012

We have stayed at villa semana twice now, in the last 6 months. We stayed in malwar both times which is a garden villa. We have enjoyed both our stays. The food is fantastic. The accomodation is great, love the outdoor shower and its great having your own pool. The service given by the staff is fantastic. We dont mind the trek into town as the shuttle service is quite regular and its such a peaceful area, out of the hussle and bussle of town.

1 Thank flycom321
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 26 April 2012

It was my second time in Bali and first time in Ubud and a friend booked for us at Villa Semana. It was a perfect choice. 12 villas with their own small pool, very quiet, a bigger pool overlooking the paddy field and the river. The garden and landscape are exactly like those which make your dream in the Traveller’s magazine. Green, quiet, luxuriant and perfectly maintained. The food is great and the service very efficient. A plus is the presence of the owner and director Mr. Jurg. His presence and advices give you a feeling of being important. He invited my boy friend for a mountain bike ride in the paddy field. He would have never be able to go there by himself as only locals can do. For me, the best was the open air spa, reserved just for us. A nice massage for both of us followed by a drink on the terasse. Good food, excellent service and affordable price...highly recommended.
May

2 Thank mayleetn
Epe, The Netherlands
Reviewed 19 April 2012

nicely tucked away villas but still close enough, by car, to UBUD,
very friendly staff , good kitchen.

Room Tip: ask a villa with the paddy (sawa) view
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank anthony g
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 16 April 2012

We stayed at a private villa with a private pool overlooking the river. The staff are very polite and the room was clean and nicely set up for our arrival. The breakfast is ok, but the Balinese coffee is quite good: mild and easy to drink. The inconvenience is that you need to use the car to get to the central part of Ubud.

We had a miscommunication problem that you may want to know about. We asked for the laundry service and according to the instructions it was supposed to be returned the same day if dropped off before 10am. We followed the instructions and had our clothes picked up after 9am, but had to make multiple calls to get them back the next day when we were checking out. The staff said that they didn't know what time we were leaving, hence no laundry. There is a big difference between return by 6pm and return upon checkout. It was a hassle, and it was ok in the end.

Otherwise, very, very pleasant stay.

2 Thank happily_married_m
London
Reviewed 13 April 2012

I was due to arrive at this hotel next week and emailed to enquiry about what I had thought was a free airport transfer service (many other hotels offer this). I will admit when I was quoted a fee for double the going rate I was a little surprised and stated in an email that I had not expected this of such a hotel.

At this point the owner J Suter emailed me an abrupt reply stating that because I had paid a low rate this was not included and that I was welcome to cancel! The ongoing email chain consisted of Mr Suter accusing me of making comments about his hotel (which in fact I had called beautiful!) and repeatedly saying I was welcome to cancel. In hindsight It is clear I had angered him in some way and that customer service was no longer a priority!

To overcome what was a degenerating conversation via email I decided to call Mr Suter. This conversation involved me apologising if he had felt my comments were negative about the taxi transfer, but that it had been a genuine mistake.

Mr Suter then spoke at me saying that I was not the type of client he wanted at his hotel and that he would not subject his staff to me. At this point I was audibly upset and asked him to please explain why he was being so rude and what justified these comments, especially when I was ringing him to discuss the situation (customer service reversed!) He proceeded in quoting the inn keepers act and saying that I was not welcome at his hotel with no reason given (clearly I was not planning to visit at this stage!)

Now I understand Mr Suter has been lovely to the guests that stay at his hotel (perhaps those that pay full price?!) and I'm sure that the villas are beautiful. However his treatment of me, solely for expecting his hotel to offer a free taxi transfer shows a side to him that I am glad I did not meet in Bali on a holiday of a lifetime.

19 Thank Claire H
australia
Reviewed 13 April 2012

We arrived at Villa Semana in the late evening and were very comforted by the easy transfer arrangements, the warm greetings and cool refreshments on arrival, the "magical" torch-lit stroll to our villa and finally the wonderful outdoor shower and comfortable bed. But... like children on Christmas morning, we couldn't wait to wake up to see our 'presents' by daylight. We weren't disappointed!!!! The environment is spectacular with pockets of surprises and peaceful nooks to sit and ponder - a true gem. The villa itself was also fabulous. We stayed in Teratai and enjoyed the location,the view/s, the layout, the bed, the outdoor shower and the plunge pool. I can only agree with every other review that has sung the praises of Villa Semana, and the staff who work quietly but tirelessly to ensure that the choice we made for a relaxing and rejuvenating holiday experience in Bali, was a perfect one.

1 Thank richos2