All reviewsrice paddiesprivate poolevery morningminutes by carpeaceful retreatindonesian breakfastubud townfree shuttleguruvilladriverducksbalifieldculturetransportbalconies
Reviewed November 23, 2011

This place is a miniature palace with amazingly beautiful manicured gardens and landscaping which is in the middle of the most picturesque rice fields. I thought the rooms were well furnished with lovely finishing touches like the fresh flower arrangements. The staff are absolutely fantastic, you'll feel like royalty staying here they take such good care of you. So friendly and caring. We stayed here with several families for 2 nights we all had plently of space, wish we had stayed much longer. I felt so safe and relaxed here, no where else in bali did I feel I could just let go like here.

There are plently of great trips to do in the Ubud area like the monkey forest and the Bali Elephant Safari in Taro. They provide transfers to and from the shops in Ubud and even gave us a mobile phone so we could call when ready to be picked up. The kids loved the pool and the blow up pool toys they provided. Agung, Guru, Nyoman, Komang, Dewie, Ayu and all of the staff Thankyou! I really hope to come back!

Room Tip: Get yourself to Ubud and then call Agung Khalia to pick you up or have the driver call them for directions, its a little hard to find. We had the two villas at the back with the pool in between, there were 4 families plus some extras we had enough room for all.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank Shannon S
Reviewed November 21, 2011

We recently stayed at Villa Agung Kahlua and enjoyed meeting and getting to
know the staff. The pool was beautiful and meticulously clean. We spent a
lot of time in it.
However overall I found Villa Agung Kahlia to be a disappointment for two
reasons.
Firstly the interior design. Bali is well known for its design. And Modern
Balinese Design is particularly highly regarded. I assumed that Villa Agung
Kahlia, would be a showcase of modern Balinese interiors. It was not. The
actual rooms in Agung Kahlia are huge with little furniture, making the
space feel empty and unfinished. The pieces that are there, are ugly,
horrible vinyl couches; uninspiring coffee tables; uncomfortable lounges.
The rooms are lit by bare fluorescent-like bulbs in each corner with no lampshades.
That¹s right, no lampshades at all. Just bare bulbs. I thought that perhaps
they were in the process of replacing the lampshades until I visited another
room and saw that it was the same. So at night the room, lit up by ugly
white-light lightbulbs, has about as much ambience as a 7-11. Frankly it was unpleasant and to my mind, unacceptable.
Secondly, it¹s difficult to get much privacy at Villa Agung Kahlia. The way
the villa is designed is that every guest that arrived/or left had to walk
past our front door and had a clear view of our pool, and us in it. At one
point the owner came to visit us and walked up our path and through our
front door and into our loungeroom without knocking or hesitating. We were
shocked. I would¹ve thought being respectful of your guests¹ privacy is the
first rule of hotel management.
I can¹t recommend Villa Agung Kahlia because design and privacy really
matter to me. If they don¹t to you and you want friendly service and a very
inviting pool then Villa Agung Kahlia may well be a great place for a
holiday. But it wasn¹t for us.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
5  Thank 1mackski
eastrips, Owner at Villa Agung Khalia, responded to this reviewResponded November 25, 2011

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of Villa Agung Khalia and for recognizing the clean, friendly environment that we offer. Getting to know and interact with the staff is one of the pleasures of staying with us. We provide a traditional Balinese experience in upscale accommodation using traditional design elements, locally sourced materials, and a staff from the immediate community.
Our entire staff, including our local co-owner Agung, is trained to knock or call out before ever entering an occupied villa, so we apologize profusely for this event. Having observed Agung over the years I can honestly say that I have never seen this happen before and can only imagine his soft-spoken “hallo” was not heard before entering the lounge room, which is the room you enter directly from the front door. I will discuss with him the need to speak or knock more loudly if the guests have not already replied.
The location of the Villa I pool area relative to the first entry gate is a valid concern, and we are currently addressing this. The location and number of entry gates (angkul-angkul) are determined by the priests rather than engineers, and we are prohibited from adding a third entry gate as this would invite unwanted spirits (may sound odd, but this is traditional Bali). Our potential solutions are to use this angkul-angkul exclusively for Villa I guests or building an internal privacy wall which blocks the view of the pool but detracts from the open and welcoming nature of the complex.
The lights mentioned in the review are low-watt, canned, recessed, or ceiling-mounted fixtures. They are all located 3.5m (12 feet) high and there is no possible way to put lamp shades on this type of lighting, so I am baffled as to how to address this issue. We selected this type of lighting because it represented a good balance between providing light, ambiance, deterring flying insects, and providing easy access for cleaning. Lamp shades on Balinese ceilings would only act as insect holiday homes.
Our furniture and décor are locally sourced. We know the people who hand-made most of the furniture and who painted much of the artwork. The traditional furniture models our traditional Balinese exterior, and it has never been our intent to market the villa as “a showcase of modern Balinese interior design”. Our website, photos, and prior guest reviews accurately reflect the nature of the villa interiors, but we will take your comments to heart and revise our website to more clearly reflect both what we highlight at Villa Agung Khalia, and what we do not. We upgrade the furnishings and décor on a continuous basis but we will certainly incorporate your comments into our purchasing decisions while also maintaining our focus on traditional, locally-sourced styles and excellent quality for the price.
Sincerely;
Darren and Laura
Villa Agung Khalia

Reviewed November 15, 2011

I just got back this morning and i couldnt wait to tell people what a great place this is. Getting back to this beautiful space after a busy day was amazing. I loved the peace of the surrounding rice fields, the luxury of the villas and the friendliness of the staff. Nothing was too big a problem for them. I wish i could remember all the staffs names, but Agung, Guru are the ones i can remember. The lady who massaged us on site was also wonderful and it was cheap enough to have one every day. My sister explained like it was like being wrapped in love. but that is what this part of Bali is all about. You could walk through the fields and feel like you were transported back in time. Attention to detail in the grounds was amazing and waking up each morning to the views from our 2 balconies was divine. I cant wait to get back there.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
3  Thank Michelle A
Reviewed October 11, 2011

My partner and I have just returned from an amazing 12 days at Villa Agung Khalia with friends. I would happily rate this place an 11 out of 10 if I could. Before we had even left Australia, we received an email saying they were looking forward to our visit and if there was anything we needed to let them know. A small gesture, but it was lovely having that personal touch.

All the staff were so friendly and always had a smile on their faces. Nothing was ever too much trouble. On our first night, the rest of our group wasn't arriving until quite late so we asked if we could have dinner in our villa when they arrived. Due to flight delays and some traffic, they didn't end up arriving until around 10pm, and this was not a problem for the staff. Shortly after they arrived dinner was served by the smiling staff who did not seem to have any issue with still being there so late. This was not the only time the staff went out of their way to provide meals outside the normal serving times. My partner and I did some scuba diving in Padang Bai (which meant a 7am pickup) which we had mentioned to Guru and later that day he came to our villa ask us our breakfast order which was served by the pool at 6:30am, even though breakfast was normally served from 7:30am.

We went into Ubud every day at least once, often twice, and every time we called (on the mobile phone the villa provided us) it was no problem to take us in and more often than not we were told we could be taken in straight away if we wished. They were also able to organise a baby sitter with only a couple of hours notice so that we could enjoy a night out without the kids. We were also able to organise massages with only an hours notice. My only complaint with the massages was that I got sunburnt and couldn't have more! The ladies who did the massages were so lovely, and amazing at what they do.

The setting is absolutely stunning and it was lovely being out in the rice fields, away from the hustle and bustle. Since being home I have really missed the sound of the frogs, and gecko's as I fall asleep, and I also miss hearing the evening call to prayer each night.

We can't wait to stay at Villa Agung Khalia again, the next time we are in Bali!

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Cpt_Schnookums
Reviewed October 10, 2011

My gang and I would like to express special thanks to Mr Agung and his son for their sincere hospitality. Not to mention all the staffs who were equally helpful, friendly and even eloquent in other languages like japanese to our surprise! Special thanks to Mr Guru who took the trouble in attending to all my phone requests. He is the middle-man that made all things possible in Villa Agung Khalia!

In addition, I would like to express my sincere gratitude to Miss Dewi, who was the key lady that helped my group out in the wee hours in one particular morning. She rushed to the villa from home and started cooking and packing our breakfast as early as 4.30am because my group had to leave the villa early for a photoshoot. Miss Dewi is always smiling and assisting in customers' needs! Thanks a Million!

Last, I would like to say that the entire Villa Agung Khalia is a beautiful place. Worth staying whether you are going in a big or small group. It is centrally located in Bali and within an hour or so drive to all the different corners of Bali. My stay here has been very pleasant and I won't hesitate to go back again in my next Bali trip. So far, I would say that its my most comfortable and relaxing stay in any villa that I have gone to.

Thanks again to Mr Agung & Son & All Staffs!!!

Love
Bobby Dong & Party

Room Tip: All rooms are great!
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends