“Book at your own risk”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Desa Sanctuary, The Village
Ranked #275 of 654 Ubud B&B and Inns
Reviewed 22 August 2012

Desa Sanctuary remarkably ruined my Ubud vacation.

- They made a mistake in my booking and instead offered a room across the street. The room is old, dark, and not properly maintained. Definitely not worth the USD 115 I paid in advance. That’s correct. Advance bookings must be paid fully in advance.
- The place only has 5 rooms and they still made a double booking error. I learned from the staff that there had been 3 similar incidents that month. Note that I arrived on Aug 4. If this was a tactic, it had no good benefit for tourists.
- From the hotel, you need a cab if you plan to go to Ubud Center. It costs around 50K rupiah for a one-way trip. Even the local driver commented that the place is far. He even asked me why not get better and cheaper hotels near Ubud Center.

Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
4  Thank marlon_sg
ArtlifePancakes, Owner at Desa Sanctuary, The Village, responded to this reviewResponded 23 August 2012

I am eager to respond to this guest as they did not stay with us and yet they wrote a review of us. We did make a mistake and double book a room. We were extremely apologetic and offered this guest a room in our Private Rental home that is across the street from the Village. I would hasten to say that it is neither old, dark or not properly maintained. This is our higher end rental which is a large house, with private staff.
Desa Sanctuary is a B&B and is situated in a Village 5 min south of Ubud center. We have 5 indigenous houses, Joglos from Java, Lumbungs from Bali and Kampung houses. We have been appreciated by many for maintaining a Bali feel for our homes, with western amenities to make guests comfortable. We book houses in advance and hold them for our guests. We are not a big hotel with "walk in" capacity so we have a booking agreement that is clearly understood when guests make reservations...No surprises here!
We do apologize for making a mistake and offered our best solution, and tried our best to help out. There have not been other incidences of double bookings during the month ( as was implied that we are using a business tactic of overbooking) I'm sorry our guest felt so upset that they could not accept our apology.

Reviewed 4 June 2012

Stay in somewhere else and feels like home is the best and that is how you feel when you stay in desa sactuary - rumah David. or you might feel that you are staying at your friend's house.

The service was excellent, they welcomed me and my friend with warm smile and treat us like we haven't met for a long time. The breakfast was the one that caught me. It was a healthy yummy breakfast.The owner, Brenda is a friendly and warm person, she just arrived from the state that day, and i was just one of her guest, but she stopped just to say hello and to appreciate our stay. Ibu Sak Ming is the lady that i talked almost every day, very helpful and friendly lady.

The design of the houses are unique, very homey and natural. no TV and aircon, which i think no one who wants to explore Ubud will need it. Ubud is quite cooling area. We stayed at Rumah Kampung, the room that designed as a house and had our breakfast every morning on the table just outside our room. The room is clean, wooden made, nice king size bed, and has cozy corner where u can enjoy your books. We paid USD 50/ night. super worth it =)

Definitely highly recommended place to stay in Ubud =)

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
3  Thank Lee03
Reviewed 23 May 2012

The staff at Desa Sanctuary were incredibly nice, welcoming and helpful. All the rooms are very different, so I can only speak on behalf of the room I stayed in - Lotus Lumbung. I liked the "boutique hotel" vibe it had going on, but the design is so impractical. The bathroom (along with the kitchen and sitting areas) is open, so tons of bugs and ants get in. When I went downstairs at night to use the toilet, it was covered in so many ants I couldn't even sit down. It's a bit of a walk to the center of Ubud and there isn't a proper sidewalk for most of the way. If you plan to take a cab somewhere ask the staff to call for a METERED taxi. Overall, I liked the ambience of the place and the staff, but doubt I would stay here again due to the location and the impracticality of the room.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank alexofthenorth
ArtlifePancakes, Owner at Desa Sanctuary, The Village, responded to this reviewResponded 27 May 2012

Thank you for your review. We appreciate feedback and always want our guests to be satisfied.

Yes, the houses are open air downstairs. It is the Bali style of living and yes, we do live in the lovely jungle where we co exist with ants and bugs and geckos and roosters. I'm sorry that our staff was not alerted to an ant parade as they would have taken care of it. It is their job. There are some very good remedies we have for ants that are non toxic and work.

The Village of Pengosekan where The Village is does not have sidewalks ....even Ubud has bad ones...this was a small village that as little as thirty years ago, there was only a bike path from Seminyak to Ubud. We love that fact, but know that the reality of "no sidewalks' is a shock to those from the cities of the first world. smile..

Reviewed 17 April 2012

I stayed here alone and from the first moment of arrival the staff made me feel like I was part of a family! Every one of them was accommodating at all times, smiling, friendly and helpful.
I stayed in Rumah Tingah which is up a winding set of stairs and perfect for a singleton or couple, although the bathroom would not offer much privacy (thin sliding door). The ac kept the room cool and pleasant and I also bought a fan at local supermarket for 15 bucks which helped too.
The property is set just off the main road into and out of Ubud so it is not quiet ever with constant noise from motorbikes and other traffic. I got used to the rooster sounds and the barking dogs and I wore ear plugs every night.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 7 April 2012

Brenda, the owner, is such an accomodating host! Desa is clean and everyone is very friendly. We felt completely at home here. Stayed here twcie already and both times have been great! We used the massage room in their home and that was incredible. The massage room overlooks rice fields with a really nice massage table. I was a big fan of the lumbong house-type rooms and the outdoor shower which was very private. Definitely recommended for couples and families alike!

Room Tip: the lumbong rooms are perfect for two
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 March 2012

My partner and I stayed for 10 days in June/July 2011. The staff and wonderful and helpful and everyone and the accommodation exceeded our expectations. We were so happy with everything. This is where we will stay every year we come to Bali! I am even brining my mother this time! The food is excellent - I think I tried everything on the menu and it is great just being that little bit out of the centre of Ubud so that you can have a relaxing break from it all.

RECOMMENDED!!!!

:-)

Kami mencintaimu Rumah David - ketemu lagi!

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 March 2012

My wife and I originally booked just two nights of a 5 night trip to Bali here however we loved Ubud/Desa Sanctuary so much we extended to 5. Tucked away off one of the main roads leading into Ubud the sanctuary is a lush green compound with the houses set around a great little swimming pool. We stayed in Rumah Tinggi and loved the space, large bed and outlook over the surrounds.

Hiring a scooter ($4-5 per day) in town is recommended as although it is walking distance to Ubud centre it probably took us 25 minutes each way. Otherwise a driver is also easy to arrange at about $2-3 per way.

Thank you for a wonderful place to spend our Bali trip :)

• Stayed: February 2012