Desa Sanctuary, The Village
US$198
US$344
US$296
Savings alert! 13% below average rates

The price you found is 13% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$341/night.

US$161
US$181
US$91
Agoda.com
Savings alert! 24% below average rates

The price you found is 24% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$119/night.

US$79
US$67
Agoda.com
US$740
US$644
Savings alert! 15% below average rates

The price you found is 15% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$756/night.

See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed August 28, 2012

Our biggest complaint was the location... Not close enough to Ubud central to walk each timeand not far enough away to be scenic and worth the taxi in! In fairness, this may have been my fault in terms of research, but I was overwhelmed with Ubud options! However, staff were friendly - and even scooted me to a yoga class I was late for when no taxis were available. I do wish however I would have booked at Casa Luna as planned to be in the action of it all.

Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Kellie L
Reviewed August 25, 2012

My wife and I stayed at Desa Sanctuary, also known as "The Village" when we first move to Bali.

Now I have to set the record straight and say that Desa Sanctuary is NOT the same Village from the movie of the same title, starring Joachim Phoenix, in which creatures (who inhabitants do not speak of) lurk behind the tree line of the encircling Covington Woods, waiting to terrorise residents. No, this is an entirely different 'The Village'.

Although the movie soundtrack by James Newton-Howard would create a very nice backdrop to waking up in the tranquil setting of Desa Sanctuary, the sound of water running into the swimming pool and knowledge that breakfast is going to be served on time and with a smile (and that one needn't always order banana's to scare away those we don't speak of) is definitely comforting.

We regularly ate the delicious pancakes and bananas, fruit with yoghurt cereal, and coffee most mornings, all of which we recommend highly!

On top of all of the above I feel it is my duty to add that on the one in instance in which there was a spider in our the room, and my wife (who is absolutely terrified of spiders) called for help, the staff came quickly and helped the spider on his way, which I consider to be an invaluable service as I honestly have my hands full chasing my wife around, let alone spiders as well!

So in conclusion, we cannot help but compliment Desa Sanctuary for their friendly and helpful staff, service and accommodation’s, and if you find yourself looking for a place to Stay in Ubud, a home away from home where the staff are friendly, where it doesn't cost a fortune, where accommodation is good, with a pool, trees, and a stone’s throw from town, give Sanctuary The Village a try.

If not, look up try The Village in Covington woods, and wear Red.

A & J

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed August 22, 2012

Desa Sanctuary remarkably ruined my Ubud vacation.

- They made a mistake in my booking and instead offered a room across the street. The room is old, dark, and not properly maintained. Definitely not worth the USD 115 I paid in advance. That’s correct. Advance bookings must be paid fully in advance.
- The place only has 5 rooms and they still made a double booking error. I learned from the staff that there had been 3 similar incidents that month. Note that I arrived on Aug 4. If this was a tactic, it had no good benefit for tourists.
- From the hotel, you need a cab if you plan to go to Ubud Center. It costs around 50K rupiah for a one-way trip. Even the local driver commented that the place is far. He even asked me why not get better and cheaper hotels near Ubud Center.

Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
4  Thank marlon_sg
ArtlifePancakes, Owner at Desa Sanctuary, The Village, responded to this reviewResponded August 23, 2012

I am eager to respond to this guest as they did not stay with us and yet they wrote a review of us. We did make a mistake and double book a room. We were extremely apologetic and offered this guest a room in our Private Rental home that is across the street from the Village. I would hasten to say that it is neither old, dark or not properly maintained. This is our higher end rental which is a large house, with private staff.
Desa Sanctuary is a B&B and is situated in a Village 5 min south of Ubud center. We have 5 indigenous houses, Joglos from Java, Lumbungs from Bali and Kampung houses. We have been appreciated by many for maintaining a Bali feel for our homes, with western amenities to make guests comfortable. We book houses in advance and hold them for our guests. We are not a big hotel with "walk in" capacity so we have a booking agreement that is clearly understood when guests make reservations...No surprises here!
We do apologize for making a mistake and offered our best solution, and tried our best to help out. There have not been other incidences of double bookings during the month ( as was implied that we are using a business tactic of overbooking) I'm sorry our guest felt so upset that they could not accept our apology.

Reviewed June 4, 2012

Stay in somewhere else and feels like home is the best and that is how you feel when you stay in desa sactuary - rumah David. or you might feel that you are staying at your friend's house.

The service was excellent, they welcomed me and my friend with warm smile and treat us like we haven't met for a long time. The breakfast was the one that caught me. It was a healthy yummy breakfast.The owner, Brenda is a friendly and warm person, she just arrived from the state that day, and i was just one of her guest, but she stopped just to say hello and to appreciate our stay. Ibu Sak Ming is the lady that i talked almost every day, very helpful and friendly lady.

The design of the houses are unique, very homey and natural. no TV and aircon, which i think no one who wants to explore Ubud will need it. Ubud is quite cooling area. We stayed at Rumah Kampung, the room that designed as a house and had our breakfast every morning on the table just outside our room. The room is clean, wooden made, nice king size bed, and has cozy corner where u can enjoy your books. We paid USD 50/ night. super worth it =)

Definitely highly recommended place to stay in Ubud =)

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
3  Thank Lee03
Reviewed May 23, 2012

The staff at Desa Sanctuary were incredibly nice, welcoming and helpful. All the rooms are very different, so I can only speak on behalf of the room I stayed in - Lotus Lumbung. I liked the "boutique hotel" vibe it had going on, but the design is so impractical. The bathroom (along with the kitchen and sitting areas) is open, so tons of bugs and ants get in. When I went downstairs at night to use the toilet, it was covered in so many ants I couldn't even sit down. It's a bit of a walk to the center of Ubud and there isn't a proper sidewalk for most of the way. If you plan to take a cab somewhere ask the staff to call for a METERED taxi. Overall, I liked the ambience of the place and the staff, but doubt I would stay here again due to the location and the impracticality of the room.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank alexofthenorth
ArtlifePancakes, Owner at Desa Sanctuary, The Village, responded to this reviewResponded May 27, 2012

Thank you for your review. We appreciate feedback and always want our guests to be satisfied.

Yes, the houses are open air downstairs. It is the Bali style of living and yes, we do live in the lovely jungle where we co exist with ants and bugs and geckos and roosters. I'm sorry that our staff was not alerted to an ant parade as they would have taken care of it. It is their job. There are some very good remedies we have for ants that are non toxic and work.

The Village of Pengosekan where The Village is does not have sidewalks ....even Ubud has bad ones...this was a small village that as little as thirty years ago, there was only a bike path from Seminyak to Ubud. We love that fact, but know that the reality of "no sidewalks' is a shock to those from the cities of the first world. smile..