“Nice hotel with great staff”
Review of Alaya Resort Ubud

Alaya Resort Ubud
Ranked #44 of 200 Hotels in Ubud
Reviewed 3 April 2017

The hotel is very centrally located with shops, ATM machines, supermarket and restaurants very close by. The room was clean, spacious and well appointed. I enjoyed sitting on our patio overlooking the rice fields. Such a treat! The spa is so beautiful and the moment you come in, you feel relaxed. The Balinese massage I had was one of the best I have had! What was even more important and which made our stay very pleasant was the professionalism and friendly attitude of all the staff. They were ever ready to be of assistance.
One thing which the hotel could do is to provide guests with information on what to do in case of an earthquake. While we were sleeping one early morning in March 2017, we heard the windows and sliding doors rattle and shake quite strongly and knew that we were experiencing an earthquake. Luckily it was soon over and nothing disastrous happened and everyone went on with their daily routine. I am aware that earthquakes are not unusual for Bali but am wondering if the hotel provides information on how guests could respond more quickly to earthquakes?
Many guests may come from countries which are not prone to such disasters and may not know how to react quick enough. Perhaps there is information readily available but I overlooked it.

1  Thank Michelle S
Alayahotels, General Manager at Alaya Resort Ubud, responded to this reviewResponded 24 April 2017

Dear Michele S,

Greetings from Alaya Resort Ubud.

Thank you for your kind time to share your experience with us at TripAdvisor.

I am glad to learn that you've enjoyed our resorts and its facilities, service as well as the location. Please allow us to take your comments and use it as improvement opportunities for us to ensure fine tuning is made in the future.

On behalf of my entire team, we are looking forward to welcoming you here again to stay with us.

I Nyoman Suwamana Wahyu Putra

Write a ReviewReviews (2,175)

Reviewed 2 April 2017 via mobile

This hotel was a located in the main road in Ubud within walking distance to supermarket, shops, ATM, and attractions such as the Monkey Forest, the Market and the Palace. Room was very spacious with a beautiful view to the rice fields. Private open shower concept which I consider very romantic however can be closed by the used of curtains. Two restaurants with excellent thai food options. Staff is extremely friendly. The Spa treatments are fabulous.

Stayed: February 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ninamari56
Alayahotels, General Manager at Alaya Resort Ubud, responded to this reviewResponded 6 April 2017

Dear Ninamari56,

Greetings from Alaya Resort Ubud.

Thank you for your short and meaningful review at TripAdvisor.

It is glad to know that you were impressed by the service of our team and you were enjoyed the resort and its facilities and also the location. Your comments are important to us as we continue to refine the level of service we extend to our guests.

Sure, allow me to welcome you back to the resort in the near future to have another memorable experience.

Reviewed 2 April 2017

My best friend and I decided to book Alaya Ubud for our 4th trip back to Bali. We decided on Alaya upon checking trip advisor and expedia for reviews and prices. Alaya came up near the top in the price range we were comfortable paying. We also wanted to stay in Ubud Center in order to be able to visit numerous restaurants.
We booked the Alaya room for 7 nights, as it was recommended on Trip Advisor as the better room. Though our flight came in late and we got to the hotel around 2am, we were impressed with the service as soon as we arrived. We were happy to hear about the different options to have our breakfasts, meals, afternoon tea. We were also given a voucher for two for a lunch or dinner of our choice during our stay. We were told that we got this because we were booked as a long stay. That was a nice gesture. We were taken to our room, and both of us were impressed with it - it matched the picture on the website. It was clean, spacious, modern, and welcome fruit was waiting for us. After our showers, we went to sleep and both found our two big beds spacious and comfortable. Even though we only slept for a few hours that night due to late arrival, we both got goodnight sleep. In the morning we called in and asked if we could have our breakfast on our balcony as this was one of the options (the other being, eating in the rice fields or at the main restaurant). There was a lot of choice for breakfast and you can customize. I took the vegetarian healthy option and wanted my bircher muesli without out milk and dry. Wtihin 10-15 minutes, our breakfast was delivered and set up nicely on our balcony table. We both got fruits, fresh juice, pastry basket, tea or coffee, plus the main dish. It was delicious and fulfilling. We loved having breakfast delivered to our balcony which was overlooking the ricefields and the pools, so we opted out to have our breakfast delivered to our room on a few other days. We also had our breakfast at the restaurant in the ricefields which was serene being surrounded by the lush, green rice. I enjoyed my strawberry pancakes. They were delicious. But, probably the best breakfast is served at the main restaurant (Patani) where you get a number of different options aside from the normal ones. These choices are much more gourmet. I had delicious crepes, and my friend had banana bread french toast with snake fruit compote. So good! We would also like to mention, that the coffee that my friend got each morning with her breakfast, it always came decorated with coffee art which was such a nice touch for your morning coffee (I always got tea with my breakfast). While on the food topic, we both loved the complimentary daily afternoon tea (or choice of coffee) with the traditional Balinese desserts - what a great touch! These desserts would change daily which was nice. Prior to coming to Alaya, I have read somewhere here on trip advisor about their famous coffee and lattes, and so on the last day of our stay we ordered taro latte and red velvet. Wow, truly delicious and we were angry at ourselves that we had not gone out for coffee to Petani restaurant before our last day (aside from the coffee we were getting at breakfast). We used our voucher for dinner one evening and the food was incredibly delicious and presented in a wonderful way. We thought we would have gotten a set menu; but to our surprise we were able to choose from an onset of choices. The voucher included main entree both, plus a choice of a starter or dessert for both. We both got delicious salads and mains that included fish. Super delicious.
In terms of the grounds, the two main pools are beautiful and surrounded by peaceful greenery. The kiddie pool is by Petani restaurant. There is a zig-zag boardwalk throughout the rice fields which makes you think you are far away from Ubud center. We had lunch about five times while lounging by the pool and the food was pretty good and you had a choice of different menus. We had also tried the spa and I have a separate review of the spa. I enjoyed it as well.
The staff - all of it, was super friendly and attentive. Everyone stood out in their own way, I was nicely surprised of how caring everyone seemed.
On our last day, we checked out in the late night as we had a red eye flight, and we had asked if we could have something instead of the breakfast that we would miss (as I had read about the possibility of that in one of the reviews). The staff was friendly and arranged a massive amount of food which they packed for us and delivered to our room (they also gave us the option to eat at the restaurant), but as we were packing we decided to have it in our room. Both of us got a number of separately packed packages that each included chicken sandwiches with a side salad, and balsamic dressing, bread and pastries, a fruit box with yogurt on the side, butter, jam and condiments on the side, water bottles and juice bottles. We were super delighted as we were expecting something small like a light snack, but we got a whole breakfast and more packed for us. We were really delighted.
There really aren't many negatives for to think of now. Perhaps, it would be nice if there was a shuttle to town and back - although when I inquired about whether there is one, they said no, but they can check if there is a car that can take me to the market. We did walk, that time, and it was a nice walk throughout the town leading up to the main street where the market is, but it was quite a long walk - it took us about 30 minutes. Though we did take many breaks, and walked very slowly due to my knee injury. But it would be nice if there was a scheduled shuttle that took people in and out of the resort to the main market street, let's say 3 or 4 times a day for those who cannot walk that far. Also, I am not sure if the resort is wheel chair accessible, unless you take the back way (side entrance). The buildings do have ramps, but there was no ramp from the main building going into the building with the spa and where our building was located. I have a knee injury and it was not easy for me to walk back and forth from Petani to my building.
Aside from that, there really isn't anything else that I can pick on. Loved the room, the balcony, the cleanliness, the comfort, the daily fruit, the pools, the green rice fields, the daily water supply, the staff, the coffee and food. I have taken many photos which I have added on my instagram account @katfuz if you are interested to see. I am also adding a few here.
We were both so sad when we had to leave this wonderful place. It has exceed our expectations and we both would like to return in the future and will definitely recommend it to our friends and families. Thank you Alaya for the service and comfort!
One last thing, the resort is right next to Coco Mart, which was so great, and there are a number of laudry services on the other side of the street just a few minute walk away. There are also spas and nail shops right there, and Monkey Forest is about 10 to 15min walk away.
If you are looking for a driver to take you to this resort, or need one for your stay in Bali whether it is pick up/drop off to the airport, for full day use of the car, or half day or even just to drive you and wait for you, I can recommend Iketut Suartana. He is a local Bali driver that works for a company but he also does private drives. He is not a tour guide, so he will not charge you extra, only for the use of his car. o the spa or anywhere and wait for you. He charges a lot less than other drivers in Bali. You can reach him by sending him an sms or phoning him directly at +6282147140702 (We both used him on 3 of our 4 stays in Bali, and are recommending him to everyone here as we all our friends back home - You can mention you got his number from Kate and Shelley in Korea, he will give you a very decent price and not over charge you).

Room Tip: Choose Alaya room for a luxurious stay
  • Stayed: March 2017, travelled with friends
5  Thank shate
Reviewed 1 April 2017

We spent two nights at this hotel/spa and were very pleased. The hotel arranged for and car and driver to meet us at the airport which was very well done and fairly priced. We had booked directly on the hotel's website and when we arrived received a complimentary upgrade to a room with a separate seating area. The room was very nice. We did both have massages in the spa which is also quite nice. The breakfast and lunch were enjoyable sitting outside.
A very professional staff and everyone was very pleasant.
The cost of our staff was very reasonable for the quality of the hotel and staff. We would book again.

Reviewed 1 April 2017

We arrived at 0100 and tired from the journey were just happy to be checked in and given a room (134). We were escorted to our room and helped with bags etc and on opening the door were greeted by a wonderful clean beautifully appointed room. In the morning when we were awoken by an earthquake! we went out onto the patio to find we had access to the gardens and the pool was literally 20m away. The breakfast is excellent and although the choices are limited the quality and quantity is outstanding. And all delivered by the most friendly welcoming staff, but all of Bali is blessed with lovely people. Ubud is fantastic and it takes about 15-20 mins to walk into town or about 2 hours if you are with my wife and stop in every shop! We loved our 4 night stay and my only complaint is that it was too short.

Room Tip: Ground floor, facing the gardens. Close to the pool if you can.
Reviewed 1 April 2017

i Strayed there for 5 nights, i really enjoyed every second, stating with hotel location it's in the center near shops and lot of attraction, adding to this, Alaya can arrange a trips for you, and they have their guides also (for us Jonny joined us and he was helpful and i highly recommend him).
On the other side the staff were really nice and friendly, the food was really amazing, and it is clean and well serviced.
One point from my side they should add in house laundry service and Halal Food .

Thank you Alaya for this unforgettable experience ..

Room Tip: higher floors are better, with a good view on the rice field
  • Stayed: March 2017, travelled with friends

Dear Abeer A,

Greetings from Alaya Resort Ubud.

Thank you for your positive comment here at TripAdvisor.

Through this comment I believe that you enjoyed your stay with us and this is how I'm proud of my team who your stay flawless. Please allow us to take your comments and use it as improvement opportunities for us to ensure fine tuning is made in the future.

On behalf of them, allow me to welcoming you back here to stay with us in the near future.

General Manage

Reviewed 31 March 2017 via mobile

I was in Bali for the whole month of Feb. and stayed the Alaya Resort hotel for just three nights towards the end of that visit. Without hesitation, I'd rebook the Alaya resort, and stay there again—because it's perfectly located at the center of all the action and shopping in Ubud, yet super quiet. My room was large, very well furnished (with a very comfortable bed). It also had a great shower, and view of the pool area. If I could change one thing it would be the air conditioning system, which was nearly too powerful for the space—it over cooled, if that's possible.

Breakfast was included. I found the food and service at the front restaurant better than the one far from the street.

Service was excellent. Just don't crack any jokes with the receiving bell man about your luggage—as I did, saying "Oh right, my garbage," and he took that to mean that I wanted the item I was referring to (athletic clothes in a plastic bad) tossed. Initially two of three bags made it to my room. Eventually the third one followed—all intact. They pulled it all together, and given my joke the delivery delay was really my fault. All good.

I can highly recommend this hotel.

Stayed: April 2017, travelled solo

Dear DDMMVV,

Greetings from Alaya Resort Ubud.

Thank you for your short and meaningful review at Tripadvisor regarding your recent stay at our resort.

I am glad to learn that you have memorable experience at Alaya Resort Ubud and you were enjoyed our resort and its facilities and location.