“Neat but not clean”

Puri Saraswati Bungalows
Ranked #156 of 199 Hotels in Ubud
Reviewed 4 September 2017

Staff were helpful and friendly, the rooms were neat but defiantly not clean. On arrival a stray cat ran out of the room, shower was moldy, the glasses had clearly been rinsed but not cleaned, there was a build up of dirt behind the fridge from the bugs, the room was only secured with a padlock but I could still get half my body through the door and there was no safe in the room - however you do get the option to leave your belongings in a safe behind the reception desk counter. We had booked 2 nights but left the same day we checked in as we weren't comfortable with the cleanliness or security of the room.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family

Reviewed 25 August 2017 via mobile

Location is excellent, right in the middle of everything but guest rooms are set back away from the main road so it's quiet. Gardens are beautiful and well maintained. Rooms are basic but the rustic feel of the place compensates for this. Beds were small but comfy, showers basic but powerful enough. No frills so don't expect in room tea making facilities etc. No room safes in the room they are at reception. Breakfast is extremely basic with the same menu everyday, but setting is lovely. Pool area small and only a few sun beds so not always enough space for everyone. Internet across the resort and strength was fine. You do get tourists walking around the resort because they probably think it's a temple due to the architecture.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 20 August 2017

Just letting you know the Internet tells a very different story...I booked this hotel sight unseen but the pics and write up looked good. Upon arrival I was disappointed, to say the least. The rooms, I tried two, we're so old and shabby they should be condemned. The elderly male porters were grumpy and insolent, the bathrooms ancient and dirty. The bed, athough mattress obviously new, was as hard as bricks and the doors to the room didnt even meet in the middle, not the Balinese experience I thought I was going to get. I won't even mention the awful breakfast.decamped to a new modern beautiful hotel the following day.

Room Tip: My only recommendation is...do not consider this place, I won't call it a hotel.
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 16 August 2017

The hotel is located in Central Ubud next to the Saraswati temple, and unfortunately very close to the very busy Jl. Raya Ubud which is the main road in Ubud. The staff was very helpful and friendly and understanding when we indicated that we wanted to cancel our second nights because of the noise coming from the main road. The hotel itself has a lot of charm as it looks like a medieval balinese house.

Room Tip: Get a room as far as possible from the entrance
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 July 2017 via mobile

We stayed here for a night after finding a package that included a massage in our room, a trek and tickets to a Balinese dance. Just as a sidenote when you read hot tub in Bali it actually means bath. The bungalows are smack bang in the middle of Ubud on the grounds of Saraswati water temple so it was peaceful with incredibly beautiful surroundings with lotus ponds, a pool, greenery. It was really quiet as well. The bungalows are traditional, with high ceilings a beautiful doorway and a porch with a table, chairs and a writing desk. The bed was huge and comfortable, the bathroom was beautiful marble and the bath was sunken into the floor. The breakfast was lovely. My husband had the banana pancake which he said was the best breakfast he'd had in Bali. It only missed on a 5* rating because the staff were a little unorganised. My package included a rice fields trek which took a while to organise. I was asked to go to reception at a specific time and nobody was there. I waited around for a bit before going on the walk alone. When I returned my husband said they'd called to see if I was ready. Overall, we had a lovely, relaxing stay and would definitely return here.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 June 2017

Our second time to saraswati bungalows and we weren't disappointed. The staff speak very good English and the breakfasts are heaven sent. It is right next to the Lotus Cafe and easy walking distance to all the shops as well as the rice fields. It is a little tired these days but remains good value for money.

Room Tip: The rooms at the back are newer than the ones at the front.
  • Stayed: June 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 14 June 2017

We stayed for 4 nights here, so glad we did. It is situated on the main street in Ubud but once inside the grounds it is so quiet and peaceful . The garden are well kept and so lush and beautiful. There are 18 rooms of bungalow style. Very authentic, with balcony and aircon, fridge and lounge. Only thing missing was coffee and tea facilities But not a big issue.

For the price we paid it was good value .Breakfast is included in the cost. No buffet but A short walk through the grounds and you are in the Saraswati temple. With a beautiful lotus pond and Cafe as well which puts on Balinese dancing most nights. I would recommend staying here for a cheap but restful stay.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking temple
  • Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple