Ubud Sari Health Resort
US$279
Travelocity
US$96
Cancelon
All reviewsraw foodsteam roomdetox programmind body spiritzen villascoconut waterjuices and smoothiescolonic irrigationhealing massagegreen juiceherbal teaspirit packageshops marketshot gingerriver roomitchy biteswellness spa
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 28 October 2011

I'm a bit torn in my review of the place. Some things were great, others not so much. I did a two week retreat and it probably wasn't the right thing for me in the end. Other people who I was there with did find it to be a great positive experience.
On the up side, the resort is almost self sufficient in growing much of its produce for its raw menu. The service in the restaurant is excellent, always fast to order, things take a little while to prepare but thats because it's all fresh! They could use a new blender to improve the quality of the smoothies, but the juices are excellent and the variety of raw delicious food is amazing.
The program is not individualised and is drawn up without any consultation with you. Which, I guess is fine if all you want to do is spend 24/7 at the resort. They are flexible with swapping some treatments out if you find you do not like something.
The "therapeutic" treatments (Deep tissue and Shiatsu) were excellent. The others, being the majority depend on the staff and often end up being the same strokes up and down your back without purpose for an hour. I had a bad experience with both the hot stone and the herbal compression massage where items where placed onto my body (and pressed in), that were way to hot and burnt! There is not a system to ensure a maximum safe heat.
The yoga was entirely disappointing. More of a gentle morning stretch then a yoga class. The teacher goes through the same stretches and movements in the same order each morning. Not worth doing or paying for if you have an actual interest in practising yoga.
The resort uses alot of plastic water bottles (ie; you are given about 6-7 a day). It would be great to see reusable bottles given and refilling stations.
The nurses that did the colonics were really good and you felt comfortable (as much as you can be :)), and relax in their care. Both are long term employee's.
Most of the staff seem to be long term employed, I mean at least 5 years and going up to 15 when the centre first started. So, on a good note, I assume the conditions of employment are fair and rewarding to the staff.
The accommodation was very simple, but I found it quite nice. Lots of water around = lots of bugs but the staff light candles and other anti bug gear to try and keep the bites at bay. A nice touch is the staff who come in the evening to "turn down" the bed, turn your light on and pull the mosquito netting around the bed. The room I was in had a comfortable bed, lots of pillows but the nets where dirty and with holes which allowed the bugs to get it. A nearby roosters also started it's calling between 3 and 4 am - so pack ear plugs! The balcony I had in the Zen villa was a nice way to hang out and start the morning or end the evening.
I found the program to restrictive, with stuff I didn't want to do and not enough time to do the things I did. For me, it was also a long walk to go to alternative yoga. If you want a week out, to totally organised and not have to do anything then roll out of bed, this might be for you.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo
6  Thank mcmacca83
Reviewed 29 September 2011

We moved from Honeymoon Guest House II to Ubud Sari and the ambience was totally opposite to Honeymoon II. Utterly peaceful with beautiful vegetable and herb gardens with a nice pool situated next to a small “waterfall”. We had a river room with a balcony and each night staff would come in and turn down our beds, switch on the mossie coil and drape the bed with nets. Then I did a four day “wellness” program which helped me to detox from the food and drink that I’d imbibed prior, during and after our wedding celebration and was moved to a Zen villa room overlooking the waterfall – the room was beautiful with its own small balcony, garden and fishpond. I was given healthy drinks, salad and soup with plenty of water. I did meditation every day which was interspersed with yoga and a host of treatments that left me looking and feeling a million dollars but didn’t cost the earth. I would highly recommend a stay here and have already booked for next year.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
5  Thank soobooAus
Reviewed 13 September 2011

I stayed at Ubud Sari 3rd week of August. This is my second time there. Ubud Sari is one of the first detox places in Ubud and survives on word-of mouth referrals and on not marketing efforts (which doesnt really exist).

The massages and colonics are the main stays of Ubud Sari and conversations in the resto area suggest that people are fairly content with the service. If the masseurs and colonics nurse, many of whom have worked there for 10 years, left tomorrow, Ubud Sari would be in trouble.

But the all round service is basic as there is no real management system in place (Emails are not responded to - I never got a response to my initial Email and had to ring Ubud Sari direct a few times to secure a booking), also upkeep of rooms could be better (rusty wall fans, dirty mosquito nets). So if you dont have high expectations and dont mind a basic service, the Ubud Sari is the place for you....

Room Tip: Ask for the newest rooms past the pool (built in 2011) as they are lighter than the older ones
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank Keith M
Reviewed 5 September 2011

Great location, nice ambience, attentive staff. But that's about it.

They can pay more attention to the cleanliness of the rooms. Yoga classes in the morning not worth RP70,000.

• Stayed: August 2011
2  Thank kennysia
Reviewed 19 August 2011

I have just arrived home to Australia after spending a week at Ubud sari. The mind body and Spirit package was fantastic value and I was truly relaxed and felt amazing but the end of the week. The juices and soups were wonderful. I really enjoyed my accommodation. The massage rooms were fairly basic but this certainly did not interfere with the experience. The service of the staff was fantastic. The steam room was gross but that is the only thing I found fault with and it really did not bother me or the experience I had. I would go back. Great value, great time and great people.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo