New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Ranked #6 of 69 Hotels in Medan
Vientiane, Laos
“Pleasantly surprised”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 January 2012

I recently started a new job in Sumatra and the company put me up at the Aryaduta. I had no pre-conceived expectations but to be honest, I wasn't expecting much. I was very pleasantly surprised however, when the shuttle car dropped me off outside a clean and well maintained foyer area and I was met by extremely polite and friendly staff. I tought it a little odd that reception is on the 9th floor but the porter explained that the accommodation comprises three floors atop a shopping centre.

The girls at reception were pleasant, polite and efficient and the room was more than adequate for my one night stopover. The bed and pillows were comfortable, the bathroom clean and the cable TV had a good selection of English language channels.

The restaurant was clean, well presented and efficiently staffed. The breakfast buffet was quite adequate to suit both Asian and Western palates.

The only negatives I can make is that there was nowhere convenient to place my suitcase without it being in the way and there seemed to be a problem with the aircon control - I had a cold at the time and didn't want it too chilly but the control seemed to keep "defaulting" back to 18 degrees (this could just be my misunderstanding of how to set it).

I will be happy to stay there again when I next pass through Medan.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank James V

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
Jakarta, Indonesia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 January 2012

I choosed this hotel is just because the location near the movie, so I can go for midnite movie without worrying anything. For other things, I better choose the other hotels in same stars.
- No wifi in room, they just provide wifi in lobby and restaurant. So I must use cable for online in room.
- The staffs not fully care, my room was not made up for few days, every time I came back from my work or hangout, the room was just like before I left. And I have to call room services for many times.
- I must call the room service to picked up my laundry almost everyday.
- The TV programs is not complete. Very sad I couldnt watch Star World during my stay there.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 December 2011

Hotel looks well maintained, new and unlike Hotel Angkasa (where we had dinner) which looked very gaudily decorated and old. Swimming pool and shuttle service to the airport also available.

Rooms were fully carpeted, bright and blankets were warm, providing a good night's rest to recharge. Bottled water was provided and newspapers are complimentarily placed outside your door upon request. Television had cable network and free wifi available throughout the hotel. Room also had a safe and thermostat.

One downside is that our room's telephone was not working and though the reception had called for the maintenance worker to fix, he didn't arrive. As we're a party of three, after having checked in, the rollout bed was not yet prepared. However, this was promptly done as we were dining at Hotel Angkasa.

International cuisine for breakfast, though food was okay and not fantastic. Hotel is located beside a shopping mall (nothing comparable to those in Singapore) with a hypermarket and a departmental store. Within 500m is Merdeka Walk, a food street, which didn't appeal much to us.

Nonetheless, a comfortable and clean shelter for the night.

• Stayed December 2011
Jakarta
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 December 2011

Room is spacious, but they could have maintained it better. Bedroom and bathroom were clean, but it could benefit from a bit of refurbishment. My room was dilapidated and carpet looked dirty (which might not be the case).

The hotel used to serve freshly brewed coffee from the coffee machine, but not anymore. So, I ended up with stale and weak coffee. Breakfast was average and the cafe was understaffed. There were only about three people serving the whole area, and it was quite busy at that time.

However, I've never stayed at another hotels in Medan, so I could not really compare it with others.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
Safed, Israel
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 December 2011

The rooms are quite nice but needs renovation - stained carpets etc. Questionable design in most (I was part of a larger group so I saw a few). The check in is OK but not more and the staff is helpful. Several good buffe restaurants and a Japanese teppanyaki offering as well. Nice and very stylish - for Medan. It is a good choice and I was not dissapointed in asnything more than not all romms have wireless.

Room Tip: Avoid 9th floor (no wireless)
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 September 2011

After a long week a small group of us returned to The Aryaduta Hotel in Medan at about 1115 PM just after the closure of the bar and were tolds so. I am as an Australian being told this and always thinking if I owned the hotel I would sort this sort of approach out ! Any way ( bit long winded sorry ) I asked if we could have a drink out side the bar - the nice girl said only room service and I said - good we will have it here and HEY PRESTO we got 2 drinks and I want to marry the girl and will stay there each visit to Medan untill I die.
It is these small things that make a big difference at any hotel and it must be a management thing? They have it here - charming desk helperss- comfy rooms and fair pricing .
Gets the OZIEMUNCHER 5 star rating !

Room Tip: Just take what you can - hard to get rooms all over Indonesia!!!
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
Jakarta, Indonesia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2011

I stayed for 1 night at a deluxe room with a large (2x2m) balcony overlooking the pool. The room is quite big and has a friendly, neutral feel. Loved the pillows which were super comfortable that I wanted to take one back home :p

Unfortunately, at that time I was just recovering from a cough, and the carpet (though it was nice and soft) exacerbated my cough. This, I take, is an indication that the carpet is NOT vacuumed enough!! The flat-screen TV had good channels but it was hung too far away from the bed. I also thought the amenities (tea/coffee + water heater) was oddly placed in a nook between the TV and the study table.

Breakfast and lunch is disappointing. Not much variety and average taste.

One other thing to note: the reception lobby is on the NINTH floor. Yup, you read correctly. It totally confused me when I got in the lift to look for the lobby.

I haven't stayed at any other hotel in Medan, but I understand that Aryaduta is one of the best, and only comes second after Marriott. I'm surprised, however, that the food is much worse than 5-star hotels in mainland Java, given that Medan is the third largest city in the country.

Stayed July 2011, travelled on business