“Contender for filthiest hotel in Asia”
Review of Wisma Sederhana

Wisma Sederhana
Ranked #7 of 52 Medan B&B and Inns
Reviewed 13 July 2017

We stayed at this hotel for a night on either side of our trip to lake toba. Based on our first night this hotel would have got one star, we were in a very small, windowless room which was poorly lit and dirty. Mould covered the bathroom and there were insects crawling around the sink. We are no novice to budget hotels in Asia and don't mind the odd cockroach or ant, but this was clearly because of the state of the room.

When we checked in there was no one who could speak a word of English, so we were left standing while they got a girl who had some English to check us in. Luckily she was also here when we checked in the second time, if she's not around then other people don't even attempt to communicate with you.

We were told breakfast was 7:00-9:00am so the next morning we packed and headed down at 8:30am, there were no noddles left (the only food available), we informed the man in the dining area, who gestured that they would cook some more. After 30 minutes we asked reception who said "yes, yes noodles" - I assumed this meant they were on the way. After another 15 minutes, we asked again, the receptionist spoke to the serving man, who shook his head and they both chatted in Indonesian while we were left standing around like lemons.

The second time we checked in, the room was slightly nicer, although stunk of smoke. The hot water still didn't work and the bathroom was so dirty. We are used to staying in hostels and budget accommodation and weren't expecting luxury, but even for the cheap price it's not value for money. This is one of the filthiest hotels I have ever stayed in with staff that are quite rude. The one plus is that they offer airport transfer for 150k, we would have been happy to have paid much that this just to get out of there. Would definitely not recommend to anyone.

Room Tip: Avoid non smoking rooms on ground floor
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 4 March 2017 via mobile

You get what you paid for. Very good location, walking distance to famous kwetiau ateng(must try). Breakfast is simple, but honestly the fried rice taste good. I see few room cleaners keep nusy cleaning this and that room. I give score 7 for cleanliness. Advisable to book via airyrooms.com find airy name "airy selat panjang". Price is lower than the displayed in receptionist & you get free snacks from airyrooms & toothbrush shampoo soap. ~you can only get this privilege when you do booking via airyrooms.com~

Stayed: March 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 November 2016 via mobile

I will definitely come here again!!!

Comfortable yet affordable hotel in the city centre.

I stayed here for 3 nights in the Royal room. The room is clean and spacious. Clean mattress and pillow (it smell nice). As a Muslim, I need some clean and enough space for me to perform my daily prayer. The room provided me the space and such cleanliness.

The hot shower is also good. I have no problem taking my shower in the early morning.

They also give you free breakfast. Yet there are not much option during breakfast, so I decide to take breakfast somewhere else.

The room service is also great. The food taste nice, with affordable price.

Lastly, you should know that the hotel provide FREE shuttle service to and from Stasiun Medan. Great right? As I enjoy riding GoJek in Medan, but free service is never been better right?

I only wish, if the hotel can provide a mini bar (small fridge) in the room so I can store my Yakult, yogurt and mineral water.

Stayed: November 2016, travelled solo
1  Thank Emi B
Reviewed 12 November 2016 via mobile

This hotes is located around shopping complex, behind swissbel inn. It makes traffic jam when office hour. At night, the street front of hotel is like mini china town with mostly non halal food.

I booked royal room. Large room with new renovation, large tv, and quite clean water. There is no window. Light breakfast with bread, chicken soup, and scrambled egg.

Stayed: October 2016, travelled solo
1  Thank yudhiarek
Reviewed 30 July 2016 via mobile

Stayed here last minute for one night and wouldn't recommend longer unless you have one of the newer rooms. I booked a delux room.

Positives
- breakfast included an omelette although basic
- air conditioner worked
- location close to Tong a Fui Mansion
- cheap
- comfortable bed
- hot water

Negatives
- Requested non smoking - got a room which clearly was an old smoking room with ash tray.
- The fan in the toilet and drain stank and kept wafting smells all night.
- Very worn down room, towels and linen
- toiletries provided didn't include toilet paper
- noisy from corridor - thin door
- shower head mouldy

From reading other reviews and looking at looking at the rest of the hotel I think rooms vary and therefore experiences do too. I didn't have the energy to ask to change rooms as I was too exhausted from travelling but I would advise to ask to see the room first so you know what you are getting.

I would give it a second chance but enquires to see room first and ask for a newer one.

Stayed: July 2016, travelled solo
Reviewed 14 July 2016 via mobile

Located in central area. Foods is all around selat panjang street. This is china town with various of chinese foods non halal. Our rooms at royal was good, and it cost at reasonable money. Good for budget traveller. You can order shuttle airport with common price. The coffee at the bar is quite good. Breakfast as simple Indonesians meals.

Stayed: May 2016, travelled on business
Reviewed 9 April 2016

Spent two night there...it is in a good location..lots of food stalls or restaurant around and in walking distance to Grand Mosque...around 15 mins....but hotel is just bit above average nothing special but very cheap so good for travellers on budget. Rooms are cleaned but bugs are common.

Room Tip: Go for a most expensive rooms!
  • Stayed: April 2016, travelled with friends