All reviews water tower budget accommodation room service is mineral water chinese food fried rice muslim
Reviewed August 30, 2017 via mobile

I stay this hotel before I went to brestagi on 25-26august when I arrive medan.
On 29august when I back to medan, I stay this hotel again, nightmare come!!! I'm bringing my baby and kid. The room is clean, aircond not noisy but not cold. We are staying in family room. Room 228.
We sleep around 10pm, because tired of sitting 5 hours car from parapat.
At 11.30pm, someone knock the door very very hardly, keep ask us to open the door. We said wrong room, she, a woman insist to open the door, use her body to push the door, keep open the handle of the door, the door almost break push by her. We in the room are so scared. My 2 years old baby is so frightened. He cried loudly. I call the reception and a guy come up to talk to the woman. The woman still push the door hardly and don't want to go away. This situation happened around 15-20min. After that the receptionist bring the woman away. The whole night we can't sleep. The baby was frightened and keep crying. The adults worried the woman come back again. The woman thought her husband was inside the room with another woman, she want to catch the husband. She speak Indonesian, and I as a Malaysian can understand Malay.
The second day morning, I went down to reception and ask what will this happened, the receptionist, a fat woman is polite, a man who is not polite and trying to made a different story to cheat us, while the fat woman told him the story is not like this, she ask the fat woman keep quiet, and said he cheat us. I speak to them by using English, they don't know I can understand Malay. The man said, the woman stay this room yesterday, she forgot she check out already and want to go in same room again. After the man talk, I answer in Malay: ceritanya bukan macam ini. I said this woman want to catch her man. Actually I tell the receptionist about this not want to complain or what, I just hope they beware about stranger go into the hotel in the night. The stranger make noise make the kid frightened and we as traveller dare not sleep the whole night. But the receptionist never apologise about this matter and create a different story to cheat us. The hotel should control stranger going in the hotel by using access card on the main door. Who with access card only can enter the hotel. Need a lot of improvement.

Date of stay: August 2017
Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed August 9, 2017

I booked the room via Airy Rooms. It was a little more expensive than other rates. but the room was squeaky clean, they provide extra pillow. MIneral water and some snacks. The toilet however was not so good. Can be improved.
The location was very strategic at is is located at Jalan Selat Panjang which is like a chinese food market that comes alive at night. It is also nearby other major attractions in Medan.

Date of stay: August 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed July 13, 2017

We stayed at this hotel for a night on either side of our trip to lake toba. Based on our first night this hotel would have got one star, we were in a very small, windowless room which was poorly lit and dirty. Mould covered the bathroom and there were insects crawling around the sink. We are no novice to budget hotels in Asia and don't mind the odd cockroach or ant, but this was clearly because of the state of the room.

When we checked in there was no one who could speak a word of English, so we were left standing while they got a girl who had some English to check us in. Luckily she was also here when we checked in the second time, if she's not around then other people don't even attempt to communicate with you.

We were told breakfast was 7:00-9:00am so the next morning we packed and headed down at 8:30am, there were no noddles left (the only food available), we informed the man in the dining area, who gestured that they would cook some more. After 30 minutes we asked reception who said "yes, yes noodles" - I assumed this meant they were on the way. After another 15 minutes, we asked again, the receptionist spoke to the serving man, who shook his head and they both chatted in Indonesian while we were left standing around like lemons.

The second time we checked in, the room was slightly nicer, although stunk of smoke. The hot water still didn't work and the bathroom was so dirty. We are used to staying in hostels and budget accommodation and weren't expecting luxury, but even for the cheap price it's not value for money. This is one of the filthiest hotels I have ever stayed in with staff that are quite rude. The one plus is that they offer airport transfer for 150k, we would have been happy to have paid much that this just to get out of there. Would definitely not recommend to anyone.

Room tip: Avoid non smoking rooms on ground floor
Date of stay: July 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed March 4, 2017 via mobile

You get what you paid for. Very good location, walking distance to famous kwetiau ateng(must try). Breakfast is simple, but honestly the fried rice taste good. I see few room cleaners keep nusy cleaning this and that room. I give score 7 for cleanliness. Advisable to book via airyrooms.com find airy name "airy selat panjang". Price is lower than the displayed in receptionist & you get free snacks from airyrooms & toothbrush shampoo soap. ~you can only get this privilege when you do booking via airyrooms.com~

Date of stay: March 2017
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed November 14, 2016 via mobile

I will definitely come here again!!!

Comfortable yet affordable hotel in the city centre.

I stayed here for 3 nights in the Royal room. The room is clean and spacious. Clean mattress and pillow (it smell nice). As a Muslim, I need some clean and enough space for me to perform my daily prayer. The room provided me the space and such cleanliness.

The hot shower is also good. I have no problem taking my shower in the early morning.

They also give you free breakfast. Yet there are not much option during breakfast, so I decide to take breakfast somewhere else.

The room service is also great. The food taste nice, with affordable price.

Lastly, you should know that the hotel provide FREE shuttle service to and from Stasiun Medan. Great right? As I enjoy riding GoJek in Medan, but free service is never been better right?

I only wish, if the hotel can provide a mini bar (small fridge) in the room so I can store my Yakult, yogurt and mineral water.

Date of stay: November 2016