“It ended up being a much-talked about evening.. but not for the reason you might think!”

Cooking Studio Taos
Reviewed 20 March 2016

We took a lot of pictures - mostly because it was so unique. We had never done anything quite like this so everyone was a little nervous. It was fun.I did not find the menu or food prep particularly interesting or challenging & there were not wine pairing with courses. In fact, when it was all done, we sat done & ate as a single course meal- buffet style with a single wine.The sweet potato dessert (yup- sweet potato on a cookie sheet, turned inside out to eat) was a little strange. If you are wondering, I wouldn't sign-up thinking it is a cooking "school" and you will learn a lot- we didn't. It was entertaining to watch the argument ensue with Chef Chris about whether iceberg lettuce had a redeeming nutritional value. And, of course, Chris had a lot of stories about what all he has conquered in life - from his home country -to the big screen -to the kitchen. Like I said, it was an entertaining evening but I'm pretty sure I didn't improve my cooking skills! It's a little pricey - I wouldn't do it again but we sure have had a lot of stories to tell from the evening.

2  Thank afparker1960
Cooking_Studio_Taos, Owner at Cooking Studio Taos, responded to this reviewResponded 4 September 2016

We enjoyed meeting you all and cooking during your visit. One important thing to note is this was not a typical class for us either! This was a private class and was booked by the other couple you attended with and they have a VERY STRICT dietary outline for us, due to health limitations of one of the participants - it was a challenge and luckily Chris was up to the test! You might not have been aware of that, but we were limited to a vegan menu, no sugar, no oil! So dessert was out but Chris did add the organic sweet potato for a little natural sweet ending with the meal. But for sure we agree, not the typical ending! Thanks so much for your review... We host many, many private classes and work with all types of dietary restrictions as needed.

Reviewed 8 October 2015

This is a great place to learn how to cook, and meet zealous locals of many different backgrounds. The class should be a must for anyone considering moving to Taos because it's a fabulous glimpse into local pursuits and habits.

Reviewed 5 October 2015

After attending several of their fantastic "secret suppers" I took a Spanish Tapas cooking class at the home of Chris and Valerie. What a wonderful experience! It was all hands-on, but Chris made even complicated processes easy and fun. Our reward was an incredible 5-course meal served in their lovely garden. Did I mention the wine?
A great way to spend an afternoon as a tourist - more unforgettable than the best museum.

Reviewed 2 October 2015

My husband and I wanted to try something different on our trip to Taos and decided on a cooking class. Cooking Studio Taos turned out to be the best decision of our trip! Chris made every part of this hands-on class very exciting and very educational! His knowledge about what spices to use to enhance certain foods was not only inventive, but spot on. And why not, as he is an award winning chef! He treated us novices with care and respect and we came away with lots of ideas and a wonderful afternoon! Thanks Chris. Keith & Bernie K.

Reviewed 2 October 2015

7 of us had a blast cooking and laughing and learning at the home of Chef Chris and his lovely wife, Valerie on a recent trip to Taos!
We prepared 6 New Mexico dishes and even got a recipe book so we can cook them at home! A beautiful setting - a wonderful afternoon culminating in a yummy dinner in the dining room!

1  Thank Lynn41573