“Unique culinary experience”

Cooking Studio Taos
Reviewed 8 July 2016

This is a really unique experience. After a short drive from Taos to Arroyo seco, Chris and Valerie welcome you to their home and it's a very relaxed fun evening. The summertime is particularly a good choice as you can enjoy the inside and outside spaces. The environment is absolutely incredible and it was fun picking from the garden, enjoying good conversation and a solid meal. If you're searching for a relaxed, learning culinary experience this fits the bill!

All reviews
"great food"
"great teacher"
"mexican cuisine"

Reviewed 8 July 2016

I took the New Mexican cooking class from Chris and had a wonderful afternoon and evening. I'm a good cook but learned new techniques and some wonderful recipes. I have been making the cilantro dressing and the New Mexican beans almost weekly since my return home. I hope next time I am in Taos that Chris will be offering another class. SUCH FUN!

Reviewed 5 July 2016

We enjoyed gorgeous views of the Taos Mountains while getting to know our host chef and each other. My friends and I learned about the importance of quality organic food and how to easily prepare scrumptious Italian Cuisine. In the end we were rewarded with a superb meal. Chris & Valerie Maher make everyone feel at home.

Reviewed 20 March 2016

We took a lot of pictures - mostly because it was so unique. We had never done anything quite like this so everyone was a little nervous. It was fun.I did not find the menu or food prep particularly interesting or challenging & there were not wine pairing with courses. In fact, when it was all done, we sat done & ate as a single course meal- buffet style with a single wine.The sweet potato dessert (yup- sweet potato on a cookie sheet, turned inside out to eat) was a little strange. If you are wondering, I wouldn't sign-up thinking it is a cooking "school" and you will learn a lot- we didn't. It was entertaining to watch the argument ensue with Chef Chris about whether iceberg lettuce had a redeeming nutritional value. And, of course, Chris had a lot of stories about what all he has conquered in life - from his home country -to the big screen -to the kitchen. Like I said, it was an entertaining evening but I'm pretty sure I didn't improve my cooking skills! It's a little pricey - I wouldn't do it again but we sure have had a lot of stories to tell from the evening.

2  Thank afparker1960
Cooking_Studio_Taos, Owner at Cooking Studio Taos, responded to this reviewResponded 4 September 2016

We enjoyed meeting you all and cooking during your visit. One important thing to note is this was not a typical class for us either! This was a private class and was booked by the other couple you attended with and they have a VERY STRICT dietary outline for us, due to health limitations of one of the participants - it was a challenge and luckily Chris was up to the test! You might not have been aware of that, but we were limited to a vegan menu, no sugar, no oil! So dessert was out but Chris did add the organic sweet potato for a little natural sweet ending with the meal. But for sure we agree, not the typical ending! Thanks so much for your review... We host many, many private classes and work with all types of dietary restrictions as needed.