This is a perfect place, for the right sort of person. I lead with that statement, as I don't want to mis-lead anyone who enjoys all the facilities and choices a 5 star establishment can give. To me and my wife, 5 star luxury covers all those things plus so many more.
From the moment we arrived at 8am, and was told we could enjoy an added bonus of a breakfast and early entry to our room, we knew we had chosen the right place.
The room we had was on the first floor, right on the beach front. The room is big, with a huge bathroom, a decent sized kitchen with two hobs and a large fridge. The lounge had a two seater settee and two chairs, and a single bed in place (great for an afternoon siesta from the heat.) There was a TV with news channels to keep updated of the worlds woes, ITV choice, and a movie channel in English if the weather did becone a little inclement. it also had it's own free wifi point, making checking emails and posting jealous inducing pictures on social media a little easier.
Breakfast isn't a huge 2000 item choice piece found in big hotels. You get fruit juice and either tea or coffee, a range of fresh fruits; from oranges, jamelah pears, or mango type fruits. I presume these will change with the fruits available in season. You also get a basket of hot toast, butter and jam. One morning we got a plate of cheese, and another morning we got a light and delicious omelette. This is aimed more for our continental friends, of which the Apartments has many French, German and Dutch visitors.
All of the staff are fabulous, working tirelessly all day to be available and ensure your stay is as perfect as possible. Gracey is there to pick up the phone and deal with anything you need, as we had a problem with our car and she dealt with is without a moments hesitation; and this was a car we had booked ourselves, nothing to do with the apartments. Between Gracey and Michelle, her right hand lady, they ensured we had a day trip to remember to the islands, even though it was short notice and it too them a few times to try different companies to find the right trip for us.
Januarie kept our rooms spotless, created fabulous towel artwork, and even made sure other reception type problems were dealt with efficiently. Her husband, Randy was always present, keeping the grounds in perfect shape, clearing away leaves, and neatly raking the sand; which we always felt a little guilty placing footprints on.
Jamelah has a big carpark, private, and safe, and guarded by the Major, the apartments lively old dog who is always willing for a bit of affection, or finding a shady cool spot to while away the day. The only time he barked was on seeing a friendly member of the staff's family, or one morning when a stranger wandered onto the grounds. My wife isn't a dog-person, having been bitten by one as a child, but she willingly took to major without a problem.
The location is very handy for Victoria and the airport, and most point around the island. The beach and sunbeds are on the doorstep, and you can enjoy the sun rising and passing overhead until it dips behind the mountains. The tide doesn't go out too far, and you can swim in the waist deep waters when the tide is in, although it can be a little choppy at times.
Finally, there are Simon and Bella, and their family. These are the giant tortoises who are part of the Jamelah family. They rest in their enclosure, willing to fight for a fallen pear and some gentle attention from the holiday-makers. They are well-cared for, as can be seen by the fact that they sleep with their heads and limbs out of their shells, a sign that they feel safe.
Some of the staff live on-site, making them available when required, but also making it feel as if this is a family business. They also make it feel as though you are brought in to their family, even for that short time you may spend with them.
A fabulous place to enjoy and relax in, and the pennies are being saved in anticipation of a return in the future.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Jamelah Beach Guest house and Apartments is situated on Mahé island, less than 10 minutes drive from the International Airport and about 25 minutes drive to the town centre, Victoria.The guest house is built on a private property, with white sandy beach directly by the sea. Located on the east coast we benefit from wonderful sunrise and the moonrise .Each apartment is self-catering and has an open plan layout with double bed with bathroom. Their is a kitchenette and sitting area. The apartments are fully air conditioned with individual private balcony with sea view. We also have giant tortoises on the property as our large slow pets. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com and Priceline so you can book your Jamelah Beach Guest House reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Jamelah Apartments Hotel Mahe Island
- Jamelah Beach Guest House Seychelles/Mahe Island