“Nice stay in a deserted downtown area, especially in the evening”

Hampton Inn & Suites Albany - Downtown
Ranked #10 of 50 Hotels in Albany
GreenLeadersBronze level
NoCal
“Nice stay in a deserted downtown area, especially in the evening”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 October 2011

Arrived around 10pm, boy the route taken from the airport seem like a scary movie. I was waiting for someone to jump out at me. Checkin easy booked a king, young lady said they oversold and had two queens. Asked about a CVS or Rite Aid around and she said it's closed. Offered water or soda from the pantry because of the no king rooms and I accepted. Up to the 8th floor and ok room, kinda dark until all the lights were turned on. Not too spaceous, but I was only in the room to sleep. Fairly quiet, could hear other guests entering rooms, but nothing where it would startle you. Looked out the window, saw my car parked on the street, where I had left it, no other cars around, looking really isolated. Woke up to use the fitness center, two treadmills, two cardio machines, and a water cooler. Breakfast was ok, all the hot foods tasted powdery and dry. Before I left, asked the night clerk about parking, as I thought I booked a parking rate included, she said yes, she would take care of the parking charges, if there were any. Returned, parked, it was valet. Asked the clerk where the Subway Sandwich Shop was, directed me four blocks away. Walked pass six bars within two block. Saw the Rite Aid closed before 8pm. Back to the room, quiet night and early checkout.

• Stayed October 2011
lms5367, Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Albany - Downtown, responded to this review, 26 October 2011
Dear Valued Guest,

I want to thank you very much for taking the time to write a review about the hotel. I wish you were able to experience and see more of Albany! The downtown area is very quiet at night. However during the day, it is thriving with people and interesting things to do and visit. There is a Subway very close as well as different restaurants and diners for you to enjoy. If you are in area again, just visit the front desk and we can supply you with a variety of attractions to see.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
  • Hebrew first
Philadelphia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 October 2011

I stayed on a Sunday night to attend a function with friends. I was impressed with how clean and modern the hotel was. Everything was well cared for and the Front Desk & Banquet staff were personable.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
lms5367, Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Albany - Downtown, responded to this review, 18 October 2011
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you so much for your review! It means a lot to my entire team when our guests take the time out of their day to comment about our hotel. I am glad you had an enjoyable experience and were able to enjoy the catered food from Yonos! We hope to see you again the next time you are in Albany.
Tel Aviv, Israel
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 October 2011

A good staying for busyness trip, hotel is very clean and quit, located directly on downtown. The staff is friendly, the breakfast is ready early at the morning. The room was very clean. But any other services aren't available: no swimming pool or jacuzzi.
Some negatives: additional payment for parking and very noisy evening restaurant.

Room Tip: ask east-side with city view, the view from west rooms is some industrials
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
lms5367, Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Albany - Downtown, responded to this review, 17 October 2011
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for writing a review about the hotel. I will definitely share your experience with my team. Even though we do not have a pool on our property, we do have free gym passes available for our guests at the Steuben Club, which is two blocks up the street. And they have a pool that our guests can enjoy! We also have a Relaxation Room, which includes a sauna, a stream room, a massage chair and a tanning bed in our hotel! Thank you again for taking the time to comment on your last stay with us and we hope to see you again very soon!
Hartford, Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 October 2011

Ok, let's get the bad out of the way first which happens to be one's first experience with the hotel if driving and parking here. There are no signs that are logical directing one to either 1) park your car yourself and then hand the keys to the valet or 2) Hand the keys to the valet and the valet will park your car. Since the valet is not anywhere near where you enter, you have no direction. The first day I parked myself then handed my keys to the valet. The second day, I got yelled at when I was parking to bring the car over to the valet hut because they needed to park the car. A simple, large sign or someone working where you pull in would be very helpful and allot more friendly.

The front desk person (named Bennie I think) was awesome. He was friendly, took care of some admin stuff for me, and even offered a unsolicited wake up call for me. Kudos!

The breakfast was typical Hampton Inn which works for me. Good job. Nice lobby.
The room was fine. Not huge but perfectly fine with a flat screen TV and perfectly fine bathroom (a tub for you soakers).

About a block and a half away is Steuben's Athletic Club which you should ask the front desk about if the fitness center is crowded or doesn't meet your needs. Nice benefit!

If I don't crash my car into the valet hut after being yelled at next time, I will return to the excellent hospitality of the front desk and the nicely located Hampton Inn, Downtown Albany.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
lms5367, Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Albany - Downtown, responded to this review, 15 October 2011
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to comment on your past stay with us. I am very sorry about the confusion you experienced with the parking. I will definitely address this with my team as well as the parking lot, since they are managed by a different company, to prevent any confusion in the future.

I am glad you had such an enjoyable experience with Bennie! He is so great with all of the guests and truly cares about everyone who walks through the door! I will definitely share your review with him as I know it will make his day! I am very glad to hear you were able to experience the Steuben Club. It is a great facility that we work very closely with to give our guests a variety of different gym equipment. We hope to see you again the next time you are in Albany.
New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2011

We stayed here on my husbands business trip. Since it was pet friendly we took our dogs with us. There is a great place to walk dogs across the street. The room was decent, typical Hampton Inn. The bed could have been better, but it's a Hampton Inn so you can't really complain much, what do you expect?

We had a couple of negative experiences though. When we got there they were having some problems with their fire alarm. The next day it went off midday. I did what anyone would do when the alarm goes off - I used the emergency exit to leave the building, grabbing both my small dogs and lugging them down the many, many, many stairs. We got outside to find the firetrucks and no one outside. I took them across the street to walk them and after a while went back inside to find nothing else changed. Everyone at the front desk were completely normal, as if, duh, this was a test or false alarm. I asked if I could use the elevator and go back to my room and I got the same expression of duh. Nice. I get to my room {mind you I have the two dogs} to find that the alarm did something to the key and my key no longer works. Nice. I had to lug them back downstairs and get a new one.

Our other issue was we wanted a late checkout. We had to pay in order to get one. Whatever. My husband was in a meeting all day and I wanted someplace to stay with the dogs, so we paid the half day fee in order to check out late. We had THREE people come to the door asking me when I was going to check out. THREE! On THREE separate occasions. Two didn't know I had paid for a late checkout and one wanted to know when we were leaving. Very annoying.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
lms5367, Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Albany - Downtown, responded to this review, 12 October 2011
Dear valued guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review about our hotel. I am very sorry you feel you had an unpleasant stay - we definitely want our guests to have a good experience when spending time with us and we treat reviews like yours very seriously. They help make us better in how we service our guests.

Please understand that legally we are required to test our fire alarm system periodically throughout each month. We have a hotel policy that in advance of such tests we notify our guests so we don't cause unnecessary panic. We did inform our guests about the test and we apologize if for some reason you didn't receive our notification.

Our hotel has a very high occupancy rate and we try to balance late departure requests with promised arrival times for incoming guests. We accommodate whenever we can but there are situations when this is not possible and we must charge for late departures. We did honor your request for a late check out and I apologize for the interruptions throughout the day.
Cincinnati, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 October 2011

The hotel is very nice, one of the best Hampton Inns i've ever stayed in. The rate was only 111 (for work) and they put me in a suite which was bigger than a lot of apartments ive been in. The breakfast is hot and included. There is a lot near by - restaurants and bars, i like the area. Definately would stay here if i'm ever in Albany again.

G Man

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
lms5367, Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Albany - Downtown, responded to this review, 4 October 2011
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write such a kind review about our hotel! I am very glad you were able to enjoy our breakfast and visit the restaurants and bars downtown! Our suites are very nice as well as our standard rooms. My entire team is very excited for your next stay with us in Albany!
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 September 2011

The hotel promises "warm welcome, comfort and convenience".

I did get a very warm welcome with a smile and a prompt check-in. The lobby area has more charm and style that you would expect from a Hampton Inn. There are large leather chairs and nice tables. Welcoming.

The room was quite spacious and surprisingly well appointed. It had a working desk, a long chair to read, a flat screen TV and free wifi access. The bed was comfortable. It is not a Heavenly Bed, but I had a good night of sleep. The room and bathroom was clean. The bathroom was of a good size. However, it only had a shower cabin and no tub. I know it is a trend in the hotel industry to get rid of the tub, but I still like to soak in bath tub. The air cond was noisy but efficient.

The hotel is well located in downtown Albany just a block off Pear St where there are multiple restaurants and bars. I must say that Sunday night was quiet in downtown Albany ! Parking is easily available.

The breakfast in the morning although offering a nice selection was quite ordinary and not everything on display was the freshest. They could easily do better.

In summary, they live up to what they annonce. I've stayed at more "upscale" hotels that were a lot worst than this hotel. Accomodation done right !

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
lms5367, Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Albany - Downtown, responded to this review, 29 September 2011
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review about the hotel! it means a lot to myself and my entire team when our guests take the time to grade us. I will pass along this review to my entire team so they can know how they are doing!
Half of our rooms do have tubs in the bathroom so the next time you stay with us, just let the front desk know you would prefer a room with a tub and they will take care of you! Thank you again for staying with us and we hope to see you again very soon!