“Great customer service!”

Fairfield Inn & Suites Albany Downtown
Ranked #13 of 50 Hotels in Albany
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 31 January 2012

I needed at room in albany for the night with special attention to an early check-in at 11am.I understand a hotels policy with early check-in, but when rooms are available, make the customer happy. I contacted 74 State and spoke to Mary Ann and was I helped faster, and I was more satisfied, then any other hotel in the area. Thank you for your service!

David Ostellino

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 30 January 2012

If 74 State was located in New York City, it wouldn't compare to the nicer hotels that Manhattan has to offer. Albany though is a wasteland so considering that, this is a very nice hotel. Nice amenities, friendly staff and refreshments in the hotel were all supplied. It is very close to the state Capitol building which is probably the only reason why anyone would go to Albany, so its pretty good overall. The only negative is the price, which is substantially higher than any other hotel in the area.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 28 January 2012

We were in town to attend the Rascal Flatts concert at the Times Union Center, and wanted to stay at hotel close to the facility. The 74 State is just around the corner. It is defined as a "Botique Hotel." What we found was an exceptional establishment, great decor, and all the things a fine hotel would offer. The King room was excellent, very clean, open, with a great bathroom. The low flow shower head was the only sub-par thing we could find. The bar area is very high end with great drinks and a fantastic view through the floor to ceiling windows looking out over State St. While a little expensive, this is a location we will revisit the next time we are in Albany over night, especially for another event.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 December 2011

We have stayed here several times in the last few years while visiting my nephew at a nearby college. This past time was a bit disappointing. The carpets were dirty throughout even in the common areas. The elevator smelled aweful! We had breakfast at Le Marche and were underwhelmed, particularly with the service. At one point hte waiter yelled from the back to ask if we needed anything. We had been so excited to find such a unique and comfortable hotel 3 years ago and were a bit disappointed at the quick decline.

Room Tip: Be sure to ask for a room with a window, particularly if you are claustrophibic . . .
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 November 2011

I was somewhat skeptical after reading some of the reviews prior to booking the room. I will say my personal experience was amazing. I did have an issue with the fireplace. It wouldn't start up. I called and the manager came right up to try and fix it. He was unable to resolve the issue. He contacted maintenance and they came up. When my guest and I arrived back to our room we had a gorgeous fire going. The rooms are spacious and very clean. The king size was bed was comfortable like sleeping on puffy cotton balls :-)
I do wish they had better blinds or curtains for when the sun comes through in the morning. Overall the room was an A. We found parking right near by and didn't use valet. We ate breakfast the following morning at Marche. Vouchers were given to us upon check in. The food there was delicious.
This is for sure a gem amongst the city of Albany. I will definitely stay there again if the opportunity presents itself. No question about it.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DdAndGgsMomma
Reviewed 6 November 2011

relatively good price. Quiet on weekends but quick cab ride to everywhere in Albany. Parking not too bad on weekends. Staff better than ok, gonna be great w time. Room service staff and food very good. Decor cool and retro. Not for kids. Not for complainers. Not for high maintenance. My only real request is ventilation in the bathrooms!

Room Tip: if you stay from sunday into monday you can feed your meter sunday night before bed. do it and sleep...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 6number6
Reviewed 6 November 2011

Albany is not New York (city) and let's not forget this. Boutique hotels don't really exist here and while there is a fun bed and breakfast in the Morgan House over by Washington Park, such place is very much a bed and breakfast with many quirks. So in downtown Albany there are only a few options and all of them are large chains, including this one.

Bearing the above paragraph in mind, this hotel is a good choice if you are staying downtown. The service is above average, though I believe they are students because they do not command a strong knowledge of the downtown area. "Where can I go to grab a bite to eat?" was answered by, "You're in the wrong part of town for that. You would have to drive uptown." I was glad that I had my iphone because directions were not the front desk's strong suit. Still, the front desk clerk was very friendly and also suggested that I grab a burger at the restaurant upstairs (which I did, and which I very much enjoyed).

I checked in and rode the old elevator up to the 8th floor. I mention that it's an old elevator because one reviewer said he felt unsafe in the elevator. Odd. I found it neither that old nor very shaky. When I entered my room, I immediately knew that I would be asking to switch rooms. There was arguably no window in the room, though I suspect the hotel would counter that the sliver of glass (about six inches across) in the very corner of the room would count as a window. Again, the front desk clerk was very nice and sent the bellhop(?) up with a few different keys to different rooms. I was shown 803 and 809. I'm weird, I realize, and I didn't like 803 because the door opened directly onto the bed, which I hate. 809 was a standard room with a regular size window in the corner over the desk. It would be just fine.

The bed was very comfortable and the pillows were very plentiful, so sleep was fantastic. The shower was unremarkable, meaning that it was fine. The bathroom was large, but other than that fact, was also unremarkable. The television, though I never turned it on, was a flat screen hanging on the wall though was very small in comparison to the room. The furnishings and wall hangings had a residential feel, which I enjoyed. While it very much had the layout of a standard hotel room, the furnishings helped make it feel more comfortable and relaxing.

Really the only remarkable thing about the hotel is the restaurant on the second floor. First, it's very warm feeling with a fireplace and wood paneled ceilings and large floor to ceiling windows overlooking State Street. They also have live jazz (that was surprisingly good) on Saturday nights. The menu is broken down into a "fresh" menu in the center and a standard menu on the sides. The standard menu also happens to be the room service menu. I ordered one thing off of both and fell in love with my mushroom tart off the fresh menu. I can still taste it and I am craving a second one in the future. My empanadas off the standard menu appeared to be previously frozen and probably made by stoffers. They were barely edible. I find great humor in that the wording "fresh menu" appears to be very literal.

Last comment is about the view. Unless you stay in a room ending in 01 or 02 (likely referred to as corner rooms) your view will be of an alley way. The 01 and 02 rooms look out onto State Street. I did not have one of these rooms, but if a view is important to you, make sure to book a corner and make sure you get one of these.

Had this hotel been in New York (city), I would have given it two stars, but we can't be in New York, Paris or London constantly, and for Albany, this hotel is probably the best you're going to get unless you're okay with the quirks at the Morgan House.

Room Tip: Book a corner room if a view is important to you.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled solo