“Old Colonial Feel” 4 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersSilver level
Rhinebeck, New York
“Old Colonial Feel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2012

Located conveniently to Albany International Airport and lots of good eateries, and shopping. The Colonial decor makes you feel like you stepped back in time, but with today's conveniences. Fitness room with pool and hot tub. The charming "courtyards", fireplace in the lobby, lots of greenery, well appointed rooms (some with king four-poster beds) that are fairly spacious. Fun "pub" with live music some evenings. Good spot for business meetings and conferences.

Room Tip: The rooms towards the rear of the hotel and on the 4th floor tend to be quieter. If you are looking...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (233)
Berkshires
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 February 2012

Very nice hotel...comfortable next to Albany airport and rates under $150. Has a restaurant and nightclub and there are tons of other restaurants with 1/2 mile

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Swadlincote, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 February 2012

I arrived on a sunday to a country I didnt know , after traveling all day , and arrived in the snow, to a warm welcome from the concierge, who collected me from the airport within 15mins and within an hour I was in a hot bath. The staff were well trained and friendly, cant cope with me getting up earlyer than 6.30 am and I would suggest opening earlyer for breakfast. Other than that the stay ( 5 nights ) was great

Room Tip: M class rooms seem to be bigger ( and are on the ground floor)
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
Medford, New York, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 February 2012

My only concern is need softer pillows...had a hard time sleeping.. but love this Hotel.

Room Tip: You will be extremely happy with your stay here
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
New York, NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 January 2012

I would definitely stay here again. Everything was excellent.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
Albany, NY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 January 2012

I hosted my parents 40th anniversary party here as well as my best friends bridal shower and my daughters baptism celebration. The first two were excellent and well worth the cost. Food was plentiful and outstanding as was the service. Unfortunately my last event, the baptism was not up to expectations. We chose to hold it in their Lodge room just for the intimacy purposes but wished we would have been warned against it. The set-up was odd and left no room for movement which resulted in everyone sitting at their tables until lunch was over and they left. The food was the same price we had paid previously for the bridal shower but was half as much. Could have been due to spacing issues which is understandable but then they should have refilled the dishes as soon as they were empty. The table centerpieces were not out when we all arrived -banquet manager didn't even know we had centerpieces and then spent a decent amount of time looking for them as they were locked up in an office (which they hotel knew about a head of time since it was their idea to store them there). We also asked that all the drinks (soda and coffee) be out when the guests arrived. The only thing out was water and iced tea whe had purchased separately. Nothing big but all the little things add up. Like I said, this was my third event there and I don't know I'm likely to plan anything else there, but I love the atmosphere and before this last time everything had been wonderful.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
DesmondAlbanyGM, General Manager at The Desmond Hotel Albany, responded to this review, 14 February 2012
The Staff of The Desmond prides itself in creating memorable events and helping our guests in the celebration of Life’s special moments. While we are very pleased that the majority of our events have an overwhelmingly positive response, we recognize that we have not pleased this guest. We have researched the issues and reviewed this guest’s comment with our staff to insure the correct service for future events. We are disappointed that this customer was not satisfied with their event and hope that we have an opportunity to make it up to them in the future.
New York, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 January 2012

Stayed for four days on business, I have been waiting to try The Desmond for a while. The rooms are nice, I would not say they are excellent. I had a room with a balcony looking over the courtyard. The TV's were outdated, the furniture was correct to the time period they are attempting to portray. As for conference facilities, they are excellent. The restaurant is another story, i ordered chicken marsala from room service. When I saw the dish I was shocked the, sauce used was not marsala it was a gravy base. the chicken was a little bit overcooked. It was late in the evening and I was tired so I didn't make anything out of it. Overall I would have to rate the Desmond as average, the cost to value is the reason why I rate it average. A little larger room and a kitchen that actually cooked chicken marsala correctly would have gone a long way.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
DesmondAlbanyGM, General Manager at The Desmond Hotel Albany, responded to this review, 1 February 2012
Let me begin by thanking your for choosing our hotel for your conference. We appreciate you taking the time to share your comments about your room and room service dinner. Our Guests comments play a major role in our decisions and the changes we implement. We are disappointed that your room service dinner was not satisfactory, and that the TV in your room was outdated. The Desmond is undergoing renovations of our guest rooms and is installing flat screens TV’s with HD signal throughout the hotel. We also are constantly striving to refine our menus to offer a wonderful room service dining experience, so your feedback is important to us. We value you as a guest and I do want you to know that your concerns are our concerns. Again, thank you for your kind and courteous support. We look forward to your next visit to The Desmond.