“Won't stay again”

Ranked #32 of 50 Hotels in Albany
Ocean Pines, MD
“Won't stay again”
Reviewed 25 August 2011

The place is undergoing some renovations, but it needs a better a lot more than that including staff. It's not clean and the housekeeping is terrible. Requests are not honored or forgotten. They seemed mostly brain dead. I won't stay there again.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank bobsynth

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
New York
Reviewed 14 October 2010

This hotel needs major help. The woman at the desk was very nice and tried to be accommodating, but it is not fair to try to even sell rooms to this hotel. We were paying $69.50 for the night, but they couldn't have paid me to stay there..... We wound up not staying because it was so horrible........ I hope the owners clean this place up.......

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank djc621
Albany, NY
Reviewed 15 September 2010

We stayed at the Howard Johnson Inn on Central Ave. in Albany in August 2010. It has traditionally been a yearly staple of our family for one weekend in the summer. However, last year - for a variety of reasons - we considered not returning. However, we decided to return this year and were quite pleased. There were a lot of good thing things about this trip and no negative issues at all. The pool was excellent and we had no complains at all about the staff and service. The atmosphere outside and around the pool area has a comforting "feel" to it. I would recommend this motel to friends as a sound choice for a centrally located motel with a nice pool and reasonable rates.

• Stayed August 2010
1 Thank VinceF66
Albany, NY
Reviewed 19 August 2009

We have been staying at this motel on one weekend in the summer for the past several years. This year, we felt like it showed signs of going downhill. First of all, our room door got stuck. When we asked for help, the motel employee opened it with some force and then indicated to us that you just need to push it harder. The door was a problem the whole weekend. A bigger problem was the mosquitoes. They were everywhere, and were biting everyone. It was almost impossible to enjoy the outside pool area in the evening (something that we always look forward to) without constantly getting bitten. When we complained to the front desk, the receptionist's response was essentially that mosquitoes are generally out in the evening. Also, there were mosquitoes and spiders in our room. Cleanliness was obviously lacking.

There was one good note. My mom left her watch in the room. When she called, the motel housekeeper had found it and returned it to the front desk. This did very little, however, to make us forget about all the problems. This motel is definitely in need of some significant improvement. We do not plan to return.

• Stayed August 2009
1 Thank VinceF66
georgia
Reviewed 2 September 2008

Hotel is not well maintained, rooms are not well-cleaned. No fitted sheets on the mattress, the sheets come loose as soon as you touch them allowing you to see the appalling number of stains on the mattress. I slept curled in a fetal ball in the middle of the bed hoping to not touch the mattress with any part of my body. Bathroom grout was moldy and poorly maintained. Every room I entered had a bad smell. Identical problems with the breakfast room noted elsewhere - nobody monitors it, so things run out and coffee was frequently empty. The single bright spots are that the owner-family do seem friendly, and the courtyard is nice. in terms of cleanliness, responsiveness, and maintenance, it was the worst hotel stay I've had in a long long time, even though we always stay at low-cost hotels.

• Liked — courtyard
  • Disliked — Filthy
  • Stayed August 2008
2 Thank GeorgiaTraveler88
Montreal
Reviewed 30 July 2007

As soon as we opened the door we noticed this disgusting smell, we tried to air out the room leaving the door open as we looked around but it still smelled. We even bought air freshners but it didn't help. We figured it was the carpets. Then we went into the bathroom and it looked clean however there was this smell, something like curry. Anyhow other than the smell in the room everything else was ok. It is located on a central street and the mall is 2 minutes away. However, I would never stay at his hotel again.

• Liked — It was tidy
  • Disliked — The smell in the room
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled with family
1 Thank samanthasmiles
Cortland, NY
Reviewed 14 October 2006

This hotel is disgusting! When we arrived there was a nice woman on the desk - I believe she was probably part of the family that owned it since her young daughter was behind the counter. The room was FILTHY! The carpet had obviously not been vacumed in a LONG time. There were chunks of things on the carpet. There was a fridge and microwave in the room which was nice - exept that they hadn't been cleaned so they were too disgusting to use. The bathroom was very dirty and I don't think they change the towels after each guest. They were still damp - like they had been used not too long ago. And kind of thrown on the rack. There were obviously used towels on the floor next to the tub! Just gross! It is outdated, but outdated and CLEAN I can live with. This place is the worst of both. It looks like it's surrounded by clean hotels - this place should be torn down. If you are a member of triprewards, don't expect your points from this place either (for me it was the ONLY upside in staying here) when I checked in the clerk took my card and when I checked out - it didn't list me as a member! When I asked that clerk, he told me he was going to put them in! I doubt it, but we'll see! When I complained about the horrid nature of the room the clerk said they would speak to the housekeeper. I saw the "housekeepers" working there are two of them older people that too look like they are family. The woman wears a uniform, the man doesn't. They cleaned 5 rooms in the time it took me to smoke a ciggarette........do the math!!

• Liked — There is NOTHING good about this place!
  • Disliked — Everything.
  • Tips/Secrets — Stay at the Comfort Inn next door, it looks cleaner and appears to have an indoor pool.
  • Stayed September 2006, travelled with family