Howard Johnson Inn - Albany
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
View Hotel
All reviewshard mattressexcellent free breakfasthot itemsnice roomwi fiwhole foodsnice propertyfront desk personnice staynight's sleepbeds were comfortableeasy accessclose to the airportconvenient locationfixturessofamicrowave
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 10 August 2006

When we first arrived, my daughter sat down on the bed and said it was "sandy." I checked the quilt and it did feel like there was sand all over it. Then we went into the bathroom and found the shampoo bottle was half empty. Then we pulled down the covers and found the bed was wet with urine. It was disgusting. They offered to move us to the room next door but my husband checked that bed and it had something else in it, which he said looked like semen. We immediately checked out and demanded our money back.

• Stayed: August 2006, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
3  Thank pinckone
Reviewed 12 December 2005

We were a large group (85 people) and we spent one night at this hotel in September 2005. We had a very nice time and experienced no problems. The staff was frindly. No problems with the cleanliness of the rooms.

• Stayed: September 2005
1  Thank Chorist
Reviewed 12 September 2005

We stayed one night in this motel (thankfully!)
The room was dirty - unvacuumed carpets etc. and very shabby. It was dfficult to determine whether the sheets were clean - mine were covered in hairs. Yuk!
Have stayed in Howard Johnson hotels elsewhere without problems. Really disappointed with this one.

2  Thank nib
A TripAdvisor Member
Myrtle Beach, SC
Reviewed 29 August 2005

I just returned from a 5 night stay at the Howard Johnson's in Albany, NY. I was under the impression that this was a recently renovated hotel, with recently renovated rooms. That is absolutely not true! Their website makes this same claim. I did not arrive in my room until 10:00pm. The room was not clean - carpet needed to be vacuumed, hairs on the bathroom floor, hairs on the back of the toilet tank, soda was sprayed all over the bathroom door.

When I asked for a "renovated room", they gave me 2 keys to two other rooms to look at. Neither room was "renovated" and both were worse than the room I was in. They told me there was nothing they could do since my room was pre-paid.

The entire hotel is VERY OUTDATED and OLD. NOTHING has been done to this hotel. I found 1 room as I walked around the property that was currently being renovated - 1 room.

This was the worst hotel I have ever stayed at - just to save a few bucks. It was not worth it!

2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 15 August 2005

We decided to stay at this hotel at the last minute - we were driving home from Baltimore to Montreal and did not want to drive the last 3 1/2 hours in the rain and darkness of unlit highway. Having been to Albany many times before, I had heard that the rooms at the HoJo had been refurbished and knew that they accepted the Entertainment Card (vs. the Comfort Inn & Suites next door, where we always used to happily stay until they stopped accepting the card). I had stayed at this location many years ago with a friend and it was showing its age back then.
We took 2 connecting rooms (247 & 249). As a previous reviewer showed in pictures, the beds sat on unfinished lumber. Perhaps it's part of the renovations? The carpet in one room looked like it had never benefitted from a vacuum cleaning, and the other just a cursory once-over; a candy bar wrapper from a previous guest was plainly in view on the night-stand shelf; some of the towels were threadbare and virtually hole-y; there was a towel hanging from the hook on the back of the bathroom door which was difficult to tell if it was clean or left by a previous guest. The connecting doors were dirty looking and stained, as was the back of the bathroom door. The piece de resistance was the stained sheet on our 4-yr old's bed - I had him squeeze in with us rather than wonder if it was a yet-to-be-washed or a permanent stain. YUCK. Needless to say, next time we stay in Albany - planned or unplanned - this motel will NOT be under consideration. Until the management wakes up and checks the rooms for cleanliness, updates their bedding and towels, changes the carpets, scrubs the walls and doors, and hires staff that understand what clean looks and smells like, they will get emptier and emptier. It'll serve them right! And shame on the Howard Johnson company for not monitoring the condition and cleanliness of the motels that bear their name more carefully.

2  Thank GetMeOutOfDDO