“Not pleasant!!”

Red Carpet Inn Albany Downtown
Ranked #36 of 50 Hotels in Albany
Reviewed 6 September 2012

We stayed just one night to be close to the airport. Person checking in just before me was charged $10 less, told for the $55 rate he would get a recently renovated room. Well, I paid the $55 plus tax/fees and expected the renovated room. Instead we got a room with buckling ceilings that we thought were going to cave in during the rain that night, a hole in the bathroom door, bugs crawling on the wall early the next morning, peeling paint on woodwork, and definitely not clean. We then had to call the desk for restaurant info as my husband wanted Chinese delivered. The clerk recommended a place, gave us the number, we called and it took 45 minutes for the worst food ever to be delivered. Thats a different review though. I took pictures of the bulging ceiling and the bugs on the wall. Was not worth the money for even one night but unfortunately it was late and I had a very early flight the next morning. Told my husband that next time we would be better off just sleeping in the car! I didn't expect top of the line for $62.70 (total w/tax/fees), but I at least expected clean!!!

Room Tip: Don't stay here at all! Prices are inconsistent and rooms are unsafe & not clean!
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Sanjiv P, Manager at Red Carpet Inn Albany Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 10 September 2012

I am sorry to hear you were not satisfied with your stay. The particular room you had, despite the newer bathroom and furniture, did have the older style tile ceiling. There are however no leaks in the room at all. We would have attempted to move your room if we had notification at the front desk of your concerns. I spoke directly with the clerk who attended to you, and the Chinese restaurant number he gave you was indeed a respected, full service restaurant and not just a delivery-only style restaurant. Again, it is our goal to work with you to ensure a pleasant stay, and would have attampted to do so if given the opportunity.

Reviewed 27 August 2012

Ok, so you get what you pay for. I totally get it.

Cheap - yes.

Sketchy - oh yes.

I've had my share of hotel stays, but this is the very first hotel where I was compelled to sleep with extra-large scissors right by my pillow.

Immediately upon entering the Inn, I breathed in smokey air. I imagined that this was how it must smell like when the smoke area's of Atlantic City casino's are emptied out. The man behind the check-in desk was creepy - he made me uncomfortable - very quiet straight face with the slightest hint of a smirk and looking right at you - like deep eye contact-at-you. Got my room key and walked into a room which also smelled smokey and absolutely musty. Yeah, I could have reported that to the front desk, however when I called the front desk and asked the same man if he had utensils b/c my mother wanted to eat, he had replied, yes, it's in my pocket. Omg, gross and pervy and no, I'm not even joking. Yeah, he was probably only a 70yr old man, but he creeped the hell out of me enough to keep a scissor by my bed - that and the strange "storage" unit the size of a trailer right across my door and pick-up truck parked slanted across two parking spots next to it....my imagination ran wild of all the Jason and Psycho movies I used to see when younger.

Other than that, the room had it's basics. My bed was comfortable enough though the other bed sank low on one side. They did also have a clean refrigerator and microwave as well. The tub and sink were not moldy, but clean - however the shower curtain did have that wet gym clothes smell. The bedding - miraculously they looked clean, however they also had absorbed the smelly must that was in the room.

Check out was better - there was a kind old lady who was prepping the coffee station.

It's a great deal if you're looking for just a place to sleep - but would not recommend as the inn lacked quality air. Extremely musty. The service - I just asked for utensils, which I had to go to the front desk to get from an older man who left me questioning if he was trying to be funny or inappropriate. Oh, and a detail worth mentioning - they obviously have that turn-lock inside locking the doors, but there was no latch....

But yeah, next time, I'm shelling out even an extra $200 if I have to.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
Sanjiv P, Manager at Red Carpet Inn Albany Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 11 September 2012

Thank you for your review and feedback. We strive to keep our guests happy, and these reviews help us in doing so. Just to put your mind at ease concerning some of the things you've mentioned, the fellow who was working at the desk upon your arrival is a long time employee with whom we have had no similar comlaints or comments. He works different shifts and may have been a little tired at the time of your late arrival. Also, the mini storage is currently being used to hold new furniture as we install it in the rooms, and the truck is parked diagonally taking 2 spots in front of it in order to keep guest cars from parking directly in front of its doors. I will look into the smokey smell you mentioned, and can assure you that the "vibe" you got was some sort of miscommunication or misunderstandng between you and the desk clerk. If you however feel differently, please call me directly at our property phone number so we can discuss your concerns. I'm glad you were satisfied with our new bathroom, and able to take advantage of the fridge and microwave.

Reviewed 4 August 2012

Fairly reasonable rates for weekly and longer-term stays. Average nightly rates. Does have some discounts for AAA, senior citizens, and non-weekends. LOUD neighbors, taxi drivers stay here?, as the walls are thin and you can hear evrything and I do mean everything. There was no radio, alarm clock, or dryer. Interesting wall paintings. Large mirror in bathroom. Bed is rock hard. Lots of free parking. I like that it is close to everything- gas, food, downtown, library, and lots of stores. My
Room could have used a good cleaning - the floor/rug was very damp and does not dry up. Maybe it's the a/c or fridge leaking, as I have no idea. Light over bed does not work as the plug looks like it was cut-off. No light in the shower.
The free shampoo/conditioner, ice, couple of nice touches. Phone in room.
I could have use a small desk, and a free outlet or two in the room to power up a cell phone.
Not sure why they would put a family? with lots of kids? on top of me? (2nd floor). What's with the pounding until 1 am?
TV remote could use an upgrade and a new battery. Adult channels would have been a nice option.
Lots of free maps and menus in the lobby. Friendly check-in person and helpful, too.
Smell of smoke ( cigs and dope?) in the hallway is scary esp at night. had to use frebreeze out there.
Overall, I guess you get way you pay for.

Room Tip: I didn't rate swimming pool - i didn't see one. but, the gazebo looks nice in the back. ser...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank dranon
Reviewed 27 July 2012

I'm writing form this hotel using the free wifi. King size bed, clean sheets, unexpected microwave and refrigerator. Larger than expected bathroom. Basic motel room. No complaints. Park at the door for easy unloading. It is a "non smoking room" though it had clearly been smoked in at some time.and there was a faint oder fo the spray used to cover it.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jroihl
Reviewed 26 July 2012

This is a terrible hotel. The sheets have holes from cigarette burns. The second-hand smoke will make your eyes water. Cobwebs are everywhere. The air-conditioning veers between freezing and boiling. The walls are so thin that you can hear fights several rooms away. The best thing about the hotel is that it is on a main road and easy to leave.

Room Tip: Don't come.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank CharlesEW
Reviewed 22 June 2012

First, this motel is not downtown, but on a boulevard (Northern) that will take you into downtown through a sketchy neighborhood. It is right off the major highways (787 and 9) that go through the downtown Albany area so easy access via these routes. This RCI is a large motel property that is next to St. Pete's hospital. There is a Stewart's right across the street which is a stop and go place for food and gas. If one ventured up the street (toward the hospital) and through the light, one would come to a small strip plaza on the left that has anything you might need. There are 2 very good restaurants, Risotto's and Ship's Pub, as well as a pizza place, (I Love NY), a sub place, and a Mom and Pop breakfast/lunch place called David's, which is excellent. There is a bank and a nail salon to boot.
We stay at this motel a lot because our son lives across the street in the apt. complex, so for us it is very convenient for a reasonable price; $55.00 for either a room with 2 doubles or one king. If you have the "Inn" card, you get 10% off. This property does not have a pool but does have a public laundry mat in the front part of the motel. Not sure how busy it is.
That said, we would not normally pick a place like this motel. It is a 2 star place and does have some rather sketchy occupants. The owner has a back building separate from the motel that houses full or semi-time residents in apts. Orig. these apts. were for short term use but the renters apparently didn't leave. There even is a waiting list.
We have never had any issues but security is non-existent. We have noticed that people will use the place for casual overnight "hook ups". People come and go w/o any oversight. Most people are just travelers passing through looking for a reasonable overnight stay. You park outside your room's door, so that can be a bit noisy with people slamming car doors and motel room doors till midnight.
The gazebo in the mornings is filled with residents drinking coffee and smoking cigs. They are characters to be sure-not sure if unsavory. More likely down on their luck, poor, or low level hospital employees.
The motel rooms have secure dead bolt locks on the doors but not the extra chain or V bar you find in some places. The rooms are clean (though quite old) with the bathroom areas being very nicely re-done. That was where the owner put his money. There are nice, new fixtures with new upgraded tile work. You can feel comfortable about the cleanliness in those areas. There are clean towels and you do get small bars of soap and packets of shampoo from India, no less. Most rooms(?) have a small frig and microwave which we enjoy. Rooms are a good size and have a table and 2 chairs in them along with the usual bedroom furnishings. Lighting was also good. There are built in hair dryers. There is coffee service in the mornings in the lobby but it is strictly cut off at 9 AM. Cable TV is expanded with loads of channels to watch. Air cond. works well though quite noisy. Beds are pretty comfy, low to the ground, though the pillows are fairly flat. They will provide you with more pillows and towels if you ask at the front desk. Depending on who is working, the front desk personnel can be friendly or not. Nice lobby area and check in/out easy. Maid service is not consistent. We have been told with multiple day stays you get service every other day. And that held out till the past visit where we got service each day. Things that could be improved upon are room maintenance issues. We usually stay in the same room. There is a water stain in the ceiling that has never been repaired. The walls have marks and yet in the 2 yrs. we have been staying here, no painting has occurred. The owner seems nice and is trying to make a go of it, so we hope he will attend to more renovations of the rooms as time and money allows.

Room Tip: Rooms on back side are away from the road and get less street noise.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lorraine M
Reviewed 13 June 2012

Pretty depressing and run down, but the rooms were clean (except for the one hair I found on my sheets and the one hair I found on the wall in the shower), the beds were comfortable enough, and the heat, TV, wifi, microwave and fridge all worked well.

A lot of the guests live there semi-permanently, and I heard from a couple cab drivers that they tend to be pretty unsavory characters. But in the three nights I was there none of them ever bothered me, and my cab drivers were openly racist and classist, so take that detail with a grain of salt.

The guy at reception wasn't particularly welcoming.

There's hardly anywhere to eat w/in walking distance. I ate at the hospital cafeteria down the road (seriously). But there's always delivery.

Note: This place is *not* downtown. The other RCI is. I think Tripadvisor confused the two.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Albany
3.4 km away
7.2 km away
Cocca's Inns & Suites Albany Airport
8.5 km away
Americas Best Value Inn - E Greenbush / Albany

Been to Red Carpet Inn Albany Downtown? Share your experiences!