All reviews haeundae beach the executive lounge ocean view dongbaek island jogging track famous beach south korea bit dated located right an upgrade business trip lounge area breakfast buffet is five star hotel fantastic location coffee shop starwood
Reviewed May 31, 2011

Just completed a 3-night stay here in May 2011 and really enjoyed the property. As an SPG Platinum I was upgraded to a beautiful ocean view suite overlooking Haeundae beach. We were also given the priviledge of lounge access. The breakfast in the lounge was excellent. The evening lounge happy hour featured complimentary drinks and appetizers. The lounge staff was extremely friendly and even allowed us to stay almost 30 min after they closed without even saying a word! They were always very attentive and made sure everything was taken care of.

The location at this property is its best feature. An short walk to the beach and a very enjoyable walking/jogging path behind the hotel. I highly encourage anyone staying here to take 30 min to walk through the path (which goes by the APEC center).

The fitness center is large with most of the treadmills having a personal TV. I also used the free weights which offer a good variety.

Overall the service here is excellent, and I have no complains whatsoever in that area. My only compliant is that they offer Milton and not Aveda products in the suites (I would prefer Aveda), but I guess Milton is considered higher quality? Also, they don't offer wireless access, but we were provided a computer to use in the suite. Not sure if standard rooms include the computer, but be sure that you have a ethernet port if you need to use a computer during your stay.

Bottom line we really enjoyed our stay and will definitely return on our next trip to Busan.

Date of stay: May 2011
1  Thank volkswankin
Reviewed May 10, 2011

This is Westin so no doubt on service, location, quality etc. however, I would like to highlight on hotel location as right in front of beach & great view toward Dongbaek island where you can watch great night view!
I stayed at Executive Club room so had an access to Club lounge with other services...but this was only thing that I do not like! Always packed with people and timid space both Breakfast/Happy hour.
Plus points are Free Nespresso, Free Sauna and Free internet (even PC is equipped in room) but i wanted to relax at lounge so hotel need to fix this otherwise i will not stay at Club floor any more...
Good sleep with Heavenly bed/bath are alway great in Westin!

Date of stay: May 2011
Reviewed April 13, 2011

Nice hotel at end of the beach which leads to a small little island. i like the lobby and the cafe / lounge facing the beach.

Loved the Nespresso machine and free internet. i didnt like the club lounge on the 9th floor as it was very small and there were lots of people in the morning. The breakfast buffet is better @ the ground level.

They also have an Irish bar call O'Kims (found the name weird) which was pleasant.

The club room was simple, i found it a little small... the toilet was really small. It was recently refurbished.

Date of stay: April 2011
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
1  Thank Donaldis
Reviewed March 25, 2011

Beautiful hotel, great location on the beach, close to public transportation, and in walking distance to some great places to eat and bars. It is pricey but worth it! If you are traveling by train into Busan station take the 1003 local bus to the Westin it will drop you off right in front of the hotel for only 1, 800 Won.

Date of stay: March 2011
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
2  Thank 896tracye
Reviewed March 23, 2011

I have stayed at this hotel a few times before when visiting Busan. Based on my satisfaction from those prior visits, I decided to head back again once more. I took this trip with a girlfriend to get out of Seoul for a night and refresh ourselves next to the beach. After a quick trip on the KTX and a cab ride from Busan Station, we were being dropped off at the lobby for check-in.

I decided to cash in some Starwood points for this night's stay. They have been piling up for a while now and I thought I should take the opportunity to use them instead of saving them forever. Upon check-in, the process went smoothly enough. I felt a slight coolness from the staff at the desk and I couldn't tell if that was because I was staying the night on points or if that was the attitude that came with the hotel. I didn't recall any issues from prior visits, so I chalked it up to my using points for the stay.

They gave us a room on the 5th floor, and it did the job. I wasn't blown away, but it was clear I was given a minimal room for the stay. I had opted for a beach side view and that was honored on their part. The best feature about this hotel is its location on the edge of Haeundae Beach. Rooms facing towards the beach can't be beat, and you miss out on your stay here if you don't get a beach facing room. One mark against this hotel is the lack of a balcony for all rooms. I don't remember if the rooms had them on my prior stays, and I didn't bother to look to check other floors, but having a balcony would allow guests to soak in the view and ambiance of the area. The hotel was built in 1978, and remodeled in 2003. You get a sense of both of those at this hotel. The '78 is obvious from looking at this hotel from the outside. It is definitely smaller than any hotel would be at this location were it built today, and the color seems to have faded from years of exposure to the sun.

I was feeling a bit under the weather, so we rested in the room until dinner time. We scouted out a good Korean BBQ restaurant at the other end of Haeundae (featured on the map provided in the rooms), so despite the chilly temperatures, we walked down to the restaurant and enjoyed a good meal of bulgoki and kalbi. On the return trip, we stopped by Gecko's for a beer and french fries, before hitting a convenience store for some drinks. We returned to the hotel and decided to pay a visit to O'Kim's, the Westin's attempt at putting a Korean twist on an Irish bar. They seemed to pull it off ok. There was a live band featuring a female Philippine singer and a male Philippine guitarist (standard entertainment offerings in any upscale hotel in Asia... not a compliant, more of an observation as the groups are usually excellent). They were pretty good and kept the mood alive in the bar. We treated ourselves to a fruit plate with some beers and mixed drinks. The bar is pricey, as the fruit and drinks came out to around $80, but it seemed a good idea at the time.

The next day, I intended to hit the gym, but still feeling under the weather, we opted to go to a local restaurant for some soup (Duiji kukbab) and breads from a shop named Ops. Upon check out, there was an errant charge from the room mini bar that, after some back and forth with the front desk clerk, was taken off of our bill. Before getting into the taxi, we headed a bit up the hill next door to a park area known for hosting international events such as APEC. The park was nice with a paved jogging trail, restricted vehicular traffic, and picnic areas set up along the trail. There were more than a few people out enjoying the good weather and nice views, and I found myself wishing I was feeling well so I could have enjoyed a morning jog.

Overall, this hotel remains the place to stay when visiting Haeundae in Busan. However it is definitely not living up to its potential. They should seriously consider adding balconies to the rooms upon their next renovation and improving the outward appearance of this landmark on the beach.

Date of stay: March 2011