Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
veggiejeonju
Jeonju, South Korea

Excellent experience

5.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed Jan 5, 2012
There are very few places in Korea where you can experience staying in a hanok. You can also stay in a hanok in Seoul but the price will be at least double. You sleep on a traditional yo mattress on the floor so it is a hard mattress but it is a unique experience and while I would not want to use one permanently, it is fine for a few days. The owner speaks excellent English and pointed out how to get to the museums, etc on a map. There is a computer in the common area and at night you can meet other people traveling there. Free breakfast - Toast, eggs, coffee and tea. While I arrived I walked past the turn to Sarangchae and couldn't find it so I called the owner for directions and he insisted on going to the where I was to pick me up. I can't say enough about how kind the owners are. The website is http://www.kjstay.com/content_eng/iboard.cgi
Date of stay: August 2011
  • Trip.com
11.9 km from Sa Rang Chae Guesthouse
Restaurant
View more hotels in Gyeongju
See what travellers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed November 28, 2011

I traveled here with my husband and brother for 2 nights in April 2011. The hosts were very accommodating with the fact that we had 3 guests, and for $13/person after all was said and done, you can't beat it! I loved sleeping on the heated floors (and I prefer a hard mattress, so thick blankets on the floor was fine with me), and according to my brother's Korean girlfriend, this is exactly like her grandpa's house and traditional Korean living. Each room had its own private bathroom and shower with hot water, and the common area of the hotel was extremely awesome by having water cooler/hot water, dishes to use/share, wifi, game tables, and a computer for checking email/flights. The grounds are beautifully landscaped; you can choose whether you want your stay to be social or private depending on where you hang out in the house, though I loved getting to know other travelers in the common space. The hotel is right next to a public park and within walking distance to restaurants and markets.

Date of stay: April 2011
1  Thank kkcritch
Reviewed November 15, 2011

Seriously I like it. But my hb complain the room too small n no tv inside the room. But the thin mattress really killing us. Bathroom size is almost the same size as the room.... the location is great, walking distance to most of the areas. Owner kindly explained the way how to go bulguksa. N call cab for us when we checkout that time.

Date of stay: October 2011
2  Thank davinci_maggie
Reviewed November 5, 2011

Sa Rang Chae is the perfect way to have a close view to what the Korean living way is, there you can enjoy a pleasant stay in a floor heated wood house with paper made walls and all. It looks strange but even in winter is perfect when there is snow outside, you can sleep onthe floor, which is heated, over a nice mutton like bed, It is a little bit hard for people not used to it like me, I sleep in a bed, not on the floor but it is not that hard for a couple of nights. I highly recommend this place for a quirk experience.

Date of stay: March 2011
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
1  Thank Eusko
Reviewed October 9, 2011

Very good price and easy walking distance to historical sites and the trendy downtown area.

Very small, simple rooms for nothing but sleeping, but a great courtyard and kitchen for socializing. It has a nice traditional look and good atmosphere. The floor heating was great for sleeping on the floor on chilly fall nights. However, you can hear everything through the walls so you don't get much of a feeling of privacy.

Free eggs, toast, and jam for breakfast and instant coffee or tea all day.The owners provided us with convenient maps and directions for sightseeing. One night, he made a bonfire and played us his bamboo flute.

Date of stay: October 2011
1  Thank ToadXer
Reviewed October 2, 2011

This hanok-style guesthouse is cheap and cheerful. We slept in one of the ondol rooms, which meant a windowless tiny room only just big enough for the thin sleeping pad (we couldn't even put our suitcase horizontally on the floor), and an attached en suite bathroom, which was not glamourous but was fine. Our room opened out onto a courtyard where you can eat breakfast, and as other reviewers say, tea, bread, jam, butter, and eggs are provided free of charge. The location is convenient for Tumuli Park and the observatory; slightly less so for the bus/train stations or the town centre, but all are in walking distance. We'd planned to stay longer but found the sleeping pad so uncomfortable (even when we'd persuaded the nice owners to give us four!) that we left early. Ondol sleeping is clearly not for everyone - we had some sleepless nights, and when the room is so tiny, it's particularly frustrating. Note they don't provide towels. I was able to pick up free wifi, and they also have free use of a computer in the main house (next to where the breakfast things are kept).

Date of stay: September 2011