Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
happytraveler97520
Ashland, OR

Wonderful experience

4.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed Feb 3, 2012
4 of us stayed at the Sa Rang Chae Guesthouse, in two rooms. We slept comfortably on the heated floor. They provided sleeping mats, quilts, linens and we had our own bathrooms. We met friendly people in the communal kitchen, and the owners were so nice. Two friendly dogs allowed us to pet and play with them. And we all dressed in hanboks for a fun picture taking.

I'd definitely recommend this place again.
Date of stay: January 2012
26.3 km from Sa Rang Chae Guesthouse
    C$225
7.2 km from Sa Rang Chae Guesthouse
View more hotels in Gyeongju
See what travellers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed January 8, 2012

This is a nice place, though quite basic, and provides a good feel for traditional Korea living. It is ideal for those who travel on a shoestring budget, as the price of the rooms is very modest (about 20 dollars per night for a room with a bathroom) and one can cook one's own meals in the shared kitchen. The owners are very friendly and helpful, and speak English. The guesthouse is located right in the middle of the old town, next to the Tumuli Park, which is very convenient. It is not that easy to find though, so be sure to print out the helpful map posted on their website. One drawback is that if the neighbours are noisy, you hear them all to well, but that is part of the experience.

Date of stay: January 2012
3  Thank Seasondtraveller
Reviewed January 5, 2012

There are very few places in Korea where you can experience staying in a hanok. You can also stay in a hanok in Seoul but the price will be at least double. You sleep on a traditional yo mattress on the floor so it is a hard mattress but it is a unique experience and while I would not want to use one permanently, it is fine for a few days. The owner speaks excellent English and pointed out how to get to the museums, etc on a map. There is a computer in the common area and at night you can meet other people traveling there. Free breakfast - Toast, eggs, coffee and tea. While I arrived I walked past the turn to Sarangchae and couldn't find it so I called the owner for directions and he insisted on going to the where I was to pick me up. I can't say enough about how kind the owners are. The website is http://www.kjstay.com/content_eng/iboard.cgi

Date of stay: August 2011
1  Thank veggiejeonju
Reviewed November 28, 2011

I traveled here with my husband and brother for 2 nights in April 2011. The hosts were very accommodating with the fact that we had 3 guests, and for $13/person after all was said and done, you can't beat it! I loved sleeping on the heated floors (and I prefer a hard mattress, so thick blankets on the floor was fine with me), and according to my brother's Korean girlfriend, this is exactly like her grandpa's house and traditional Korean living. Each room had its own private bathroom and shower with hot water, and the common area of the hotel was extremely awesome by having water cooler/hot water, dishes to use/share, wifi, game tables, and a computer for checking email/flights. The grounds are beautifully landscaped; you can choose whether you want your stay to be social or private depending on where you hang out in the house, though I loved getting to know other travelers in the common space. The hotel is right next to a public park and within walking distance to restaurants and markets.

Date of stay: April 2011
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank kkcritch
Reviewed November 15, 2011

Seriously I like it. But my hb complain the room too small n no tv inside the room. But the thin mattress really killing us. Bathroom size is almost the same size as the room.... the location is great, walking distance to most of the areas. Owner kindly explained the way how to go bulguksa. N call cab for us when we checkout that time.

Date of stay: October 2011
2  Thank davinci_maggie
Reviewed November 5, 2011

Sa Rang Chae is the perfect way to have a close view to what the Korean living way is, there you can enjoy a pleasant stay in a floor heated wood house with paper made walls and all. It looks strange but even in winter is perfect when there is snow outside, you can sleep onthe floor, which is heated, over a nice mutton like bed, It is a little bit hard for people not used to it like me, I sleep in a bed, not on the floor but it is not that hard for a couple of nights. I highly recommend this place for a quirk experience.

Date of stay: March 2011