Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
Stuart W
North Yorkshire, United Kingdom

Wonderful stay.

5.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed Jun 4, 2012
I spent two nights at Sa Rang Chae Guesthouse and seriously considered changing my itinerary to stay longer.

A traditional guest house, that requires you to sleep on a thin mattress on the floor, which proved comfortable enough. The walls are thin so be prepared for to overhear your neighbour. My room had it's own toilet and shower both of which worked well but some rooms share a toilet/shower block. I'm in my 50's but felt a definite student atmosphere to the place. Breakfast is provided in the form of bread, butter, jam and eggs which you cook yourself in a communal kitchen. This area also has a computer allowing internet access but free wi-fi was also provided. Meals can be eaten in the shared dining room or outside at tables where guests often congregated. There is a shared fridge, complete with sticky labels to mark your food. Departing guests often left stuff behind labelled 'free,' it was that sort of place. I think the house is well known for its dogs, one friendly, one less so, both clearly very used to having their photographs taken!

The owners were usually available, spoke reasonable English and proved happy to help with tourist advise, booking taxis or on one occasion give a lift (free.) They provide a washing service and laundered, but didn't iron, a basket of clothes for 5,000 won

The house practically borders a park holding a number of royal tombs, is about 10 minutes walk from the observatory. I'd estimate it at 15 minutes walk from the bus station, we arrived by train and the taxi fare to the house was 2,900 won (say £1.50) There are lots of shops and cheap restaurants within 5 minutes walk.

It was the cheapest place I stayed in Korea, my two nights and and one load of laundry costing 55,000 won (approx £27.50) we had booked two rooms so do not know if this led to a reduced rate. Most of my holiday was set in cities, all having a frantic pace of life, Sa Rang Chae was quiet, still and by far the most relaxing place I encountered in Korea. In the evening it was lovely to sit in the main courtyard with a couple of beers (purchased externally) and relax.
Date of stay: May 2012
  • Trip.com
11.9 km from Sa Rang Chae Guesthouse
Restaurant
View more hotels in Gyeongju
See what travellers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed February 3, 2012

4 of us stayed at the Sa Rang Chae Guesthouse, in two rooms. We slept comfortably on the heated floor. They provided sleeping mats, quilts, linens and we had our own bathrooms. We met friendly people in the communal kitchen, and the owners were so nice. Two friendly dogs allowed us to pet and play with them. And we all dressed in hanboks for a fun picture taking.

I'd definitely recommend this place again.

Date of stay: January 2012
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed January 8, 2012

This is a nice place, though quite basic, and provides a good feel for traditional Korea living. It is ideal for those who travel on a shoestring budget, as the price of the rooms is very modest (about 20 dollars per night for a room with a bathroom) and one can cook one's own meals in the shared kitchen. The owners are very friendly and helpful, and speak English. The guesthouse is located right in the middle of the old town, next to the Tumuli Park, which is very convenient. It is not that easy to find though, so be sure to print out the helpful map posted on their website. One drawback is that if the neighbours are noisy, you hear them all to well, but that is part of the experience.

Date of stay: January 2012
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
3  Thank Seasondtraveller
Reviewed January 5, 2012

There are very few places in Korea where you can experience staying in a hanok. You can also stay in a hanok in Seoul but the price will be at least double. You sleep on a traditional yo mattress on the floor so it is a hard mattress but it is a unique experience and while I would not want to use one permanently, it is fine for a few days. The owner speaks excellent English and pointed out how to get to the museums, etc on a map. There is a computer in the common area and at night you can meet other people traveling there. Free breakfast - Toast, eggs, coffee and tea. While I arrived I walked past the turn to Sarangchae and couldn't find it so I called the owner for directions and he insisted on going to the where I was to pick me up. I can't say enough about how kind the owners are. The website is http://www.kjstay.com/content_eng/iboard.cgi

Date of stay: August 2011
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
1  Thank veggiejeonju
Reviewed November 28, 2011

I traveled here with my husband and brother for 2 nights in April 2011. The hosts were very accommodating with the fact that we had 3 guests, and for $13/person after all was said and done, you can't beat it! I loved sleeping on the heated floors (and I prefer a hard mattress, so thick blankets on the floor was fine with me), and according to my brother's Korean girlfriend, this is exactly like her grandpa's house and traditional Korean living. Each room had its own private bathroom and shower with hot water, and the common area of the hotel was extremely awesome by having water cooler/hot water, dishes to use/share, wifi, game tables, and a computer for checking email/flights. The grounds are beautifully landscaped; you can choose whether you want your stay to be social or private depending on where you hang out in the house, though I loved getting to know other travelers in the common space. The hotel is right next to a public park and within walking distance to restaurants and markets.

Date of stay: April 2011
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank kkcritch
Reviewed November 15, 2011

Seriously I like it. But my hb complain the room too small n no tv inside the room. But the thin mattress really killing us. Bathroom size is almost the same size as the room.... the location is great, walking distance to most of the areas. Owner kindly explained the way how to go bulguksa. N call cab for us when we checkout that time.

Date of stay: October 2011