1,741 results
All reviews breeze restaurant frangipani restaurant chatters bar sri lanka superior room a la carte restaurant dinner buffet great beach beautiful resort the ground floor special thanks pool staff front office palm trees seafood restaurant staff welcome drink
Reviewed 5 weeks ago

We arrived after 4.30pm to find one of our rooms was not ready however there was a short wait until our room became available. We stayed in a luxury double seaside which was very spacious. The down side was that it was next to an amenities/bar area that had entertainment some evenings and therefore watching TV or trying to sleep was a little difficult in the evening. The hotel was not full as there was refurbishments happening so the heated pool (one of three) was not busy and at times there would only be us in the pool which could also be adjusted in temperature if it was too hot. We chose buffet dining the three nights we were there and were not disappointed except for the last night when they had a Mongolian BBQ and traditional curry on offer but because the BBQ not set up efficiently (meaning one cook top was much slower than the other) and logistics for getting food from the kitchen to the BBQ were not practical there was some waiting time involved for food. I must say the head chef was really great and on request he cooked us some pork chops that were not on the menu two nights in a row and they were delicious! Overall this place has a lot of potential and you can see that there is a lot of effort going into the resort to promote it. John who had just started managing "The Loft' roof top bar is from the UK and is busy with promoting it. The bar is in a super location overlooking the resort and the ocean although logistics in getting to it could be improved as well as signage. Breakfast was excellent! The staff were very helpful and the internet was satifactory. The beach was too dangerous to swim in but the pools were enough. I would recommend Avani to future travelers.

Stayed: August 2018
1  Thank JodeeL
Daviddesilvaavani, Operations Manager at AVANI Bentota Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Hello Jodeel,

Thank you so very much for taking the time to write such a detailed review of the time spent at our resort. It was an absolute delight to learn that overall you had a fantastic stay with us.

Thank you also for your recommendations in the areas where we could improve which are being looked into.

Thank you for the recommendation and for having selected to stay with us on this trip and we hope you will visit us again on your next visit to Sri Lanka.

Reviewed September 11, 2018

Room was spacious and comfortable; being on the ground floor there was easy access to pool and beach. Some areas of hotel could do with some modernisation but on the whole the building has character and charm. We ate from the buffet and enjoyed the food. Staff in restaurant and housekeeping were polite. We felt unhappy about the standard of service from staff members on reception - both on check-in and then on check-out. We brought this to the attention of the manager who was apologetic. I feel further training for staff or a reminder of the importance of customer service would be beneficial. It has been a while since our stay so these improvements may have already been made. I hope so!

• Stayed: February 2018, travelled as a couple
Daviddesilvaavani, Operations Manager at AVANI Bentota Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded September 11, 2018

Hello Leighj1975,

Firstly thank you for having selected to spend your holiday at our resort and for taking the time to share a review of the time spent. It was a pleasure to know that overall you enjoyed the time spent with us.

The AVANI Bentota Resort is a Geoffrey Bawa designed hotel that was built on the theme of an 18th century Dutch Seaside Village and as such I would agree with you, it has it's own charm not to mention character. The resort has been extensively renovated over the years whilst retaining it's original character to a great extent.

In fact we have just completed refurbishing all 75 rooms and suite, all public spaces and the main swimming pool as well which has been newly tiled and fitted with a brand new deck for the comfort and satisfaction of all our guests.

Glad to note that you enjoyed the ground floor rooms, the beach, the buffet and the cuisine on offer. I was rather disappointed to learn about the service at the Front Desk and I have asked our Front Office Manager to look into this area.

We hope you will visit us again on your next visit to Sri Lanka.

Reviewed September 11, 2018

Firste of all, let me say this. I'm not the person that is making a sport of writing bad reviews. But in this case I don't have any other possibility as I don't get any feedback from Avani hotel Bentota. Yes , the location in nice (but there are a lot of nice locations in Sri Lanka). Room was good (though there was some bad smell) Pool was oke (but very warm). And if you were going outside the hotel(or the beach, or the entrance), you are being adressed with persons (for tuk-tuk, for excursions). But I suppose that you have this at more hotels at the westcoast. This are no major problems.
We arrived the last weekend of august for 2 nights at this hotel (after a fantastic tour of 3 weeks in Sri Lanka) for some relaxing lst days
First unpleasant surprise : the day before our arrive an amount of 544 euro was charged from our credit card, though our booking confirmation mentioned an amount 415 euro.
We mentioned it at our arrival and they wouldn't believe it, though I had the email with the booking confirmation.
At our last evening, we had a long discussion with Mr Chumara from the reception desk (more than an hour) how we should settle this.
We agreed that the amount of 544euro would be refunded and the other amount of 415 euro should be charged (with the necessary documents) on our credit card.
2nd unpleaseant surprise : a few days ago we discovered that the other amount of 415€ was also charged and that the amount of 544€ has not been refunded.
3rd unpleaseant surprise : I made 3 mails to the general email address of the hotel and I even don't get an answer from them. Very very unprofessional.
I can only hope that they will refund it as soon as possible

• Stayed: August 2018, travelled with family
4  Thank held70
Daviddesilvaavani, Operations Manager at AVANI Bentota Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded September 12, 2018

Dear Guest,

Greetings from the AVANI Bentota Resort and may I take this opportunity to first thank you for having selected to stay with us during the last leg of your holiday in Sri Lanka. Also please do accept my most sincere apologies for not having met most of your expectations during your recent stay with us.

Thank you for appreciating the location, the room and the pool. We have just completed redesigning the main swimming pool which has now been newly tiled and fitted with a completely new deck for the comfort and satisfaction of all our guests.

My apologies if the vendors and locals outside the outside and on the beach bothered you with their tours and other services. The hotel has absolutely no control over them however a polite yet firm NO usually works I am told.

I have checked with regard to the refund of the € 544 and I have been advised by our Finance department that the amount in question has already been processed from our end and it should take app 7-10 working days to be credited to your card. Unfortunately this credit refund cannot be processed at the Front Desk and can be done only via our local bank. The actual charge of € 415 was charged as it was for the payment for your stay with us. My apologies for the delay taken and may I kindly request if you will recheck with your bank and let me know once the amount has been credited. You have my gracious assurance that the refund has been done.

On another note could you kindly met me know to which email address you sent the emails as I definitely agree with you that they should have been responded to.

Thank you once again for having selected to stay with us and I trust that your previous experience will not deter you from visiting us again. I look forward to hearing from you.

Reviewed September 9, 2018

We (family) were here for a one day stay with office mates as team. Nice pool and beautiful clean beach was great experiences. We were not satisfied with the food since there was not many selections on the day we went and could be improved further. We have visited in a previous occasion and at that time food was extremely good. However the service was excellent. All the staff were friendly and accommodating. There were lot of guests around but the atmosphere was perfect. Rooms are clean and spacious.

There were lot of indoor games available for both adults and kids and kids were enjoying most of games and it was a great experience for them.

• Stayed: September 2018, travelled with friends

Hello Thushara,

I was delighted to read that you and the family had such an enjoyable time during your stay with us and that the team looked after you well. Thank you for your great comments on our Hotel, which are truly appreciated. Glad to also note that the kids enjoyed the indoor games.

Thank you also for your feedback about the food which I have passed onto our Executive Sous Chef to look into.

We hope you will visit us again sometime.

Reviewed September 9, 2018 via mobile

We enjoyed our honeymoon stay at avani Bentota hotel. This hotel was recommended to us by a friend of Mr Subash and we are glad we came. The food was extremely good and the service was excellent. All the staff were friendly and accommodating. There were not many guests around but the atmosphere was perfect.. Thank you Subash and all staff at avani for making our stay memorable. Highly recommended

Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple
Daviddesilvaavani, Operations Manager at AVANI Bentota Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 5 weeks ago

Hello Udara,

Thank you for sharing such a lovely review of your stay at our resort and we are delighted that you selected to spend your honeymoon with us.

It was great to know that you enjoyed the food and the service. I will definitely convey your kind sentiments to Subash and the rest of the team. Thank you for recommending our hotel.

All of us at the AVANI Bentota resort wish you and your wife a very happy wedded life and much happiness in the years to come.