2,503 results
All reviews cafe bem the river pool bar sri lanka thai restaurant water sports suan bua a short boat ride all inclusive package half board different theme kids club indian ocean room boy large pool jet ski main restaurant
Reviewed September 19, 2018

Overall good stay reception good helping clean room good variety in breakfast and dinner some issue for housekeeping to be provided 24/7 especially at night as property is huge overall good stay and would recommend

• Stayed: September 2018, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Centara Hotels & Resorts
Maxi W, Manager at Centara Ceysands Resort & Spa Sri Lanka, responded to this reviewResponded September 21, 2018

Dear Zeesal,

Thank you for your review following your recent stay at Centara Ceysands Resort & Spa Bentota.

We appreciate your encouraging comments on our services and facilities.

Whilst thanking you for sharing your positive feedback and we look forward to having you with us back again.

Reviewed September 18, 2018

My wife and myself have just returned from a 10 night stay at the wonderful Centara Ceysands Resort & Spa.
We arrived after the long journey from the UK (including the 2hr transfer from the airport), to be greeted with a welcome juice drink and a view of the hotel across the river. The final five minute transfer to the hotel by boat is quite novel, even if you're not feeling your best from the travelling.
We had been in our room only a short while when we identified a couple of issues, which we were debating when there was a knock at the door and we were asked if we had settled in and were happy with everything. We decided to mention the issues we had seen and immediately we were told they would see what could be done. Within minutes we were given two options one of which was a room change, with the offer to check the new room to see if we were happy (which my wife did), and we and our belongings were swiftly transferred to the new room (3304) - fully satisfied and appreciative. Thank you so much everyone concerned for your great service.
The hotel is in our opinion excellent. The staff are both courteous and hardworking. From what we could see this covered all areas from front of house through to maintenance and cleaning (there were always people sweeping and repairing - now I don't make a habit of reviewing or photographing toilets, but in this case the toilets by the jewellery store were lovely. Always clean with a scent burner going, even if not required and fresh flowers - management please thank all the team!).
We were on an all inclusive package (unusually for us), this included breakfast, lunch and evening meal in the buffet. We have stayed in hotels of all classifications around the world and the food here was up with the best. A very good choice with emphasis on local and Asian fare (which is how it should be - I want a flavour of where I am, not a bland universal offering, and if you want fish and chips or full English - go to Blackpool!). There was always an offering of fresh fruit, which had incredible taste, as you may expect, also soup, salad, breads and a lovely selection of curries, our meal of choice. There were also pasta and other options if curry isn't your thing. There was also a very nice desert selection.
There are also two a la carte restaurants, which if you are on all inc you have a 2000lkr credit pp against the main menu per visit, or there is the chef’s daily set menu which is foc on all inc. Although they will adapt that a bit if you ask, for example, my wife prefers vegetarian dishes and they accommodated that. Both the nice and open 360 and the smaller Suan Bua Thai restaurants offer excellent food and service (Thanks to staff at both for looking after us so well).
I have seen various reviews saying the food is not good and I know you can't please everyone all the time, but from our opinion, we couldn't fault it.
The hotel has a nice layout, lying between the river and the beach on a spur of land stretching up from Bentota. While we were there it did not feel busy or overcrowded. There were always sunbeds available and none of that getting up at dawn to reserve a bed nonsense. The pool attendants are friendly and helpful, always grateful of a tip, but I don't think it makes a difference to the service much as we didn't always. The pool is a nice size, a constant 4ft depth if I recall and warm. There is a pool bar with good service offering a variety of drinks. I'm not a big drinker and my wife doesn't drink so the offerings were fine for us, the local beer is nothing outstanding but okay. I have seen mention in reviews of the all inc cocktails being a bit syrupy and sweet, and I would agree with that - they could be improved.
Our room was very nice and spacious with a view over the river. It had a glass partitioned shower/basin/toilet arrangement in a wet room style. There was also a large double bed and sofa (as opposed to the two doubles in our original room), and a small balcony. It was kept lovely and clean by Asela, our room attendant (The term ‘room boy’ seems a bit colonial imo). Thank you so much Asela, especially for your towel animal presentations
We met Nigel, the local travel company rep, who was very helpful, knowledgeable and friendly, offering good advice and tips. We did book our excursions through Nigel (£60pp for a one day Galle trip and £220pp for two day Kandy/Sigiriya/Dambulla trip), although you can use other sources - every tuktuk / taxi / randomer will offer to be your guide. Just beware there are good and bad out there. The site is well patrolled with security, but there is a track that runs between the hotel and the beach where locals hang around trying to sell trips, clothing rugs etc. Generally they didn't bother us, but they do try to engage with you although they don't encroach on the hotel. Exiting the hotel via the river you leave through manned gates to the local town of Aluthgama, there you will find tuktuk drivers offering their services, which you can negotiate fares. We chose to walk in to see the local Monday market, but we found this experience spoiled by the fact that we were targeted/followed by various individuals who wanted to engage with us offering to direct us to the market or show us a certain shop or such. They seem to work in teams as soon as we shook off one another was there, shame as their intentions weren't clear and I found I was constantly looking over my shoulder. We did make it to the market, but it unsettled my wife and it wasn't the pleasant experience we have had in other destinations. Don't want to put people off getting out and experiencing the world outside the hotel, just be aware. We did go to Columbo by train, that was a great experience and we weren't hassled in Columbo at all.
In all we had a great time in Sri Lanka and the hotel is fabulous and we would recommend it.

Room Tip: Top floors have great views, river side is probably quieter. Make use of A la carte restaurants if on all inclusive.
  • Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Graham-A-Devon

Dear Graham-A-Devon,

Thank you for your valuable feedback following your recent visit to our resort.

It’s always a pleasure to receive feedback of this nature and to know our team members made your experience so memorable!

Whilst thanking you for sharing your positive feedback and we look forward to having you with us back soon again.

Reviewed September 18, 2018 via mobile

I stayed for 3 nights after touring Sri Lanka. The hotel is set between the river and the beach.

The welcome was good as free crossing by boat and my room was on the ground floor in block 3, with a terrace that walked into the garden, steps from the pool, beach and bar. Rooms are comfortable and tasteful.

The staff always have a smile and are polite and friendly.

The hotel is all inclusive but I stayed B&B only. I ate twice in the 360 restaurant. The food was good and well presented but a little costly as you’d expect from a hotel of this ranking.

Breakfast was good with plenty of choice.

The beach is always deserted as most people stay by the pool. The pool is lovely and there are plenty of beds and towels.

The entertainment in the bar was good on one of the nights. A live band.

I don’t really have any criticisms and it was what I would expect from a 4* hotel. I think had there been something over and above what I’ve experienced before, I would have rated it five stars but it’s a good solid 4 stars from me.

Thank you for a relaxing 3 days.

Stayed: September 2018, travelled solo

Dear CLB441,

We are all delighted to read that you have enjoyed our variety & quality of the cuisine, the overall facilities, and the wonderful service of our team.

Reviewed September 18, 2018 via mobile

We spent 6 days at Centara CeySands Hotel following a week tour of this magical island,and it was just the icing on the cake !!! We had a great deluxe pool room with the Bentota river behind the pool 5 steps in front and the Indian Ocean in front of that ! What more could you ask for!
Thank you to the very fragrant and competent Nelka on the front desk who sorted out a left behind phone charger and to the many fabulous waiters in Cafe Bem particularly Chamika who never stopped smiling also to our room boy Chanaka who made our stay so comfortable.
We enjoyed a wide and varied selection of food and there was something to cater for every taste ...do visit the 360 restaurant where the standard is high end and we throughly enjoyed our last evening in the beautiful setting.
To sum up we are seasoned travellers but Sri Lanka has to be up there with the Maldives as our favourite holiday,thank you to all for making wonderful memories we will treasure forever.

Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple

Dear Teresa B,

Thank you for visiting us recently and for taking the time to share your positive review with the users of TripAdvisor.

We are all delighted to read that you enjoyed quality of the cuisine, the overall facilities, and the wonderful service delivered by our team. We will certainly pass on your compliments to Nelka,Chanaka & Chamika for their hospitable & friendly service.

Reviewed September 17, 2018

We stayed here after purchasing a discounted package and I have to say we were surprised at how good the resort was. All the staff that we had contact with were extremely friendly and helpful, there is clearly a culture of "guest first" in the propert, which is not always the case in Asian countries. The rooms were big, well appointed and scrupulously clean. Amazing pool with great service from the pool bar staff. The only down spot was a bout of "Delhi belly" for one of us after eating in the restaurant, granted an o cupational hazard in countries where the food handling and preparation protocols aren't always what they could be, but overall a fantastic stay and a resort we would be happy to visit again.

• Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Centara Hotels & Resorts

Dear Wanderer,

We are all delighted to read that you enjoyed the rooms overall facilities, and the wonderful service delivered by our team. It was a pleasure having you with us at Centara Ceysands and we all look forward to welcoming you back again in the not too distant future.