All reviewsayurvedic doctorthe riverfree boatsri lankabentota beachshower areaswimming poolspent nightsrelaxing stayour honeymoonbeautiful locationseafoodbungalowchefjacuzziconsultationmeditation
Reviewed September 4, 2017 via mobile

What a beautiful serene heaven set in a natural and breathtaking setup. The place is big yet very genuine and natural. With several gardens and contemplation spots with every animal and bird that you can think of coexisting seamlessly.
Big modern and separate chalet like rooms with private gardens.
The pool and the jacuzzi are clean and very convenient.
We didn't go the full ayuverda treatment, but we did extensive massage and the herbal oil and the massus "Piyanti" were amazing.
I have also done a beautiful morning yoga session with "piyanti" and the sounds of rain and birds.
The chef "Athula" is a great character and his food is UNBELIEVABLY great.
The owner "Chamal" greeted us personally from the time we arrived and was humble enough to service us himself when needed at night.
The energy of the place is magical and the view on the river is so soothing and serves as a perfect meditation setup.

Food: 5
Service: 4
Price: 4
Convenience: 5
Facilities: 4 with a small gym, pool, jacuzzi, private condos, ayuverdic treatment, massage, gardens...
Energy: 5 super soothing
Style: Calm and natural retreat

Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed July 24, 2017

I lost my money to a theft from the room, so my advice is to be very careful with your valuables while staying here. I believe the cash was stolen by the service staff, while we were relaxing in the green lawn outside the room. That apart, the other negative would be that this place is in a forlorn suburb, far away from the tourist hot-spot and it is very difficult and expensive to get a transport here. The positives are that this place has an extensive green cover with gardens and plants and has a beautiful river-side restaurant with decent food. The owner and the chef are courteous and efficient; I am really disappointed with the other staff after the theft incident. Thankfully it was my last night of stay here, when it happened.
Go for this place if you are into Ayurveda treatment and massages (which by the way is quite steep in its cost) and if you like to spend some lonely time.
Avoid it if you are on a vacation and would like sightseeing.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
Chamal D, Owner at Dalmanuta Gardens - Ayurvedic Resort & Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded July 27, 2017

Dear Sir,
I understand that you have lost the money in the room but we have a room safe in every room and also we have done a room introduction show all the things in the room when the time of your arrival.
we have nice staff and the room boy has been here almost 5 years working with all nationalities who are visiting us we could not blame him at once since we don't have any prior complains about him
thank you for your review.
chamal.

Reviewed May 19, 2017

I returned to Dalmanuta Gardens after four years - I have always wanted to return. We contacted the owner, who arranged for us to have the same accommodation as previously. When we arrived, we were made very welcome and settled in our lovely room, with a peaceful garden area The whole area is beautiful, with a silent garden where we sat and enjoyed the peace. We like to have a swimming pool and this one was warm and clean, with beds for relaxing. There is a free boat to the beach, which is quiet with the hotels hidden by trees etc. There was the same chef, who is fantastic - thank you, Athula. We ate there every night, as the food was so good and the setting by the river was amazing. We had the perfect waiter, Ruwan, who anticipated everything we needed, bringing out our favourite drinks without needing to be asked. I hope Ruwan will still be there when we return, which we definitely will. I saw the doctor, who recommended a diet and herbal medications for my asthma, but there was absolutely no pressure to buy anything. The massage was effective and well worth it, and having had many massages in various street salons in SE Asia, this was entirely different - the staff are obviously well trained. I would recommend this place to everyone.

Room Tip: All are excellent.
  • Stayed: January 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed April 30, 2017

Me and my wife spent 2 nights at Dalmanuta Gardens. What a great find! They have 9 large private villas set in lush green surroundings by the river. We had a very relaxing stay and ate a lot of fresh seafood prepared by the chef. The staff is very warm and friendly and we had a great stay overall. We thank the owner Chamal for his amazing hospitality.

• Stayed: April 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed April 23, 2017

We stayed at Dalmanuta Gardens for 2 nights and had a really relaxing time. The room is clean and spacious with two toilets (one with the shower area, another in a separate small bathroom) and a shower that has an extremely high water pressure. The compound is huge with a lot of trees and flowers - Very beautiful. Food for lunch/dinner was good, but breakfast was poor. I was shocked that they serve curd and yogurt in the plastic container that comes when you buy them in a supermarket (I think usually hotels would use a different kind of bowl). There was no cut fruits, just a huge amount of bread and some Sri Lankan food. The waiter at the restaurant has very limited English language skills, and we struggled to communicate with him. The consultation with Ayurvedic doctor was very interesting and massage was also good. The gym was in a terrible shape with three super old and broken machines, so don't count on exercising there. You can do yoga or swim instead.

Overall we were very happy as the resort is a really nice place to relax, but we left the resort feeling a bit cross because while we agreed in writing on the price for the transportation as 50$ for the transfer from Airport and $30 from Colombo, suddenly the price changed to 10,000 Rs (about $65) from the airport and 8,000 Rs (about 53$) from Colombo. Eventually the manager agreed to the originally agreed price, but we had to pay 50$ to go to Colombo. Perhaps it's better to arrange transportation to/from the resort with a car rental company.

• Stayed: April 2017, travelled with friends